My Rig! (56k warning)

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by H3X4D3C1M4L, Jun 28, 2006.

1. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

I am. Turtle Wax polishing and scratch removal compound :D

2. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

long live the tornado!

i've got two

3. reineken

reineken New Member

lol

4. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Yeah, I get used to noise anyway. Frequently, its left on full and yet I can sleep on the couch next to the PC.

5. CDsDontBurn

i used to leave both of mine at full, but now i can't really take the noise anymore. especially from my 80mm tornado. the fan grill that sits in front of it draws in the air weird and gives it a really high pitched whistling noise on top of the blowing noise of the high CFM from the fan itself. the 92mm tornado i have isn't as bad, but i couldn't deal w/it anymore like i used to.

now i just run my 2 tornados when i'm gaming, OCing, or benching.

6. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Yeah... I had to cut the 2nd fan hole and move the 1st one up (at the rear)... but I always cut the stock grilles out and put in a wire fan guard... they offer virtually no air resistance and still keep my fingers blood free :) And theres none of that annoying noise whistling crap

7. CDsDontBurn

the only thing good about my fan grill on my side fan (80mm vantec) is that it filters out alot of the dust and dirt. mind you, some still gets in, but from what is filtered out, it sure is alot less than what would get in.

8. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

cut squares of pantyhose and stretch and stick it over the inside of the fan.

won't unduly block airflow, will catch lots of the crap that ends up in your case.

9. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

I just wait till it gets REALLY bad then vacuum it...which is monthly - bimonthly.

10. BWX

BWX get out and ride

That is bad for computer parts.. Vacuums produce a lot of static and can cause damage to sensitive electronics. Best to hold the vacuum nozzle a ways away and then blow out the dust with canned air and suck the dust out of the air with the vacuum.

I never get the vacuum within 2 feet of my PC. That's something I have heard and read many times. I guess it depends on how humid it is on your area though, if it's really humid, it probably won't damage it, but if it is dry, you are asking for trouble.

11. Razgriz

Razgriz Intelligence?

good stuff hex! i just thought about something i'd like to do with some spare plexi-glass. Maybe etch in a drawing or ATI symbol, something along that sort using a dremel or the water cutter at work. That'd be cool.

For cleaning out dust, i use the trusty ol' compressor out in the garage

12. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Hope you have a dryer on the line of the compressor.
    If not, don't turn on your PC for at least a few hours after doing that. Seriously the moisture could do some damage.

13. CDsDontBurn

i do the same.....use my dad's air compressor in the garage........and it doesn't collect any moisture in the line ;)

14. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

no insult intended, but whats with the case? unless you like that color you should
    invest in a little more attractive case. After all you probably see it quite often... That and
    some wire ties you would be set....

AS for the comments regarding using an air compressor to blow dust it works but is not
    exactly the safeest... I'd use only at a distant for tough jobs and using a can-of-air for the
    detailing fans etc... along with cotton swabs soaked in alcohol, when "deatiling". I have
    case cleaner for the out sides. Vacumes, and air compressors there can be ESD invovled
    so I would avdvise against unless you have special equipment.

15. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Well my basement is very very VERY humid so I don't worry about that. Plus the vacuum thing is a spook fact... its not really true. In my personal experience I've never seen that happen. Plus my vacuum is all plastic so there's no metal parts in contact with anything. I worry not :)

Usually I use compressed air for a quick clean but to pull out the compressor... its a huge beast of a thing and I'm afraid it'd knock crap off the mobo like the chipset :lol:

@Neon: In an equally non-denigrating manner... why the hell would I paint my case a colour I don't like? :uhoh: Keep in mind I am colour blind to a degree so you may not see it the same as I do. I like the colour green that it is, if I didn't I wouldn't have painted it that colour. Of course I see it often... its my PC.... to each his own, n'est pas? I don't personally find it objective in any real way. It looks alot better than it did before. And this is the modding section... not the "go buy something that looks awesome, slap some stickers on it then call it a day" section.

I know its no Voodoo or Falcon Northwest but I didn't intend it to be. I've got enough wire ties and whatnots in there to serve my purposes.

To be non-obsequious about this... I'm showing people my computer that I'm quite proud of having put alot of work into it. So if you don't have anything good to say....say nothing. ;)

16. NUCLEARWINTER

NUCLEARWINTER Reap What You Sow.

slick lookin rig H3X! with all that air flow i dare u to find a speck of dust anywhere else in the house.

17. BWX

BWX get out and ride

No it isn't.. a "spook fact"..
    I have heard it many different places and and by many different people, PC maintenance guides, etc. Also it doesn't matter if it's plastic or not. Plastic may even be worse, I dunno. Balloons are plastic and make all kinds of static.

If you have a really humid environment the risk goes down.. but still i wouldn't risk it. Don't dismiss something just because you have never heard of it before.

18. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

I've heard of it before. I dismiss it because I've never known it to happen.

I just don't see how it works because I've taken physics and the only ill effect I could see would be if you have a really uber vacuum and the motor creates a large enough induction to damage something very sensitive, but the air suction itself shouldn't create negative ions or induce a build up of static charges.

I think this is a case of needing Myth Busters to come in and do some testing :lol:

@Nuke: Haha thanks... the dust well I can find it everywhere, along with cat hair and dog hair....

19. CDsDontBurn

send them something to have this tested out :D.

just like eating a poppy seed bagel will show up positive for heroine use on a drug test :rofl:.

20. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I don;t think it is something that can be scientifically tested in a short period of time. The voltage it takes to destroy electronics is less than the voltage it takes to create as visible spark.. It doesn't happen every time either, but that doesn't mean it can't or won't happen. If I have a PC that cost me 1500 dollars for the major parts, I am not going to risk it.. but hey, if you all of the sudden have unexplained failures, now you will know why.

Vacuum that PC out...