Modified Xbox 360s blocked from Xbox Live

Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by MIG-31, May 18, 2007.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

Source: Shacknews
    Microsoft has announced via the Gamescore Blog run by several of its marketing employees that it has begun restricting Xbox Live access to consoles which have been physically modified against the system's terms of use. Users whose machines are detected to have been modified will receive an error of status code "Z: 8015 - 190D" along with an explanatory message.

"This console has been banned for violations of the Terms of Use," the message reads. "To protect the Xbox Live service and its members, Microsoft does not provide details about console bans. There is no recourse for Terms of Use violations."

Significantly, the ban applies not to Xbox Live accounts but to specific physical console units. Owners of banned consoles will still be able to retain their Xbox Live accounts and use them on other machines.

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Sweet!

3. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Mouhahahahaha ;)

4. GutterPunk

GutterPunk I = Greatest Dood

5. shteve

shteve New Member

Not sure why people are so happy about this tbh. It just means that you're banned if you 've enabled your console to use backed up versions of your games - it doesn't mean that cheaters are banned.

6. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Yes, I surely beleive everyone who did this was to make backup of games... :uhoh: You do know that MS will give you a brand new DVD of their games if damaged?

Anyways, it's just "fair".

7. >GSXR<mrbusa

>GSXR<mrbusa MY BIKE vvv

You have to remember that the standard Joe needs structure and guidelines just to get through the day. They believe what they are told and what they can see and not realizing that there judgment is based off of implanted information.
    If anybody who actually believes that the technology that enables a company to determine if a piece of hardware was physically altered and doing so online is to combat piracy then I want some of what you are smoking.

8. clicker666

clicker666 New Member

Not exactly. My NFS:MW had some nasty scratches on it, (thought it was the problem with my 3RL, but that's another story), and MS told me to go to EA. EA told me I had to pay for a replacement.

9. Sandok

Sandok New Member

That's a EA game, not a Microsoft game ;)

10. MIG-31

Microsoft told you to go to EA'S support for one reason.NFS MW was produced by Electronis Arts....

If the Game was opened as new and the disk had scratches then the store you bought the game from should replace the game.,with no charge.

If this disk has been used then EA are correct in saying you have to pay for a replacement disk.If you think about it any one can play the hell out of game,damage (even by accident) the disk and try to claim a Free replacement disk.

11. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Does this just include modded firmware? How about folks who modded the original xbox into a media station?

12. clicker666

clicker666 New Member

Sooooo.... if I have a non-M$ game, and there's a definite potential for damage with the 360 drive, then it stands to reason that I should be able to legitimately backup my non-M$ games then, right?

BTW: I have an new, under warranty 360, and I'm not messing with it. This is a purely hypothetical argument.

My concern is that I really don't get off on the current state of EULA. If I buy your console I expect to be able to do whatever I want to it. If it fails and the failure is related to my actions, then I expect not to be covered. The same with a car. If you put lowering springs on your vehicle and the suspension fails, then you shouldn't be covered. However if your engine splits in two you are covered. If M$ wants to lease me a rental console in the same manner as my DVR box from my cable company then hell, I won't touch it ever. But if I buy it right out I expect to be able to do whatever I want.

13. Sandok

Sandok New Member

What, does that mean you should be allowed to tinker with everything you own? The simple reason you can't is because MS would firstly not be able to know that it has a stable base for games and such (plus techsupport and all would find their work MUCH tougher) and its copyright infringement no?

14. clicker666

clicker666 New Member

If I lay down my money I should be able to screw around with anything I own. As I said though, if my tinkering is the cause of the failure then it shouldn't be covered.

Necrosis likes this.
  15. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

I have to agree as long as I don't break anything legal I should be able to do whatever I like.

16. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Even if its illeagal? Mod chips and such aren't legal by far you know ;)

17. MIG-31

Please don't interpret what i said towards you're self,it was meant to be in general opinion.

Of course you can tinker with whatever you choose.

18. clicker666

clicker666 New Member

Don't worry Migs, I'm not taking it any wrong way - mature discussion on a subject is always welcome.

Sandok - The legality of mod chips depends on where you live, as does the legality of music downloads, etc.

My main issue is that I find this whole EULA somewhat draconian.

19. Brutality

Brutality Active Member

Crap...There goes the plan to buy a Box... Guess i'll upgrade my PC then and get an Xbox controller for that console feeling.

20. zaim

zaim Well-Known Member

thats why you buy 2 xbox's