Microsoft create Vista Windows 7 compatibility tool

Discussion in 'News Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Oct 28, 2009.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Microsoft have released the final version of its 'Platform Update" for Windows Vista to help developers recreate their applications in Windows 7.

This tool, which is basically a set of runtime libraries was designed by Microsoft to get improved compatibility between Vista and Windows 7. They are offering the Platform Update as a free automatic download via Windows Update and the Microsoft Download Center sites. The updates include Windows Ribbon, portable devices platform, automation and animation manager API's to allow coders to write apps.

This tool was created to help Microsoft customers feel confident in moving from Vista to Windows 7.

More information is available over here

Allan Campbell: Heaven Media

2. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

I'm not sure where the "This tool was created to help Microsoft customers feel confident in moving from Vista to Windows 7" part came from. The compatibility update actually allows users to continue using Vista even if they want new features (DX11 in particular). I think the reason for the update is to allow developers to address the existing user base, and not create the situation that happened with DX10, where users had the hardware but couldn't take advantage of its features, so developers had to use an older API.

3. rajivsci

rajivsci New Member

Well microsoft will be microsoft , They always release those kind of things, The So called compatibility tools, But they never work properly with all kinds of softwares and hardwares. There's some or the other problem there always.

I particularly thing instead of upgrade a fresh install is better. It removes all problems about software fixes and things. But there compatibility system doesn't seems to work as they promise.