Modding a XP2100+ w/ a A7N8X Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by tek, May 3, 2003.

1. tek

tek New Member

I'd like to overclock my XP2100+ with this motherboard... all information (I think that has to do with overclocking) is posted under this) PLEASE help me out guys.. I would SCREAM with joy if I made this 2100 into a 2200 or a 2300.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    CPU Frequency Multiple Setting:
    Auto
    Menu:
    6.5x
    7.0x/15.0x
    7.5x
    8.0x/16.0x
    8.5x/16.5x
    9.0x/17.0x
    9.5x
    10.0x
    10.5x
    11.0x
    11.5x
    12.0x
    12.5x/13.0x
    13.0x
    13.5x
    14.0x

FSB Spread Spectrum:
    Disabled
    0.50%

CPU Vcore Setting:
    Auto
    Menu:
    1.750V
    1.850V
    1.825V
    1.825V
    1.800V
    1.775V

AGP Frequency:
    Auto
    50MHZ
    60MHZ
    70MHZ
    80MHZ
    90MHZ
    100MHZ

DDR Reference Voltage:
    2.6V
    2.7V
    2.8V

AGP VDDQ Voltage:
    1.5v
    1.6V
    1.7V

I went to my motherboard BIOS **** and I wrote all information I THINK HAS TO DO WITH OVERCLOCKING, now if you guys know anything about this, please tell me which EXACT things to change to which option, thank you again. Also I've updated my BIOS to the latest BIOS... if that helps anything? And where are the timings for RAM? Heheh, me r need lotta help.

2. tek

tek New Member

I'm very sorry for bumping, but please ANYONE, tell me which settings to modify. Sorry again.

3. shuki

shuki New Member

set multi to 14x and fsb to 143
    vcore to 1.85
    vDDR to 2.8
    spread spectrum - disabled
    AGP auto

not familiar with your BIOS but your mem timings are there somewhere. CAS to RAS type stuff ;)

Most important thing with OCing is your temps. Before doing anything I would do 2 things:
    1. DL and install and configure motherboard monitor 5 (not asus monitor stuff but true MBM 5) so you can see even now what your idle and load cpu temps are
    2. create a disk image or backup of your entire setup. that or be prepared to reinstall the OS and everything fresh after a format c: as OCing has been know on more than one occasion to completely trash the OS install...

4. tek

tek New Member

SOME current settings.. (important ones)
    CPU External Frequency: 133MHZ
    Memory Frequency: 150% (Resulting Frequency: 200MHZ)
    DDR Reference Voltage: 2.6V
    CPU Vcore: 1.750V
    Memory Timings: Aggressive (8,4,4,3T)

All available settings are on aggressive.

5. tek

tek New Member

Backup my files and stuff.. yeah sure I'll go do that right now, and I'll change what you said.. but how will I know that my chip is now higher ? Like from 2100+ to 2200+ ?

6. Roadee

Roadee Never forgotten

Shuki......are you saying that the 2100 stock clock can be changed from 13x to 14x just from inside the BIOS? I thought that the A7N8X only unlocked the processor to lower multi's and that you had to unlock the processor for that? Shoot me if I am stupid, but I am just wanting to make sure that I am getting this straight.:dead:

7. tek

tek New Member

How would I know if I've OC'ed my XP2100+, will it be under My Computer > Right click, properties > AMD Athlon XPxxxx+ ?

8. shuki

shuki New Member

just a few things:
    1. tek be sure you know how to clear your CMOS on that board. If you try and boot and get a black screen and fans running but no BIOS or POST, clear your CMOS which will result in reseting your BIOS to all default settings.
    2. and you had better do the motherboard monitor 5 thing check your temps before you change anything!
    3. Your memory should be at 100% not 150%. you want same 1:1 ratio with CPU speed
    4. yes rt. click my computer -> properties will give you your speed

again I am not familiar with your BIOS settings at all as I'm an abit man myself. so you'll have to sit down with your mobo manual and determine where the mem settings are (both timings and how to get it to 100% or a 1:1 cpu/ddr ratio)

Roadee, I thought some revisions of that board would do it with only a BIOS update and he said he had latest. worth a try at the very least. if it does not post then he'll know to clear CMOS and come back and report :)

9. tek

tek New Member

Yes I know how to clear CMOS, I just backed up all my important files (I LOVE 52x burner) I'm about to install lastest version of MbM and im OFF to OC!! Yes I have latest BIOS for my revision :)

And that 200% freq for RAM is right, cuz i Have DDR400 ram, 200x2=400 :) I read it in my booklet, thnx

Last edited: May 3, 2003
  10. tek

tek New Member

:( :tears:

I changed the settings you told me to change and all that happened was my monitor would not turn on, so I did the CMOS thing (reseting BIOS), ahh first try = failed, alright... whats next, got any other ideas ? I'll keep trying till I get it.

11. tek

tek New Member

12. shuki

shuki New Member

tek, there is a little button on the bottom of each post labeled "edit" you can click that and edit your post without having to post and post and post ;)

so appears your board will not unlock the cpu for you. the easiest way then is to just leave it on 13x and raise fsb. Go ahead and set same settings as before (vcore etc) only leave the multi at 13x and set fsb to 140 see if it'll boot

13. tek

tek New Member

Ok thanks man, I thought if I hit edit you wouldnt see it because its the last post ;/

14. tek

tek New Member

It WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm now at 1.82GHZ, ok now lets keep going, what's next, I need more ;) What shall I change now..... :)

Also... I set the Ram freq. shit from 150% to 100%, ima try now make it 150% when u tell me what to change next :)

BEFORE OVERCLOCKING:
    [​IMG]

AFTER OVERCLOCKING 1 TIME:
    [​IMG]

Good ?

Last edited: May 3, 2003
  15. yes good temps... here are my settings. You should be thrown up to my speed real easy if you have good cooling. Go here slowly though...

vcore: 1.8
    DRAM voltage: 2.7
    FSB: 200
    Multi: 11
    RAM timings (find it in your bios...): 6-2-2-2
    and i think thats about all you need to know... dont try to get there to fast though... go slow and check your temps. thats what tells you your max speed...

EDIT: ok i just read your posts... what type of core does your processor have? Either way change your mem timings still and then make your FSB 170 to match me... you shouldnt have to raise the voltage on your RAM but you will have to change the core voltage (cpu voltage) in order to stablize it... try it at 1.8 and play some high power games... if it restarts then slowly raise your voltage...

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2003
  16. tek

tek New Member

I dont understand what the core of my processor is ? Can you explain it to me.
    And I saw your settings, it shows Freq. Multiple at 11? Am I supposed to go lower or higher cuz I'm at 13 as you know right now.

My entire system info (taken from 3dmark03 and transformed into HTML)
    http://desue.net/ivan/system.html

17. shuki

shuki New Member

his board unlocks his chip for him so he can change his multiplier. yours is locked so you're stuck at 13x for now. See how high you can go at 13. On my kx7 (locked) I wanted the 13x multi as my GPU would not go higher than 175fsb anyhow. Stay at 13x.

also, back your vcore off by about .05 in BIOS and then see what mbm 5 tells you. looks like its up closer to 1.9v which is a bit high. but temps do look good! Get it to ~1.85 in mbm5

As I said I don't have your BIOS so I don't know if 100% is actually 2x or if you need it to be 200%. Easy way to know though is when you first power up system it should display mem speed on POST screen. Well on my abits it does again not real sure about asus but hope its the same.

Get vcore settled and mem speed settled as you do definitely want to be running 2x whatever fsb is set at for ddr :) Once thats squared away, go for 145. But remember, booting into windows does not = stable! Loop 3dmark2k1 and 2k3 a few times and run sandra mem bandwidth bench on a few burn in loops.

18. unless you have a thourough bred b core for your processor (NOT a palamino) you wont be able to get up much past 1.8 GHz... but if you do have a T-Bred B like i have then you can't get up to as high as me very easily... btw shuki... i still think he doesnt need 1.85 volts on his cpu. Mine is at 1.8 and i am stable...

19. shuki

shuki New Member

you and roadee are both right about the paly/tbred core. I didn't even think paly since tbreds are so common DUH!! But tek the only way to find out is if you pull that cpu out and write down all of the info on the cpu core itself.... And General, he may well be stable at 1.8Ghz at 1.8vcore but I always just crank it pretty good and see how far we can go. We can always scale back later :) A bit worried though as ol tek seems to have disappeared :(

20. what i do is try to have the lowest and most stable voltage i can have... so i will raise it if the speed is not stable and see how high i can go. I know what you mean also, i didnt think about pally's either until i thought of it... then it made so much sense... but to tek just look at the siver core on the processor... or even its color. If the core is square then it is a pally... if it is rectangle and i MEAN rectangle (not it looks like a square but it also looks like a rectangle... it either IS or it isnt...) then it is tbred- b...

edit: Also shuki... i try to think of the simplist things first then work my way up when troubleshooting...