Mobo manufacturer chipset features useless?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by BiGBrOwNPimpsta, Mar 31, 2009.

?

Are features like ASUS Ai/EPU, MSI Corecell/DrMOS mostly useless marketing?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

You know, for years I have always wondered are these things like MSI CoreCell, ASUS EPU and Ai and the rest of that all a ripoff? I see reviews on them they do give some improvements, but they way they are marketed seem like nothing on the market like that. Even upgrading my board to a newer Asus one with the EPU, the system noise not any lower from my P5B Deluxe...MSI Corecell on my older MSI P865 board was fairly useless. The software that comes with this stuff just tries too look cool but lacks any help.

I'm not complaining about it, but really is there any worth to these features? Let's make a poll.

2. ChaosMinionX

ChaosMinionX USB 3 dot oh

Most of the time these features do work as intended...however the only drawback to them is really seen when overclocking with them enabled.

Usually the power savings these features are attempting to enact limit FSB and max frequency of a board by little bit or alot in extreme cases.

EDIT: I might add that putting these features on enthusiast class motherboards is pretty useless because enthusiasts are not out to save money since they want the best tweaking and overclocking available. It could really be left out and save a little bit off the boards.

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

The ones i like that are very usefull are things such as quad bios, onboard chipset LED diagnosis.

Bios wise auto overclocking however = useless indeed..

Depends on what they are trying to market... i never setup any of my machines with there mobo tools such as there temperature or voltage programs, or the ability to overclock from within windows, always gave horrid results, nothing aside from true primary manafacturer drives such as intel inf updates and so forth.

4. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

it just really makes me feel like they are trying to emulate a suped up car with this nonesense, give me a board that doesn't burn out and overclock like a mofo instead! ahha.

the slogans are absolutely terrible for ASUS. "Rock Solid. HEART TOUCHING". How does a power saving or overclocking motherboard touch my heart like a sad story? I really don't know. Oh and the other slogan for my old one "Adjust the speed as you wish!". It just sounds so tacky! hahaha. The ASUS EPU slows down my fans a bit for some powersaving, but it doesnt feel substantial. I agree with Judas LED trouble shooting kicks ass.

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i've never understood the asus slogan..... it's like it was made by someone that doesn't even speak english ......

kinda like ketchup on pancakes..... it just... doesn't belong...

6. SeraphicSorcerer

SeraphicSorcerer Well-Known Member

I like salsa on my eggs though.

7. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

I like the Gigabyte dual BIOS really saves on clearing that CMOS O/Cing lol. ASUS has a lot of settings I am still getting used too like 3 settings that all affect memory speed and straps :bleh:

8. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

SAME its awesome, western omlette and salsa. MSI Corecell back in the day like sold me on the board, when I installed it the crap was pretty useless and didn't want to work on XP properly (remind you this was 2003, slower adoption than Vista people don't remember). The board was surprisingly reliable, just not a good overclocker. Did Asus Ai get replaced by EPU? Seems like the same garbage.