Mass Effect 2 Review @ GH

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by craig5320, Jan 29, 2010.

1. crowTrobot

crowTrobot Active Member

Some of the driving levels were fun but some where tedious and really boring, but I think it was more because of the level design. Some of the planets looked amazing while you had to drive through a snow storm with the locations on each corner of the map on some :/ Also, I got stuck on some impossibly crazy mountain terrain.

How are grenades in ME2? It was hard to aim them and judge the distance on ME1 and I had to throw most hoping that the enemy comes close to it.

2. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I like it so far though not sure why the game crashes a lot for me (ditto for ME1 so it must be by PC) but I've soldering on. It's too good to stop playing. I'm still on the fence regarding the changes to combat and health regeneration. I find most of the weapons handle too much like Gears of War or other console shooters, the shotgun especially feels "off".

Anyone going to post their ME2 character pics? I tried like hell to make mine look like Natalie Portman but they always end up resembling Jennifer Garner.:x

3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Jennifer Garner is way hotter.

4. orion_star

orion_star New Member

There are no grenades in ME2, well unless you count Zaeed's loyalty 'skill'.

crowTrobot likes this.
  5. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I don't have the game yet (going to buy it next month), but so far I read about several small changes and I don't think I like them. It sounds more like the (at least battles related) game has been nerfed, and let's face it, ME1 wasn't exactly the most complex RPG ever.
    I hope I am wrong.

6. crowTrobot

crowTrobot Active Member

lol mine always ended up looking like that actress who played Jill Valentine in Resident Evil 2 the movie.

7. @/2ct!<

@/2ct!< New Member

I just got the game, and I think its pretty cool even though I thought it was going to be nerfed too. I must be the only one that liked the mako(on 360!) and I miss that it is gone entirely. I do like that so far there are no repated levels though, ie the tunnels or standard merc bases on planets. Also, the hacking mini games are better(still easy, but at least resemble some sort of hacking idea rather that button timing).

I was at first annoyed that they essentially swithced infinite ammo with infinite health, but I like this system better because in the first one I just used regen armor anyway and this just means I don't wait around as much. (medi gel is still used for unity though). Codex explains that the ammo packs are geth technology because they allow faster continuos shooting than waiting for weapon cooldowns.->more dps (Which is true because, if you have clips, reloading is about 1 sec for smalll arms, but with my sniper it seems slower because it reloads every shot) Also, the main function for clips seems to be that it forces you to switch guns every now and then because, even though pickups are universal, actual use is not and once you run out for a gun you have more for others. Also pickups are passive walk over, I thought you were going to have to search bodies, not true.

I have mixed feelings on powers. You have less overall selection and thus less flexibiliy on what you can build your character to be. Still, the class differentiation seems so much better with the unique skills than in 1. Something I did not notice mentioned before was power cooldown time. It seems pretty standard 6s to start(my char anyway) which is faster that 1, but any active power starts the cooldown (I hack ai, have to wait 6s to use hack OR any other power again)

8. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

you can get those cool down tmes to just about about nothing in the end.

9. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Not in this lifetime :w00t:

Anyway, here's my character. I've never used a male character in ME or ME2, does it open up a wider range of features (by features I mean "getting it on")?
    [​IMG]

10. nicnik

nicnik In the Land of Snow

I've started a male character; so far by the looks of things you can get "close" any of the female crew members

11. orion_star

orion_star New Member

Jack/Tali/Miranda are possible, I am not sure about Samara, and I did not know you could get Morinth initially so I am not sure about her either.

12. crowTrobot

crowTrobot Active Member

lol I have never played a male character ever since a friend told me "do you really want to stare at male ass for several hours a day" on the topic of playing female characters vs male characters on 3rd person games.

13. orion_star

orion_star New Member

I hardly notice my character when I am playing aside from the cutscenes. Plus I have no interest in romancing males :p

14. crowTrobot

crowTrobot Active Member

haha well you could have a lesbian encounter with the blue chick. lol

15. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

So that's not available if you're a chick? They Bioware block same sex action?

I dunno man, it's gotta be worse playing as a female character and only having romance options with dudes! In ME1 I was trying to bed some of my female crew and the only one interested was the friggen guy. Not going through that again :x

16. crowTrobot

crowTrobot Active Member

17. MythicaL

MythicaL I like computers.

Some screens of my character. She's an Infiltrator:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. SeraphicSorcerer

SeraphicSorcerer Well-Known Member

All I've got to say is having Yhvonne Stravonski, From the Chuck series make this game 10x more awesome.

I played Me for the pc, mako was much better that way and in some ways enjoyable.

19. orion_star

orion_star New Member

Well I suppose it is possible that the Asari teammate might be a romance option for both, but that doesn't really count in my opinion.

They had gay/lesbian romance options in Dragon Age: Origins, maybe they got a lot of flak over it and decided to take it out of ME2.

20. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Only Kelly is an option for a female character. You won't have any fun until the main mission is over, but it'll be worth the wait. Promise. :)

Anyway now that I've finished the game with a female character I started over with a guy, but I feel the voice actor portrays a more stale and uninteresting character. Not going to play through it again soon because of that, and the fact that very few dialogue options change what happens anyway. The last part of the game was super by the way.