Need Help With Seagate Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by mos2k, Mar 9, 2011.

1. mos2k

mos2k HH's Hermit

I booted my computer this morning and I received an error message by windows that one of my hard drives was failing.

I ran a HDDscan on my segate 750GB 7200.12 SATA and the "Reallocation Sector Count" is one point below the "threshold". I have also attached a screenshot below. I need your thoughts on this and any suggestions and analysis regarding the life of the drive would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

I'd see what Seatools DOS says about it and backup, backup, backup........ Nobody can state "how long a drive might last" a new drive could fail tomorrow without warning, yours may last quite some time but it's throwing platter codes, that's never good.

Should be a 3 year warranty on that drive, how long have you had it?

3. mos2k

mos2k HH's Hermit

I have the drive for over 1 year approximately 1 yr 5 months. I had a 1 yr warranty in my region. So thats over .. Im running sea tools for DOS and the SMART says it "tripped". The tool has provided me with a warranty validation code. What is a warranty validation code.. Even if I think about sending it to Segate for RMA.. I cant as i dont have the money or the extra storage to back up my data.. its like my unlucky year... First my ipod classic 120GB hard drive died.. now this hard drive.. I'm screwed:(

4. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

when you are finished the seatools run chkdsk [drive] /R it might help to prevent data loss.

5. mos2k

mos2k HH's Hermit

Okay Will do That. the drive failed the Short Test. Now running the Long Test. Sea tools DOS has the ability to repair bad sector(s). which the Chkdsk /r command does, lets just see how everything goes.

6. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Even if you manage to repair it, backup any data you need ASAP. In fact, before you do anything else.
    Do not turn off your PC before you do so. You never know if it is going to work next time you boot the system.

You have checked for updated firmware from Seagate, right?

7. mos2k

mos2k HH's Hermit

There is an update for firmware. I have the version CC35 while the new version is CC46. Will it help if I update the firmware?

8. Trusteft

I don't know, either backup and check with Seagate or backup the data and update the firmware. You don't have much to lose.

There were models that required an update in firmware so that they would break down, but if your model is one of them, I don't remember. Or if it also fixes the problem.

9. mos2k

mos2k HH's Hermit

No It was the 7200.11 Drives that needed the update..I just rechecked the SMART and the Reallocation count went down by 1 point again.. I have no way to back up.. my other drive is 320GB and I have approx 490GB of DATA on the Seagate Drive.. this just keeps getting better and better..

10. Trusteft

Well, either find a way to back up your files (buy another drive, optical discs, etc) or basically kiss your data goodbye.
    Even if it is "fixed" somehow, it can fail completely at any point.

11. mos2k

mos2k HH's Hermit

Im never going to buy seagate again. my WD 320GB drive is going great even after 4 years.. This one just died in 1 year..

12. mos2k

mos2k HH's Hermit

*scratched*

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  13. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Run the Bootable Seatools graphic interface version....

run a long test.. short test and a spin up/accoustic test

if you get any ERROR or "REPAIR" status.... look at replaceing the drive straight away..

While personally i haven't had that much difficulty with seagate at all... very good run.. i am currently building all my machines with the 64mb cache SATA III WD Caviar 640gb hardrives.. simply due to their speed.... provided seagate comes out with something as fast or faster... i may start considering them again.

otherwise.. sometimes luck is just it... and contact seagate directly via their website to see Warranty status.... it should be 3 years...

my warranty is 1 year through the retailer/reseller i purchased through... but seagates own warranty is 3+..

14. Trusteft

I use Seagate drives among other brands for 18 years now I think. The only two brands I never had a problem with are Seagate and Hitachi. Everything else failed at one point. You were just unlucky. Any brand can fail at any time. It's the nature of hard drives.

15. mos2k

mos2k HH's Hermit

Yeah I registered my drive with seagate today for the heck of it and it went through now I have 4 years of warranty till 2014.. but I would have to pay shipping for sending and then again pay shipping from seagate to me.. eckh.. :wtf::hmm:

16. Judas

well i guess it's either that or..

you must run seatools to get an error code.... otherwise seagate tends to be pricks if you try and rma... without one

17. mos2k

mos2k HH's Hermit

The Short Test failed where as the long test passed and it also said the SMART tripped.. which I'm sure is due to the low reallocated sector count

18. Judas

yes... It SHOULD give you a error code number/tag or some sort when it brings up the failed message... write it down and then submit it with the RMA if you decide to do it... quite often with a valid error code.. i've found i've received the hardrive back faster and without question.. without one they basically can take ages or even send it back unrepaired...

19. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Here's food for thought: your warranty only covers the drive, not the data.

At this point, the way I see it, you're buying a new drive. Either you risk using the drive and lose everything when it fails, or buy a new drive and transfer the data while you still can. At that point you can try to RMA the old drive, and if Seagate honours the warranty, great. When you get it back you'll have another drive to store data on, or you could even sell it to someone to get a least a bit of money back.

20. mos2k

mos2k HH's Hermit

Ive managed to backup all of the critical data on my WD drive.. turns out.. It wasnt much data lol.. Majority was programs installed... so im just waiting for April when I'll have some cash to RMA it.. Im still thinking on it though cuz buying a new 1TB drive is cheaper then RMA'ing.