Memory Frequency

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by 0rgasmatron, Oct 15, 2010.

1. 0rgasmatron

0rgasmatron New Member

Hello and nice to meet you all!
    I dont know if this is the correct section of the forum to ask but anyway....
    For some wierd resson my pc runs my memories on low frequency (535.1mhz)
    nowhere close to what it suppose to be (1600mhz)
    Does any can give me a hand to fix this?
    My pc specs are under my user name!
    Thank you and appreciate your help!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Actually, more or less, all is well. :) Effective memory frequency is twice what CPU-Z reports, in your case that's 1070MHz (pretty much one of the standard DDR3 speeds, 1066MHz).

Now, your memory is designed to run at up to 1600MHz effectively, but, if the info I have is correct, then the controller on Phenom II X6s don't support that speed (kind of sucks, but it's the same with Intel i7 920 for example).

However, it should support effective DDR3 1333MHz speed (which is what CPU-Z would report as 667MHz or something like that) and you should be able to select that speed in BIOS (either 1333 or 667, whatever your BIOS lists as an option). There could be a snag, though, I'm not sure if the memory controller can support the maximum speed when all 4 slots are used (and I'm guessing that you have 4 x 2GB), so getting above the current speed might not be possible.

3. 0rgasmatron

0rgasmatron New Member

I went through the bios and on my extreme memory profile had already the default settings of the ram as 9-9-9-24 and at auto voltage 1.654 memory recoments anyway 1.65V.Just by accepting that i came out with this
    [​IMG]

Do you think it ll be stable or i need to go back to where it was?

4. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

What Ivan said :)

CPU-Z reports the base memory speed, as you're running DDR3 Memory (Double Data Rate 3, get it? :p) you get twice what it advertises.

Just to add though, as long as it's not super slow (which yours isn't) memory frequency isn't massivley important. Obviously it helps, and you will get more increase from increasing memory speed, but nothing in the same league as you would see from a similar increase in CPU speed, for example.

If you want to get a bit more out of your memory, given that it is running at lower speeds, you could always try bringing the timings down a notch :)

EDIT: You replied at the same time as me. Yes I think it'll be stable, but run prime 95 to be sure.

5. 0rgasmatron

0rgasmatron New Member

I know that many ppl pushed this cpu to 4000mhz but for my usage i dont think is something that i need at the moment, the pc is fast and i dont think i ll notice the difference so much by increasing the frequency of my cpu it ll be just numbers lets say :rolleyes:

6. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Yeah, I'm not saying you need to overclock, just trying to put memory speed increases in perspective as far as performance goes.

7. 0rgasmatron

0rgasmatron New Member

Hmmm after having the memory for few days on 1600mhz the system was kinda unstable as im a gamer of mostly MMOs (wow mostly) i was keep gettin error #132.I went through forums and every1 was speaking about memory overheating, i had some random blue screens and Ati catalyst keep drooping off.I kinda tried everything i didnt done memory test tho yet!My main question and thoughts in same time is did the volt that my mobo applied on the ram was causing the problem?as it was on auto and many times i saw it running over 1.65Volts any suggestions ll be helpful thank you guys...

8. asedsa

asedsa Active Member

Well my sugestion is to set memory frequency at 1333mhz with auto voltage, and you wont have problems, temperature will be ok and your PC (especially motherboard, btw your mobo is great) will live longer and still powerful as well.

Regards

9. 0rgasmatron

0rgasmatron New Member

I dont really know why im going through all this numbers cus my pc is not slow at all and at any point, just it tease me up the 1666mhz as the ocz claims for the sticks!I kinda think that the heat comes cus all my ddr slots are occupied!My mobo as auto clock give the sticks on 1066mhz kinda pity isnt it?I just wonder anyway....

10. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

I would never use auto voltage, as the mobo will always supply more than is essentially needed. Resulting in your case in overheating. If you are going to overclock (which you are doing, by setting the the memory at 1666mhz) do it right and set the voltage manually. It will be much more stable because there will be no voltage fluctuation, and it will produce less heat because setting voltage manually allows you to set it lower than the motherboard will supply when set on auto.

I hope you understand what I just said.

try setting the voltage at the number as it says on the memory. if it doesn't post or it is unstable it need either looser timings or more voltage. When doing this you are overclocking and tweaking settings.
    When you are not comfortable with this, leave it be.. like you said, you think your system is fast enough, so why bother.
    When you search the internet for memory overclocking or cpu overclocking you will find plenty of guides telling you how to do it.

11. 0rgasmatron

0rgasmatron New Member

The problem that im running trough this days is kinda strange....if i turn off the pc, next day i ll get like 4-5 memory management errors blue screen after those the pc is stable all time till with restarts!
    Do i need to start thinking of any faulty stick?or is all about configuration?
    I kinda think of the configuration before the faulty stick cus i made the bios to run default settings!
    Any suggestions guys?
    Thanks again.

12. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

quite often i've seen motherboard underpower the DDR3 when set to auto when cranked up..

change it to 1333mhz.... and keep the voltage on auto just to see.... i'm guessing with the timings and 1600mhz... you may not be feeding the voltage OCZ specifically states is required at 1600mhz..

Default voltage should be plenty at 1333mhz.... i usually see ocz or other companies wanting a bit more for the top speed the memory is rated for. So higher voltage may solve your problem... but i highly recommend you stick with 1333mhz and stock.... things tend to be less problematic.

13. 0rgasmatron

0rgasmatron New Member

I sat the sticks on 1333mhz and i had the pc running 2 days straight no errors till now.Today i made a windows memory diagnostic came out with no errors as i came into the windows after 2 minutes explorer stop responding...this thing starts to make my head in :tears:
    Tonight i ll shout down the system and i ll see if tomorrow morning i ll get any glitch windows starts...
    The question here is , is my memory faulty or is my windows totally for garbage :mad:

14. Judas

download this and burn the image to CD

http://www.memtest.org/download/4.10/memtest86+-4.10.iso.zip

then let it run overnight and see if you have any errors show up.. it's much better then the microsoft tester..

usually if there is a glaring issue with the memory... you'll notice a problem almost emediately.

15. 0rgasmatron

0rgasmatron New Member

Judas, memtest gave me nothing i mean no errors!The problem here doesnt appear when the pc runs for long time!I mean i have it like 4 days now open non stop no blue screens no programs crushing at all.If i shout it down for the night,proally next day the windows for the first 10-20 minutes ll go ape-shit(blue screens every 2-3 minutes or programs crushing constantly) till i ll get a good start. I cant understand the reason!
    Any clues?

16. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

I'm still no fan of auto settings in the bios.

17. 0rgasmatron

0rgasmatron New Member

So after a night shout down, at the morning i ll get all this crap till the pc ll start working! During this blue screens windows starting like nothing is working properly all programs with errors!
    Faulty ram or crapy windows copy?

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      135.1 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      189.4 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      160.2 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      124.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  18. asedsa

asedsa Active Member

Hmmmm, I have one idea worth to try.

First- try to rollback audio driver (version before your current driver)
    Second- try to update audio driver (the latest)

regards

19. Judas

Orgasmatron..

do you have a printer attached?

if so.. can you uplug it..

try unplugging all un-essential devices such as printers... cameras, etc... make sure you only have a mouse/keyboard/monitor and speakers plugged in..

If that doesn't seem to be a cause...

Some of the BSOD's point the finger at a faulty hardrive.. but you've a SSD... so i'm wondering if that SSD is perhaps faulty itself..

I haven't checked if ocz has a ssd drive tester or not...

If you get into windows, go to the drives and run the Scandisk and set them to do a thorough check with automatically fix errors checked ..... you should have to schedule it for next restart.... after which restart and see what happens then.

20. 0rgasmatron

0rgasmatron New Member

Judas mate check your private messages one sec if you can!