New Build: 2 Windows Issues

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Dyre Straits, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

1. Taskbar: auto hide refuses to "stick". After coming out of sleep, the taskbar is present and I have to go into settings and turn auto hide back on;

2. Windows Theme: This also refuses to "stick". Even in the process of using the computer, the selected theme will exit to a single image...stretched across all 5 displays. Which isn't pretty at all...because the image is stretched beyond the screen borders to one HUGE image.

#1 has been going on for a while now. I was hoping a totally new Windows install would fix it.

#2 has started after the new Windows install.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

stop using sleep is number 1 suggesting....

Sounds like a glitched installation of windows however, perform a proper full clean install again and try.

3. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Did you have all 5 monitors hooked up while installing the OS? I usually make sure to disconnect all the monitors before a clean install, then add the monitors 1 at a time, and finally set up the extended display setting.

Not sure if that's going to help here though, but it's worth a shot IF you decided to reinstall the OS as per what Judas suggested.

4. Dyre Straits

This is a new build completely.

I installed Windows with the downloaded file option using a license from Win 7 to only one monitor before proceeding to do any updates and adding the other displays.

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i'd say it's worthwhile doing a reinstall cleanly using 1903 directly...

as i said, bad installs occur with weirdness that can't really be explained...

Recently did an install in which everything worked beautifully, but no matter what i did, opening settings and then accessing apps would cause the settings app to crash without error or even an event timer indicator of sorts.... just boom, gone.. retry.. no matter what i did, the only thing that fixed it was a fresh new install and it was problem free.

6. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Did sleep ever work 100%?

7. Dyre Straits

I started noticing problems a bit over a year ago. Dealt with it until some other nagging problems drove me to do a new install late last year. Then, once again just a few weeks ago I did a Windows Reset.

This entire situation is likely due to the number of displays I'm using....but it shouldn't...IMHO. For example, when I bring the system out of sleep, I often get a "...task bar is hidden...." message. That likely is referencing the HDTV-which doesn't come out of sleep on its own. I have to manually turn it on with the remote.

So, rather then continue to deal with it knowing I wanted to upgrade the entire system, I was hopeful those nagging things would be gone with this upgrade.