Microsoft Mouse 2.0 Demo

Discussion in 'News Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Oct 6, 2009.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Microsoft have published a video on their Youtube channel demoing five different prototype multi touch mice. It is interesting viewing, check it out below.

2. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

I wonder will they all make to the stores ... There might be potential customers for each types ... For me I would like to get the first one ...

3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I like it as technology, and good for them for trying, but I feel failure is in the air. Why move your fingers like that, or even use a second hand, when you can just scroll the eh scroll wheel?

Tell you what Microsoft, here is a suggestion from me, take it and if you make money give me something later on.
    Take a traditional mouse and infront of the mouse wheel, install a trackball like device that can be used with the middle finger. You get all the advantaged of the mice you are researching with a fraction of the cost and with improved speed.
    To send the money to me, just contact me through DH's system.

4. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I'm more or less with Blue (so I want a cut of that money :D), they seem gimmicky, not too handy and not too far ahead of what mice already do (for example, you can use an assigned mouse button to lean in games as it is; a touch sensitive model like the one we saw may give you analog control over the amount of leaning, but it practically requires you to let go of the mouse - not too handy in a shooter). The Side Mouse looks like poor man's Surface and if Surface is really going to be big, then there may be something in that one.

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Interesting, but nothing that had me thinking "wow"....... My Cirque capacitance touchpad can be trained to do a lot of that and it's over 4 years old, so I'm not seeing much here that's new

6. clanman

clanman New Member

It really is hard to replace the conventional mouse isnt it though? the basis concept has stayed the same over the years with technology advancements obviously in the shape of laser and tracking improvements and a lot of button options keeping it relatively 'fresh'.

I can't see anything radical happening that people will move away from the mouse in droves. that OCZ neural stimulator for instance was interesting but it seemed to flop almost immediately.

Still it is good to see Microsoft trying to move the genre on a little. Man, I have to say that guys hands are really creepy in the video :wtf: