Need tips for overclocking

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Ishank, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Ishank

Ishank New Member

Guys I have a stock gtx 460 and I play games with it all day :D I just want to overclock my gtx 460 its zotac gtx 460 1 GB. So please tell me that how I can check about stability of my card after overclocking it ?

2. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I just looked around to see what other users were getting and then applied the clocks myself. If I noticed any instability I dialled back the clock a little until they became stable again. I use GPU-z to monitor clocks, GPU usage and temps - tick the box that allows the program to keep updating whilst in the background. This way you can see how the card is performing whilst playing a game.

Errors you might notice are the display driver crashing and restarting in Windows7/Vista. Graphical artefacts - blocky triangles or anything that doesn't look as it should. High temperatures. The thermal limit for the GTX460 is 104c afaik. I try to keep temps lower than 90c.

I clock mine to 840 gpu / 1940 memory and it runs stable and relatively cool - 70 - 80c in Crysis 2.

3. Ishank

Ishank New Member

Thanks dude. So will my card will damage if it goes above 104c ?

4. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

It should just shut off, but it's not implausible that it might be severely damaged.

Remember that any overclocking significantly reduces the life expectancy of your components.

Personally, I tend not to bother with GPU overclocking, as it requires bios flashing a single bios card (ruined if it goes wrong), a dual bios videocard (expensive), or a background overclocking utility in Windows (annoying, inelegant, uses up CPU time).

5. Ishank

Ishank New Member

Will my graphics card warranty will spoil after overclocking as it is a brand new card with 3 years warranty?

6. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Check the warranty wording. However, if you don't flash the bios, it's very hard for them to tell whether or not a card died due to overclocking.

You'd like your card to last longer than 3 years though, wouldn't you?

7. Ishank

Ishank New Member

Yes. I like my card to use for 3 years. Once the warranty is finished I will upgrade my card.

8. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

It'll be easier to sell if it's still working :p

Also, if you want to keep your warranty intact, this limits you to Windows based "on startup" overclocking utilities, which, as I said above, are less than ideal.

9. skylineaddict

skylineaddict Sleep Deprived Ant

Just a note, I doubt the GTX 460 thermal limit is 104c. It's not a Fermi card so I don't think it can take temperatures that high.

Mine clocked at 850MHz on the core and 1 volt never goes above 65c, even in Furmark.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  10. Ishank

Ishank New Member

Hey gtx 460 is a fermi card. All dx 11 cards of nvidia are built with fermi architecture.

11. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Not sure what it is then.

Most older NV cards (up to GTX285) hit 100 or so before throttling, then pass away at 115. The actual chip temperature when the heat-spreader and thermal sensor are this hot can be in the hundreds of degrees, though :p

12. Ishank

Ishank New Member

My old 8600 gt hits 110c and then at the day when I was playing Crysis, , my computer goes stuck, sound goes to nirvana and all condensers of my graphics card gets burst.:D Then I throw that card outside of my house and start using gtx 460.:cool:

13. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Smooth moves...

14. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I use the Nvidia Performance app for overclocking and I find it works just fine - at least I haven't noticed any issues. Although I'm not a massive gamer and am only playing Crysis 2 at the moment.

I set an overclocked profile to start automatically when the game starts and go back to default settings on exit. Works perfectly and has no noticeable CPU overhead as far as I can tell.

Ishank I would expect your overclocking mileage to be less than mine due to your environment - my PC is in a room that is currently hovering around 14ᵒc :D

15. skylineaddict

skylineaddict Sleep Deprived Ant

Never mind, you're right. Turns out the "non-Fermi" GTX 460s were just a rumor. Still, I'd feel very uncomfortable if my card reached 80c since it never goes over 70 even in Furmark.

16. synthesis204

synthesis204 New Member

80C is paltry for Fermi. Most can hit up to mid 90s with little to no worry. If you get above, say, 97 or 98, I'd start to worry.

For the record, my old 8800 GTX would run at a constant 95. Always. Never had an issue. And I know most GTX 580s (and its variants) can run 90ish perfectly fine.