My "Baby" Daughter turned 40 on 3/1

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Dyre Straits, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids and 1 Great-grandson!

The past couple of weeks have been a time of preparation getting ready to celebrate the incredible life of my youngest...my baby daughter.

I have 2 boys and 2 girls, 10 grandkids, and a great-grandson.

We had her celebration at the local Folk's Kitchen last evening with family members present. All four of the "kids' were present, her mom [we're divorced] and my mother, who will turn 90 next month. Additionally, my baby sister and her husband and my step-dad (of six years), and my son-in-law's mom and step-dad were there.

It's quite interesting to see just how many photos...and videos, even...that we've taken over her 40 years. That's what has kept me from being present here except for quick visits the past couple of weeks. I organized photos, videos, and other memory-related items in order to put together a presentation for her celebration.

At first, it was going to be a video. Then, I thought, a printed photo album would be nice. Ultimately, I opted on a simple slide show to put on a flat screen TV I took to the gathering. (After I realized I had over 40 GBs of data to deal with. :) ) Everyone said they really enjoyed the slideshow. It lasted nearly the entire evening as we ate together, shared memories, and other chit-chat.

I'm so very proud of all my kids and their families. And, I love them all to the ends of forever!

Trusteft, Mr Cairo, IvanV and 2 others like this.
  2. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

Dyre Straits likes this.
  3. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

cool

40yo though. I mean when your kid is 40... :D

(mine turns 19 in a couple weeks... scary)

Dyre Straits likes this.
  4. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Congratulations! It's beautiful how you cherish one another.

Richy, is that worse than her turning 18 last year?

5. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Wow that a big family you have there Dyre and that all sounded awesome it must be great to have so many generations in one room. My own Son turns 18 in 2 weeks and that alone scares me more than anything :)

Dyre Straits, Calliers and IvanV like this.
  6. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

in her teens she’s still a kid, but 19 is just months away from being in her 20’s, and that’s practically grown up

part of me still thinks of her like this

[​IMG]

Dyre Straits, Calliers and Trusteft like this.
  7. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I understand. It's a bit of a linguistic / cultural difference, I am fully aware of the teen years, but I just don't assign the same weight to a person being inside or outside of that category. Here, the 18th birthday has long been the milestone. After that, you're eligible to vote, drive, marry, be conscripted into the military, you're more or less finishing high school (most people finish high school in the year they are turning 19)...

As for the pic, I get you, it matches the mental image of a kid. An adorable one. :) Definitely not a 19 year old, though.

Calliers likes this.
  8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Congrats Dyre

Dyre Straits likes this.
  9. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids and 1 Great-grandson!

Yes, we actually had FIVE generations accounted for at this celebration. My mom, me, my daughter, a grandson and a great-grandson. My mom will be 90 on April 15. :)

niceguyrichy, Mr Cairo and Calliers like this.
  10. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Uunfortunately my family has gone the other way 20 years ago it was my mum and my 3 older sisters and an older brother (my dad passed away back in 77), over the last 15 years I lost my mum, my oldest sister, Brother , my middle sister passed away just after Christmas this year so just me and my youngest sister left now, (she had a triple heart bypass at 40 and has lived 10 years more than expected)

So for me my family reunions are much smaller .... I am quite envious I wont lie, My Son is my world though (as it is for most parents) hopefully I will see grandkids before I go :)

Dyre Straits likes this.