My Rig! (56k warning)

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by H3X4D3C1M4L, Jun 28, 2006.

1. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Well everyone else does one of these, and now that I've gotten off my lazy arse and found out how to use my ISP's webspace I'm gonna do it so (I find these interesting)

So. This is my typical workspace (bit of a mess, still have to wall mount my speakers and unpack the rest of my hardware from the move in December :x ). The desk I made myself out of Canadian maple to support the two monitors (it even holds me and a friend as well :D)

[​IMG]

This is the side panel of my case and where I jack into the world. On the other side of the wall is the crawlspace, which I have my server in and all the LAN run throughout the house. I put 2 LAN ports in this wall socket as well as an RJ11 for phone and a coax for my AiW when it works. Note the shiny-ness :D

[​IMG]

This is the inside of my system. Believe it or not I cleaned it 1 month ago, but with this much airflow.... it never stays clean :bleh:

[​IMG]

This is what it looks like with the flash off and the blue cathodes on. 2 years ago if you told me I'd have a glowy system I'd have smacked you and called you a liar. :rofl:

[​IMG]

Bad shot here but I painted the two 5.25" hard drive fans to be the same colour as the case... couldn't find plastic paint in the same colour as my case so I just used the metal paint which came out OK.

[​IMG]

2. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Glamor shot of the AiW X800XT and the VF700 :D (with an Audigy 1 gamer and a few USB brackets). Again excuse the dust, I just did it a month ago...

[​IMG]

This is where all the airflow is. At full blast I have 200+ CFM running through this area alone :D

[​IMG]

The top blowhole and a shot of the modular cables... up until 3 months ago I had no fan guards on the inside and when tooling around I'd cut my fingers badly cause I was too lazy to turn the fans off :oops:

[​IMG]

This is where the rheostat connections come out. $8 bucks at Canadian Tire and I got some automotive heatshrink tubing which helped clean up the cables really nicely and as a side effect insulates them nicely.

[​IMG]

The northbridge fan (which, though the smallest fan, can still be heard even with the Tornado around 60%), as well as the shiny RAM :D

[​IMG]

3. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

This is what it looks like with the side panel on. I didn't use plexiglass for the side window, nor did I just leave it bare (which is what it looks like), there is actually a piece of glass I have glued on there with ultra adhesive from Home Depot. Its way nicer than plexiglass, doesn't scuff or look ugly after a while, and has better thermal properties.

[​IMG]

This is what it looks like from the side. The painting I did in the middle of the mighty Canadian winter in my garage... I had two old haggard style heaters keeping it above 0 (not much above), the paint I brought inside to dry overnight. The wet sanding and such took a while, when all was said and done it took 5 days to complete. I followed the guide in Maximum PC almost to the letter, except instead of using a rubbing compound and glaze at the end, I used Turtle Wax polishing compound... and it worked WAY better I think.

[​IMG]

Finally, a shameless view of the front with all my case badges :D. The rheostats are all hooked to fans, yes there are alot and it is kind of ridiculous but it allows very good noise control/airflow control.

[​IMG]

Any questions :D?

4. SexPistoL

SexPistoL New Member

Looks great m8,
    Do you have to sit with headphones on, when all of those fans kick in ?

5. atilover48

atilover48 New Member

Looks nice. But why is there so much dust. Sorry didnt read your post right lol. Overall its nice.

6. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Actually I've gotten used to it...compared to the 3000 CFM furnace blower I have behind me it isn't that bad :)

7. atilover48

atilover48 New Member

Does it get very loud?

8. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

The furnace blower can... its got a jumper board so I can tune how loud it is but I usually keep it on full and yeah that gets loud but its not as high pitched as some of the PC fans its just a really loud whoosh

9. SexPistoL

SexPistoL New Member

Hey Hex,
    where are the intake fans, are they at the front in the top ?

10. kn00tcn

kn00tcn New Member

nice closeups :D i've been lazy but soon you all will see closeups of my zalman... being installed..... & the iceberq

11. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

The front has an Enermax fan there. The rest gets drawn in the side vents near the video card, helps vent the heat out (The Tornado is helpful in that capacity) :D

12. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I got that same mouse pad from years ago.. 3M.. not a bad mouse pad but it tore up my knuckles and slid around.

13. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Mine doesn't slide....the table top is pretty gripp-y.

How did your knuckles get torn.... :eek:

14. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Well not torn really, just I have a smaller mouse, and the joints of my pinky finger and the finger next to it slide on the mouspad a little, just because of the way I hold the mouse. I'm left handed, that's probably why. Anyway, the mouse pad is really rough, so it basically just gives my calluses.

I needed to use double stick tape to hold it down, but I used it for at least 2 years.. it has a really nice surface for optical mice.

15. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Ah. Being ambidextrious and having big hands and a big mouse... never noticed it.

My hands are wrecked anyway from other things.... playing drums without gloves gave me calouses on my thumbs so I got little feeling there

16. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

Nice setup. I like how shiny your case is, even with the dust problem ;) I don't think I could've guessed what the shininess was in the second pic if you didn't say so.

17. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Actually all the shiny bit takes is just flatness... the more flat the surface is, the shinier it will look. The polish just adds to the effect and makes it look a little nicer overall

18. reineken

reineken New Member

nice system you got, just wondering how much is your electirc bill every month?;)

but really cool system tho'.

19. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Thanks... the bill well I prefer not to disclose that but it can be a doozy depending on how much A/C and dehumidifier I use :uhoh: ... that and the furnace blower is always on so that adds to it (but its a DC blower so comparatively its ok)

20. Customgamer1

Customgamer1 Fell off the tech wagon

Maybe you should wax it lol.