Need For Speed: Shift (X360 & PS3) @ GH

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I will refrain from saying anything and damaging this thread.

The game looks good enough and perhaps buy worthy.

2. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

I will drop a report to ATI about the issues you experienced.

3. HardwareHeaven

Had a chat with ATI about this , they are aware of the issues. Most I can say really on a public forum :)

4. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Thank you Zardon, you rock!

5. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

Personally never had a problem with Ati . It is a professional company that releases a driver update every month and even more they release hot fixes for specific games ASAP. It is that nVidia spend too much in marketing than Ati (that's why most titles has nVidia Trademark on them)

6. Stop It

Stop It HHs' Resident Kitty Lover

I fully expect a "hotfix" driver then very soon.

As much as ATi cards seem to suffer from incompatibility (especially with Crossfire) issues, you can't fault the driver team, they always get onto major problems very quickly.

If it wasn't for DH kindly chucking me this card I have now, I would still be using a HD4870, and the HD5 series looks to be awesome too.

Anyway, must play more of this game, the racing is too good to ignore for too long.

7. Alex

Alex Driverheaven Lover

I like the game, its runs quite well for me, but I like the handling aspects. I am always a sucker for good handling car games, but equally so I am not into the 'lets spend 40 minutes in a virtual garage tweaking the suspension".

This is about the right balance for me.

8. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

What's your system specs , resolutions , in-game details ? :cool:

9. SkyBum

SkyBum New Member

Well I have been unable to complete installation of NFSS and have pretty much given up after 3 days of trying, so I figured I'd take one last shot here at DH in hopes that any of you might have some insight to share.

-Installed the Demo and it ran flawlessly (was actually quite impressed with performance as well as the game itself).

-Made haste to my local game vendor.

-Uninstalled Demo and deleted the entire EA folder and its remaining contents / defrag, all the usual stuff.

-Upon attempting to install the retail version the installer completes DirectX installation, then at approximately 15% of the game install, it's about 50/50 whether my system hangs or BSOD's (Ive had around 10 of each).

-On a hunch, I updated the firmware for my plextor drive from 1.10 to 1.11, and since, I have not had any BSOD or hangs during the actual install. Instead, at around 15% of game install I recieve a notice that the installer can not find file: Shift/Movies/ORG_03_Regional_Type.BIK.

-Browsing the DVD to the above file results in a BSOD upon attempting to unzip it.

Not really sure what else to try, the disc looks to be pristine so I hesitate to think it is a damaged disc. Any ideas?

FX60
    A8N32-SLI
    Plextor PX-716SA
    2 GB RAM
    HD 4870 1GB

10. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

Well , tried demo and the game sucks , who ever designed this game intended to make it runs badly on non-nvidia gpus . I tried different combination of setting and still getting low FPS especially when there are many cars on the screen . Now I've tried it at 1280x1024 No AA - All details Medium and got 13-29 FPS. :WTF: . I've played Grid on Maximum setting and it ran smoothly like butter.
    I've done some Googling and found many Ati owners complain about frame drops.

These articles may prove useful :
    Need for Speed Shift ATI performance issues explained – sort of MrGnome – Singularity Is Near

http://www.gamingnewslink.com/2009/...ift-pc-errors-crashes-freezes-other-problems/

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  11. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

Hey Z , any updates and whether they will implement the fixes in CCC 9.10 (assuming it is Ati related ) or not.

12. HardwareHeaven

I unfortunately have no information on this. Sorry - but I would hope to assume ATI will fix it. I will try and remember next week to speak with ATI about it.

13. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

Thanks very much :)