MobilityModder.net not fully modding FireGL V5250 to X1700 in XP

Discussion in 'Mobility Modder Discussion' started by Demonfire, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Demonfire

Demonfire New Member

Hmm, perhaps the x1700/5250 are too new to be recognized by these tools and simply require more time to program them in. Confusing, however, it that its obvious that some utility was able to at least read and rip the bios, or else we would not have this copy of it.

Ill keep researching, but i think a quick email to the makers of one of those utilities might be more helpful.

2. dc443

dc443 New Member

I ordered my T60p 15.4" widescreen (1680x1050) on May 8th 07 from the Lenovo site and it cost $1547 after tax, a much better deal than my college offered...

Why is it not worth it?

3. maximal42

maximal42 New Member

Hi, anything new in getting this through?
    I'm just considering buying this laptop, so...
    What a pitty it doesn't have the s-video out. :(

4. mxrev134

mxrev134 New Member

im having the same issue. any news on this upgrade?

5. dc443

dc443 New Member

Well, it looks like Lenovo released drivers, but this was a few months back...

Lenovo Support & downloads - Video driver (ATI Mobility RADEON / FIREGL PCI Express-2) for Windows 2000 / XP - ThinkPad R60, T60, T60p (2007, 2008, 2009, 2613, 2623, 2637, 8741, 8742, 8743, 8744, 8745, 8746), Z61m, Z61p

Does anybody know how to perhaps dig inside this file and change around some stuff, hopefully to accomplish what we're trying to get here?

On various forums I'm hearing estimations of the v5250 being like 12% or 10% slower than a Radeon X1700, but honestly the real performance I'm getting is a lot less (about half?)... I wonder if these people know something I don't, but there just doesn't seem to be that many people around here who have this video chip.

6. Seherezka

Seherezka New Member

Hi,

has there been any progress with this problem? I've been looking everywhere, even tried some Chinese pages, but no luck so far.

I'm still desperately trying to make my T60p more powerful for gaming, since I won't be buying new laptop anytime soon.

If any1 knows something new, please share your knowledge.

7. dc443

dc443 New Member

I am waiting for a solution as well.

8. GAguy

GAguy New Member

The last post may 21th and still no solution??

9. tjdfalcon

tjdfalcon New Member

I realize this is a very old topic, but I am willing to attempt this. I have located a mobility x1700 bios, but I would like to back up the original firegl 5250 bios. The problem is that no program seems to be able to back it up. I have used Atiflash, ati tray tools, and gpu-z and it either said that it did not have a bios or it said that my hardware does not allow the backup.
    Help would be appreciated.

10. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Yes it is an old topic and Spikes area to maintain. I will leave this up to him I can't offer you any help.

11. happylizard

happylizard New Member

12. ebonytyger

ebonytyger New Member

:tears::tears::tears: I love you man!

13. Spike

Spike Driver Cleaner Maker

Hi,

i am sorry to say, but i have no experience with flashing mobility chipsets, so i can't give any advice in it.

The program can't fully modify the card to a x1700, because that requires i thought flashing the bios of the videocard.

14. dozer1

dozer1 New Member

I may be wrong, but I'm not sure there even IS any "video bios" in a T60p.

People keep talking about the fireGL "card"....but there ISN'T any card in the laptop....just a single GPU chip soldered right to the mainboard...and with VRAM chips soldered to the top of it.

It seems more likely to me that the vga bios is simply part of the mainboard bios.

Somewhere on my disk, I have a set of schematics for the t60 mainboard...someday I'll have to find them and see if there's actually a 2nd flash chip, or not.

ps; my own interest in this thread is completely opposite to the OP's...LOL.....I want to REDUCE power....underclock.....shut down unused vram chips if possible....keep the chip out of 3d-mode, if that will reduce power-consumption (since I hardly use 3d).

If anyone has had ANY success in varying the clock-rates on a T60p.....and/or succeeding at any other power-reducing mods, PLEASE post about them in detail!

15. jheyn22

jheyn22 New Member

This is kinda awkward, but I am still looking for an answer for this.
    I am using T60p, 20078hh (quickpath). My OS is w7 6bit can still someone help me? :tears: