Need help overclocking Skulltrail!!!!!

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Spankatitus, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Spankatitus

Spankatitus New Member

HI, I would like to Overclock my Skulltrail to 4.2 that everyone has done and made it stable. I have 1200w Thermaltake Toughpower PSU, 2-qx9775 processors, 3- 3x120 Rads, 12g Ram. If need more info let me know and I tell u more. I am running at default settings on everthing. So if anyone out there that can help me I would appreciate it. Thanx :)

2. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

As with any other unlocked system, you should be able to overclock quite simply.

Just gradually increase the multiplier (one step at a time) in the bios, using increased Vcore (increased in VERY small increments, e.g. 0.05V) to stabilise. At every step check stability in Prime95 (8 threads), and peak load temperatures in realtemp while doing so, and if they're ok, go for the next step.

3. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

Remember to watch the temperatures. I, personally, prefer to keep mine in the low 70s, but that is an i7 and generally they run hotter.

4. Spankatitus

Spankatitus New Member

But for the bios side of it... I have enhanced power offset and enchanced slope. if I turn the (enhanced power offset) it jumps my Vcores to 1.60 which cant be good. For the (enhanced power slope) I really dont see any changes. I played a little with the multi's. I did (10x400 @1.45 Vcores and Mch @1.45 Vcores). My temps were good at this setting. Temps were 35C/42C load on both. Mch temp was at 30C/35C load. But when I start prime and run for 10 mins I notice I get error on #6. Why is this? Do I need to raise Vcore move or the Mch volt? Cause I dont know what the highest I can go. I dont want to kill it.

5. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

A little more Vcore would probably prevent you from failing prime95, but it's a matter of how much you're comfortable with putting through your chip.

I've not heard of enhanced power offset, but 1.6V is indeed a bad thing.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  6. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Have you any air/water cooling on or around the chipset?

7. Spankatitus

Spankatitus New Member

I am running water cooled. I have 1- 3x120 Rad on Cpu0 and another 3x120 Rad on Cpu1. Also have water cooled the north and south bridge with 1- 3x120 Rad on that also.

8. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Run memtest (the dos version) at the settings which are failing in Windows to confirm its not memory related and let us know if that passes or not.

9. Spankatitus

Spankatitus New Member

Give me a day cause I have college tonight. I will do memtest after school!!! k and let you know

10. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

I would like to add to Blibbax's comment.
    First increase the multiplier of FSB; depending on your way of overclocking. with an unlocked multiplier, increasing that is obviously the simplest way. But if you want the memory to run on a 1:1 ratio, you might wanna play with the FSB also.

first just increase the multiplier and/or FSB, when it fails to boot, increase Vcore to get it stable. I wouldn't increase Vcore right away, as you might be using more voltage than necessary this way.

11. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Solid advice.

And... wow... you're at school and you have skulltrail oO

It's another Synthesis, lol.

12. Spankatitus

Spankatitus New Member

K, this is what came up with so far...

Qx9775 Vcore @ 1.45v
    Multi (10x400)
    MCH Volt @1.45v
    FSB Default Volt @1.3v
    Memory is at (1:1 Ratio) 5-5-5-18 timing Passed on Memtest86 with this setting.

Now if I go to (10x400 with half multi enabled I will get 4.2ghz) My question now is that is if I push it to 4.2ghz will I have to push more Mch volts?

@Veridian I ran Prime95 again and it passed this time. It must of been Prime that problems.

13. synthesis204

synthesis204 New Member

I would never be caught with a dual-CPU computer. That's just plain overkill.

Also, I resent that -- and I'm in HS, not college.

@OP: Another good option is IntelBurnTest, which serves a similar function to Prime95. Make sure you're using the large in-place FFT (maximum heat) option, which really stresses it.

And find out. I usually move about .1ghz at a time, test in P95/IntelBurn, adjust vcore, rinse, repeat.

14. Spankatitus

Spankatitus New Member

@synthesis204

Heat is not a problem with me cause with load It dont hit above 40c if I have the fan speed up to 100%.

15. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

You'll have to try and see. My old Q9450 didnt like going above 3.4 without a .15vcore increase :(

16. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

if upping Vcore does not seem to help, you might need to increase the northbridge a little bit.

17. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

If I had the disposable cash, and I did things that scaled that far (e.g. movie encoding), I so would.

Full time education then.