MSI Canada Announces Availability of the New 12.1” Wind U210

Discussion in 'News Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Oct 20, 2009.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

MSI Computer, a leading manufacturer of computer hardware products and solutions, is excited to announce the availability of the new Wind U210. Weighing in at just 3.2 pounds, Wind U210 is MSI’s first notebook to feature the AMD Athlon Neo MV-40 1.6 GHz processor. The newest edition to the Wind family of ultraportables, also features a 250 GB hard drive, 2GB of DDR2 memory, and an energy efficient 6-cell battery with a 4+ hour life.

MSI paired the Wind U210’s 12.1” HD (1366x768) 16:9 aspect ratio LCD with ATI Radeon X1250 for crystal clear graphics. The combination delivers a bright widescreen visual experience with exceptional color saturation and crisp imagery.

The Wind U210 also features MSI's EDS (Ergonomic De-stress) keyboard with keys that are 51% larger than those on a standard keyboard. The larger keys greatly improve finger contact range, which reduces stress on fingers and wrists to provide a more comfortable typing experience.

Additionally, MSI included a 1.3M webcam, HDMI port, 3 USB 2.0 ports, VGA port, and a 4x1 card reader in the U210.

The new Wind U210 is available now at CanadaComputers.com, Ncix.com, PCCyber.com and Otvtech.com and starting at $429. MSI offers a 1-year limited warranty with the U210 and extended customer services hours at 1-888-614-6674.

Attached Files:

• msi.jpg
      msi.jpg
      File size:
      31.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I have one at my store right now, and truth be told, at first I was impressed by it. Decent speed (although it's hard to judge if it's "faster" than an Atom chip as the unit responds just as fast as their Atom based Winds), the ATI X1250 stands out as plus as does the HDMI port (haven't tried HD video yet.. will do tomorrow).. overall not a bad unit, but it has a big flaw in my opinion: the screen. Sure, it may be big, bright, and sharp, but running down both sides of the screen is a very noticeable back-light bleed-through about 1mm wide. On the right side it isn't too bad, but on the left side it's bloody annoying.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  3. HardwareHeaven

Do you think it might just be a deficiency with that particular laptop or are you pretty sure its a flaw with the range?

4. Tipstaff

That I can't say. The only way to verify whether it's just a one time lemon, or an overall problem would be to grab another one. Problem for me is that my biz partner will more than likely not want to purchase another, especially if the client we bought this one for doesn't buy it because of this issue.

We've had it for a couple days now, and it's a rather nice unit. It'd be a shame that a flaw like this kills it for MSI. Tomorrow I'm going to call my distributor, and see if they can double check one that they have. I'll also take a picture if I can to show you guys what I mean about the bleeding.

5. HardwareHeaven

Thanks Tipstaff, great info.

6. Tipstaff

Well, you were right on, Allan. It was a lemon. The distributor has had a handful come back with the exact same issue out of about 20 or so sold, but the other units seem to be fine (including the replacement I got).

7. HardwareHeaven

that is a bit of a relief then, hope you guys managed to get it replaced ok.