Monitor. What would you do?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by WyreTheWolf, May 25, 2002.

1. WyreTheWolf

WyreTheWolf Wolfish Bastard

I needed a new monitor, So I bought the SAMSUNG SyncMaster 955DF. What monitor would you have gotten?

And what resolution would you run a 19" monitor in?

2. brc64

brc64 Zeeky H. Bomb

I'm probably gonna go with an LCD screen for my next monitor because it's a WHOLE LOT better for your eyes. As for 19" resolution? It all really depends on what your tastes are and how good your vision is. A lot of people go with relatively low resolutions because they find it much easier to see that way. I'm the other way around.. I like to make everything small, so I get plenty of room to work with. I'm running my 17" monitor at 1280x1024 right now. :)

The other important factor when determining a resolution is the maximum refresh rate at that resolution. I'm about the only person on earth who doesn't seem to mind 60 Hz (which is good, 'cause my monitor won't do this resolution with anything higher), but most people prefer faster refresh rates. That probably doesn't help much.. :p

- Me

3. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

I run 1280x1024 @ 85 Hz on my 19" - looks nice.

Any higher and the fonts get a bit small for my liking. Plus, many applications don't like "Large Fonts" being used - unlike the Linux platform where most applications still look good.

4. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

I have a 19" LCD and 1280x1024 is as high as it will go, and I'm running at 60hz. Actually this is the recommend resolution for my monitor. I don't have to worry about refresh since it is a LCD, plus DV-I is nice too. Really it's hard to say what to go for, CRT's and LCD's both have their strong points. Most of know you what I'm talking about. I haven't noticed blurring at all on my LCD as far as games go. However, bad thing about LCD's is you have to worry about dead pixels. I have three on mine but their out of the way. Actually something funny about that. I used to have an old Toshiba laptop that had one dead pixel smack dab in the middle of the screen, kinda nice really for gaming. LCD's are much better for your eyes, but cripes their bright. It took me a few days to get used to mine, now everything else looks fuzzy and dull.

5. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

I'm running 1280x960 @ 120Hz on my 21"Trinitron. never had a problem with me eyes.

Whatever monitor one buys, the only thing I suggest is that it has a Trinitron tube with AR coating.

My display is like gorgeousness and gorgeosity made flesh.
    Other words I would use to describe it are "tight" and "phat".

:D :D

6. DaSnIpE

DaSnIpE Driverage Snipe

I need a larger monitor (I like mine but only 17") but I'd rather get Klispch Promedia 5.1's 1st, lol

7. sinjin

sinjin the last samurai

i have the same flat screen...running at the recommended 1280x1024x75hz locked.

all is well, other than it takes up way too much desk space and you've all heard of my popcorn popping capabilities on the top of it during the summer. [​IMG]

8. WyreTheWolf

WyreTheWolf Wolfish Bastard

There must be something wrong with yours. The flat screen monitor that I am using barely puts out any heat at all. Seems kind of strange that yours would get so hot....

9. alewisa

alewisa New Member

Use a Mitusbishi 21" on the workstation, everything else has Sony 19" PSD400 flat screens, which are gorgeous.

next purchase will be LCD, probably Philips 180's (18" black)., togther with Parhelion for the DVI interface.

What was nice, I spent NY2000 in Zurich. Girlfriend and I went into an Internet cafe. Man, they know how to do that over there. Dont know what hardware they were using, but all the screens were Silicon Graphics 21" LCDs, and the display was razor sharp and pure sex.

ne thing about LCD displays, imho. Don't hook up to the standard VGA out. Use DVI. The analogue conversion results in a blurred image. I say imho, as other's experience might differ, but all the LCD's in use here, and other places, have suffered same experience. Nothing empirical in that, I dont know what fgx cards were used (ATI here, not sure elsewhere).