My new watercooled rig - pics

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by tastyweat, Aug 28, 2004.

1. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

you're lucky - I'm not and I didn't have access to that stuff... I tried once more and it wouldn't even start up - psu gone - was able to dry the stuff out - used a neighbours machine to test the parts - here's the damage report:

x800xt pe forked
    1gb corsair XL forked
    abit ic7 max 3 forked
    raptors gone - one completely - the other acting weird
    psu gone
    3.2 northy gone

audigy 2 ok
    dvd burner ok
    120gb maxtor ok
    60gb seagate ok

emmm... I think that's everything

alot more water than I thought had gone over the parts... I found out how much when I got the parts out of the case! must've been nearly 50ml

It's not a good day... the leak must have started before I brought a mate back... I loaded up MOH: PA demo and it was behaving weird... it was very slow... then i loaded up the ruby demo to show him and at 1280x1024 with 4xAA I was getting less than 15fps!!!!!! didn't expect anything straight away... so I shut it down eventually, emptied the system and installed the gpu block - the started it back up and noticed the leak then... too late... and all these parts are forked.... i just need to try and get the receipts together now to claim on the insurance

oh - and the waterblocks + pump + rad are fine - lol - i'll be selling them on and i'll move to lga775 setup with air cooling - i can't be bothered with the hassle

2. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

with the amount of money, time and effort i've put into this computer and the effort going into earning the money to go into the computer - this is ver upsetting and frustrating

3. SIK_L_CELL

SIK_L_CELL Cowboy From Hell

Sorry to hear that (even more so that I recommended some of those parts) What was the source of the leak?

4. CaptinSxb

CaptinSxb New Member

Damn that sucks. Hopefully you can get some of your money back somehow.

5. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

looks as though it was my own fault - something around the cpu block was the leak... i may not have fitted one of the tube tie/lock things quite well enough or it could have come dislodged when I was adding the gpu... I don't know for sure.

Looks as though i will be able to claim the money back from the insurance as long as i can source receipts!

6. SIK_L_CELL

Once they spin the tie is no good anymore, that is what I found. Gotta be real careful.

7. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

yeah... well... giving up on watercooling and will move to a 3.6GHz LGA775 Prescott, abit 925x mobo, 1gb corsair ddr2-667, X800XT PCI E... all with stock air cooling! no more fecking wc

8. Geminiwave

Geminiwave I Have lovely Breasts

go find those reciepts pal! I would go insane if my comp fried. I'm poor but I worked really hard to get $700 up for my tower. I got everything hellah cheap(i thought anyway) and built my comp. Not the best but I'm proud of it. Anyway its not nearly as good as yours but I still flip out when it makes an odd sound or something.

9. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

It took me a hell of alot of time and effort to build up the money for this rig... I'm only just 17... I've spent ALOT of money on this computer over the past year and I am going mental at the moment - lol - I won't be able to calm down until my mum has been able to contact the insurance company.

I've found a way around getting the receipts - I can take it into my local computer shop and get them to do a signed inventory of the broken parts to send off to the insurance company... the damage is weighing in at well over 1000GBP ($1800).

x800xt pe forked - 370-380GBP
    1gb corsair XL forked - 220GBP
    abit ic7 max 3 forked - 130GBP
    raptors gone - one completely - the other acting weird - 70GBP each (140 total)
    psu gone - 70GBP
    3.2 northy gone - 180GBP

that's approximately 1120GBPs worth of damage :( :( :(

10. SIK_L_CELL

Give the stuff some time. I have had water leaks and was about to slit my wrists. Try to dry everything, use a hairdryer. Unless something shorted and got damaged it should work again. Dont give up on it yet. My Mobile 2600 and NF7 got totally soaked in the Hurricane a few weeks ago and it all works.

11. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

stuff did get fried - burning smell :( :( :( - chip fried which hurt mobo and x800xt fried - and the psu shorted out which buggered up the raptors

12. G@MeBoY

[email protected] makes your mouse tremmble!

bad luck...veery bad :( I had leackage also, few times during testing, but I fixed it....

13. Geminiwave

Geminiwave I Have lovely Breasts

wow! I'm also 17 btw, and damn I wish I had that kind of money. My brother has that much and he spent it all on a laptop with an Athlon 64...crazy punk.

Anyway I'm happy with my tower. My 2800+ has NEVER reached 100%. Doom3 gets it up to around 65%. Its great. And its got tons of OC potential anyway.

The only problem is that darned graphics card of mine....i always feel like its too slow. lol ah well.

14. WisMerHill

WisMerHill New Member

Ahhh man.... that really sucks tasty.. got no words for it. :( i feel for you.

I hope you can salvage something or at least get it refunded by your insurance.
    tbh, did you let it run outside the case for a couple of hours, or at least with no power to your pc components ? if you didn't i'm not gonna blame you but it's wise to do next time. Just don't connect hardware to power, only the pump needs power to test, let it run overnight and check the following morning, if your components stayed dry then you can hook up the psu for a testrun.

wish you the best m8, gl

15. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

initially I ran it outside of case overnight.... then there was some moving and I added the gpu block - but it had already started leaking before the gpu block was added - and the gpu block never leaked either! lol

16. WisMerHill

WisMerHill New Member

so definatly a case of bad luck, maybe some carelessness but still very unlucky, hope your insurrance comes trough.

17. G@MeBoY

I realy dont know how the tubbing moved, I even dont use hossings and when I want to remove tubbing I have to cut it with scalpel or knife, it doesent want to come of any other way...

18. WisMerHill

WisMerHill New Member

He probably just used a more flexible hose or one with a slightly bigger diameter. I've been using several different types/materials of tubbing and one just fits tighter then the other. It's really unlucky to have so many small "issues" that combined become a major problem.

19. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

yeah... the hose was very flexible... it wasn't great stuff

20. G@MeBoY

you should try regular PVC tubbing. Look at pictures of my sistem that I posted earlier, you will see that I don't use hosings at all, and also you will see that tubbing is quite firm.