Modding a XP2100+ w/ a A7N8X Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by tek, May 3, 2003.

1. shai

shai Banned

first set it at 100%
    then at sandra go to mainboard information
    under system chpset ill expect the fsb to say 2x140(280 data rate)

2. tek

tek New Member

Yes it does say that buy my settings are FSB: 140, Memory Freq: 150% (209MHz or 239Mhz.. not sure)

3. shai

shai Banned

what does it say in sandra

4. tek

tek New Member

2x140(280 data rate) thats what it says in Sandra, my settings are FSB: 140, memory freq: 150% (209 mhz) I just ran some tests from Sandra, everythings seems to be fine.

5. shai

shai Banned

ok anyway run your mem at 100%(athlon dont get any benifit from running mem higher)
    and then try to overclock again
    btw go to cpu info and tell me what it says
    it should tell you if you have a tberd

6. tek

tek New Member

FUCK, its a Palomino :(

Should I try to set Mem freq to 100% and then try to do WHAT ?

7. shai

shai Banned

100% and try to overclock further becuse its a 2100 paly it wont overclock well):
    did you buy it recently if so i would attempt to replace it

8. tek

tek New Member

Nope.. bought it a while ago.. it's ok I dont care, I just want a slight overclock.. just to feel 'cool' :bleh:
    I set Mem. Freq to 100% and Resulting Freq now is 140Mhz (x2) which is 280, which I think your right shai is supposed to be.

:D But SOFII still freezes.. :[ but GTAIII doesnt freeze.. ever :sigh: I dun get it... I just gotta fix this freezin problem, thats it.
    Shai what should I raise to try to overclock more? Should I increase FSB by two and try to boot? Which settings shud I increase.

EDIT: As I said before games freeze up, cstrike when turned on connected to a game restarts my computer :mad: So I say forget it... I've tried everything possible.. seems this XP2100+ Palomino just cant handle it, thanks for all the help guys.. its been a tough and fun process.. eehhe, but as I say, I'm done.. I'll just stick to my good ole "Aggressive" feature in BIOS. My next project is OC'ing my Asus GeForceFX 5200 TD, if you have any info.. post here, thanks again.

Last edited: May 5, 2003
  9. tek

tek New Member

Current Settings:
    FSB: 133MHz
    Multiplier: Auto (13x)
    Memory Frequency: 100% (Resulting: 133MHz)
    Memory Timings: 6, 3, 3, 2.5T
    FSB Spread Spectrum: Disabled
    AGP Spread Spectrum: Disabled
    VCore: 1.800V
    DDR Reference: 2.7V

*1731MHz*

I'm just gunna leave it at this.. unless you guys have any suggestions? Like should I just disable FSB spread spectrum?

10. shai

shai Banned

im sure you can lower your timings

11. shai

shai Banned

btw if its a paly you can up the volts to 1.95
    and mybe overclock better with that

12. shuki

shuki New Member

no way, not in a million years would I put any palamino cpu at 1.95v on air!! your cpu and your call but this shuki would never even THINK about doing that...

and Shai, you should know you can not trust Sandra or any windows program for that matter, over the POST screen. If it says 140 at POST then your mem speed is 140mhz. If it says 280 then your speed is 280mhz. Regardless of what any windows based program tells you, the POST screen speeds are correct.

tek, I will DL your manual and have a read about the 100% 150% settings... then come back and edit this post with my suggestion. Though judging by your previous posts, it would appear that it should be set to 200% in order to be at 2x data rate (fsb). DDR = double data rate. If data rate is set to 140 (fsb) then your mem is to be DOUBLE that DATA RATE at be at 280. Anything less is an underclock on the part of your memory and a jip in the OC arena...

edit - sync is the option you want.

and yes, keep all spread spectrum stuff disabled.

13. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

I agree with shuki, I would certainly not push the CPU to 1.95 on air. if you are getting into that hardcore end of overclocking, then spend the cash on watercooling or refridgeration/promethia.

14. shai

shai Banned

i disagree i saw lots of palys hold up on 1.95 perfectly fine
    you might need normal cooling sk7 or better
    but you can do it i know alot of ppl who recommend it
    2v+ now thats hardcore
    ok and shuki one proof would be that he'll run 200% and hes computer wont startup

15. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

you saw lots where? what temps? what heatsinks? I do NOT recommend getting into the 1.95-2 core volt setting on air, to push a CPU that far on air is NOT recommended.

there is absolutely no point running at those core volts because

1: even if it does boot, the CPU life will be degraded.
    2: initially it may not show, it might take a few months for problem issues to appear.
    3: if you WANT to overclock hardcore, you GET hardcore cooling.

16. shuki

shuki New Member

just how many exactly have you seen?? and any links on the multitudes that you have seen?

air cooling and 1.95vcore is just insane regardless of which hsf combo you use

those people then really should reconsider their recommendations because someone is gonna have fried palamino if they try that at home

Going from 1.95 up to 2v (talking .05v here) does not = hardcore! 1.95 on air is extremely hardcore already!

my advice after reading his manual was to set it to sync... and if his ddr 400 will not run 280 then something is really wrong with his memory sticks themselves....

17. Roadee

Roadee Never forgotten

I have a XP2100+ Paly sitting here if you want to see what 1.95-2.0 volts will do to it on air cooling........it isn't pretty, and it took out my Asus A7V333-R board and messed up a stick of OCZ PC2700 512mb that now only reads 256!!!

DON"T DO IT...............DONT LOOK AT THE LIGHT!!!!! pzzziiiittttttt...........:D

18. shai

shai Banned

no wonder with stock cooling i wouldnt go over 1.85
    and as for shuki i said 2+ not 2

19. Roadee

Roadee Never forgotten

That wasn't with stock cooling......that was with a CoolerMaster HHC-001 w/80mm fan conversion. If you have a Paly that will handle it without extreme cooling like water/refrigeration.....great, excellent, your one of the lucky ones. Just keep in mind that ALL cpu's vary in there capability to handle over clocking and voltage increases/mods. Just because your's can handle it and you know other's that can handle it doesn't mean that his will. And in my opinion it would be very bad advice to give to a person just starting out in over clocking. The best I could ever get the Paly that I had was to 139 stable or 1807 fsb to make it a XP2200+. If I went to 140.....things would mess up. It didn't make any difference on the memory or anything else, I swapped out everything, and tried every setting. I buddy of mine has a 2100+ on his A7N8X deluxe right now and is using XMS 3500 memory and can't get over 138 for stable everyday use. Not all CPU's will perform the same. Tek should be using a BASIC overclock to a 2200+ and just live with it until he can get a better processor and some cooling solution's that are intended for overclocking, and does a lot more research on the subject instead of learning on the fly.

Just my opinion!!

20. shai

shai Banned

thats as bad as the stock one

CoolerMaster HHC-001 w/80mm fan conversion thats as bad as the stock one according to reviews that is