Need Help With a Gift

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by JavaFox, Dec 17, 2002.

1. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

Well, Christmas is coming up, and I still haven't decided on what to get my little brother. ATi has a phenomenal deal on R8.5Ks and it got me thinking about buying some hardware for the little guy.

He's got an ECS K7S5A with an 800MHz Duron and a Radeon Classic (32MB). I might end up buying both a CPU and a video card for the guy, but which needs to be upgraded more? I was thinking about a Radeon 8500LE and a Athlon XP 1600+ as upgrades, but what do you guys suggest?

---

Postscript: Bear in mind that I am a poor college student, and I've got a mere $140 left on my VISA. ;)

2. MikeDaMan

MikeDaMan New Member

If you want to make gameplay more enjoyable you will want the new Radeon card. However, remember that an 800mhz CPU will not deliver enough power to use the graphics card to its full potential. So in answering which one is needed more I'd say the graphics card which an 800mhz will handle rather well. Now if you were to get him both the AMD Athlon and the 8500LE, that would be the best upgrade if you have the money.:D

3. alewisa

alewisa New Member

Will the mobo take an XP?

I just upgraded my son's PC. Well, "upgraded" is a loose term, I upgraded my Duron 800 to an XP, only forgot the mobo wouldnt take it. Ended up putting a Duron 1200 in there (sheet the bed, it turns in better SiSandra scores than the Athlon1.2/KT7 combo, about 25% faster!). So, the lil'feller got that for Xmas. I have to upgrade the KT7 at some stage to use the XP. But I'm not complaining :D

How about a Duron 1200 (cost about £35 UKP) and a cheap ATI 9k card? well balanced, and probably just about bang on the card limit?

Happy Xmas
    Alan

4. merry

merry gargouille

In the US he'll get a better deal on the 8500, ATI lists it ([email protected]) for 79 USD, compared to the 129 USD 9000 [email protected] And the 9000 is a little behind the 8500.

Duron1k2 + ATI 8k5 + taxes/shipping should fit in 140 USD, I think.

Hey, Merry Christmas

5. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

I think an 8500LE and an XP1700 should fit within $140 . . . I think :hmm:
    But if you only buy one thing I'd say get a CPU, going from Duron800 to XP1700 or 1800 will help in general, and postponing a vid card purchase is generally more fruitful than postponing a CPU purchase. :)

6. Agen75mith

Agen75mith Banned

Poor college student and you've got $140 to spend on a gift for one person!?! You must not be that poor, and since you're not you might as well go all out and get the Radeon 9700 PRO.

7. sencaa

sencaa New Member

radeon card,1800+ CPU and PC2100 DDR

8. Junk

Junk New Member

Do keep in mind that he has $140 left on his VISA! That's not money..but he is being a nicer brother than I :/ Anyhoo..check Pricewatch for some nice video card prices. I'm not sure if you'll get anything shipped before Christmas, but it's the thought that counts..right? According to Pricewatch, you can get a CPU/Mobo combo, and a good video card for under your budget. Good luck..and Happy Holidays..