My new watercooled rig - pics

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by tastyweat, Aug 28, 2004.

1. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

Ah well... I'm going to move to LGA775 now... there's a 3.46GHz (1066FSB) P4 S775 Extreme Edition coming out mid-october which is still based on the galatin (the 3.76GHz EE with 1066fsb is based around the scotty - ekk) - so I'm going to get that - and I won't want to water cool anymore... I might overclock it a little on stock cooling - I've heard from a reliable source that the stock cooling is actually pretty good - so meh

2. WisMerHill

WisMerHill New Member

a wise man, taking a wise route :D

nah seriously, i can understand you. i doubt if i would have the guts to use watercooling again after it destroyed my entire system. and nowadays with all the heatpipes and other enhancements made to aircoolers they are a viable alternative again. Meaning not to have those alpha fans at 6000RPM howling trough your livingroom :)

But for me and now, i'll keep my h2o. still love it , tho sometimes i really miss the simplicity of basic aircooling, now it's quite a job to switch components.

3. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

yeah... I wanted it to quiet my computer down and have better cooling - but it was noisier - lol!

this stock intel cooler is controlled by the mobo... it will go down to 1300rpm... whisper quiet - I'll get all my system fans on a fan controller and get a globalwin silent PSU to replace my dead akasa - that way my computer will be quiet as a mouse and fast as a cheetah :)

The following system will be 27/28k ish stock in 01se and about 13.5k stock in 03:

3.46GHz (1066fsb) S775 Extreme Edition (Gallatin core)
    1 or 2GB Corsair DDR2 667MHz (4-4-4-8)
    Abit or MSI or Asus 925XE mobo
    Sapphire or Asus X800XT PCI E

and I'm going to make it so that it is sub 25db 24/7 - most of the time - when running stock - the system will be running sub 20db :) - whisper quiet :)

4. WisMerHill

WisMerHill New Member

Hehe, allready welcome to the club of silent computing :D

My h20 setup does run more silent then air, definetly when overclocked (as it always is actually) At the moment my main 120mm fan on my rad runs at 12-1300 RPM and total systemvolume is under 25dB's, last time i measured it was 23dB but i have changed hardware since, now it's even a bit more silent, the noisiest thing i can hear is the occassional rattle of my raid array.
    As a coincedence it almost runs the same performance you're looking at tho not at stock , logical offcourse with a x800pro instead of xt but just wait till i've reflashed it :)
    I think silence is really important in computers, we have some old shuttle xpc's here t work and they just make an awfull lot of noice, i hate the things, it really gets on my nerves if i have to work all day with them, luckily i have a newer type which is soo much quieter.
    Nice choice of components btw.

5. Geminiwave

Geminiwave I Have lovely Breasts

my computer is anything but silent...the problem is that i still live with the family and they are so noisy, so honestly it doesnt make a damn bit of difference.

My dads comp just bit the dust(hes in denial...he says that bluescreens every 20 min in XP are normal. HAH) so im gunna build him a new one and I'm definatly looking at making everything as silent as possible. Too bad the PSU isnt silent :'(

6. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

hehe... the akasa psus are great... 19db - just about inaudible.

I'm going to get a globalwin... something like 17db - they are truly silent - gotta be the best PSUs on the market - but damn expensive

7. G@MeBoY

[email protected] makes your mouse tremmble!

I must state one thing, some of you may not agree, I needed to put my old thermal take 11+ and I got 2C better temps on idle then on watter. BUT upper tem[s are 4C lower on watter but with my titan cooler master runnin' on high witch is lowder then TT11+ on 4000rpm...

8. SIK_L_CELL

SIK_L_CELL Cowboy From Hell

That is true. I notice it too, but load is where I want the drop. :D