New Build: 2 Windows Issues

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Dyre Straits, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

1. Taskbar: auto hide refuses to "stick". After coming out of sleep, the taskbar is present and I have to go into settings and turn auto hide back on;

2. Windows Theme: This also refuses to "stick". Even in the process of using the computer, the selected theme will exit to a single image...stretched across all 5 displays. Which isn't pretty at all...because the image is stretched beyond the screen borders to one HUGE image.

#1 has been going on for a while now. I was hoping a totally new Windows install would fix it.

#2 has started after the new Windows install.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

stop using sleep is number 1 suggesting....

Sounds like a glitched installation of windows however, perform a proper full clean install again and try.

3. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Did you have all 5 monitors hooked up while installing the OS? I usually make sure to disconnect all the monitors before a clean install, then add the monitors 1 at a time, and finally set up the extended display setting.

Not sure if that's going to help here though, but it's worth a shot IF you decided to reinstall the OS as per what Judas suggested.

4. Dyre Straits

This is a new build completely.

I installed Windows with the downloaded file option using a license from Win 7 to only one monitor before proceeding to do any updates and adding the other displays.

5. Judas

i'd say it's worthwhile doing a reinstall cleanly using 1903 directly...

as i said, bad installs occur with weirdness that can't really be explained...

Recently did an install in which everything worked beautifully, but no matter what i did, opening settings and then accessing apps would cause the settings app to crash without error or even an event timer indicator of sorts.... just boom, gone.. retry.. no matter what i did, the only thing that fixed it was a fresh new install and it was problem free.

6. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Did sleep ever work 100%?

7. Dyre Straits

I started noticing problems a bit over a year ago. Dealt with it until some other nagging problems drove me to do a new install late last year. Then, once again just a few weeks ago I did a Windows Reset.

This entire situation is likely due to the number of displays I'm using....but it shouldn't...IMHO. For example, when I bring the system out of sleep, I often get a "...task bar is hidden...." message. That likely is referencing the HDTV-which doesn't come out of sleep on its own. I have to manually turn it on with the remote.

So, rather then continue to deal with it knowing I wanted to upgrade the entire system, I was hopeful those nagging things would be gone with this upgrade.

8. Dyre Straits

UPDATE: It appears that the issue with my Autohide Taskbar is due to Error Notifications when one of my printers is low on ink...or some other notification is taking priority over the taskbar. At this moment, the ink is low in one of the printers (I have 3) and, if memory serves me, as long as that error condition is absent, the taskbar behaves like it should. I'm not replacing a cartridge at this time...there's still enough ink to print with it. But, I'll update this if I've confirmed the reason for the behavior.

9. Judas

why not remove that unnecessary status monitor from the systray.