New build, workstation, for a friend, suggestions welcome

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Calliers, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

OK so a friend of mine is building a new rig for stock trading and some light video editing as well as heavy multi tasking, no gaming, he'd like one big monitor or 3 monitors next to one another, he's not sure. He says at least 27" if he goes with three screens together.

I thought he might need a Threadripper paired with either a RTX 2060 or RTX 2070 or even a Radeon VII since it has all that memory, what do you guys think? I really don't know how to advise him. Any suggestions are appreciated. :)

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Yeah right, "a friend". Oldest lie in the world.

But seriously, what's the OS and programs he wants to use?

Tipstaff and IvanV like this.
  3. Calliers

He'd like to use Windows 10 I believe, he has a copy. I think he might still have a couple installs left.

Also I'm not sure about the programs, will ask tomorrow as he's not replying me on Skype (think he has gone to bed).

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

"light video editing"... If there is one thing that AMD's got seriously sorted and a clear advantage over nvidia, it's in the video and professional space with consumer graphics cards, tearing nvidia a new one even compared to their titan.

While i wouldn't personally recommend a VII unless they were truly doing some serious video editing or manipulation of some sort, pumping out up to 5 displays off a Radeon RX 500 card would be plenty though i'd say might want to make sure they have 8gb card as it's rather surprising how much VRAM plays a part, even some of the people with 1080ti's saw a dramatic drop in performance and even dramatic increase in encoding failures moving to the rtx 2080 mostly caused by the lack of vram. I know there have been numerous professionals and even tech reviewers that have posted videos or updates regarding their Radeon VII in which it completely resolves their crashes or errors that they were having with some of the most expensive nvidia graphics cards they could get without moving to the quadro, to their amazement, the cost savings and it's professional quality design and capabilities were nothing short of astounding and financially unheard of for it's value.

Threadripper IMO is likely overkill, unless again depending on their intended workload. However i'm far more inclined to still suggest the AM4 2700x over a threadripper currently until the new Zen 2 Threadrippers arrive later this fall, as this fall the new threadrippers will have significant changes. However one could still build a x399 based threadripper as the zen 2 chips are supposed to slip right into the existing boards, i just know that there will be caveats such as likely lack of pci-ex v4.0 support among likely some power limitations, but hey 8-64 cores/16-128 threads means you could do whatever you want.

There are however now some epyc desktop/workstations starting to appear, far and few between mind you, but it does appear that we may soon see epyc based certified motherboards in which are single and potentially dual socket compliant, very costly... total overkill imo.

5. Calliers

He's probably gonna go with a Ryzen 2700X, Radeon VII and three 27" 4K screens.

Here is a list of components I've slapped together for him so far:

- Cooler Master MasterCase H500 ATX Mid-Tower, tempered glass panel, two 200mm RGB fans with Controller and Case Handle for Transport
    - ASRock X470 Taichi AM4 AMD Promontory X470 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
    - CORSAIR HX Series HX850 CP-9020138-NA 850W ATX12V v2.4 / EPS12V 2.92 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Power Supply
    - G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-32GTZRX
    - AMD RYZEN 7 2700X 8-Core 3.7 GHz (4.3 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 105W YD270XBGAFBOX Desktop Processor
    - SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2280 1TB PCIe Gen 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.3 V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7S1T0B/AM
    - SAPPHIRE Radeon VII DirectX 12 21291-01-40G 16GB 4096-Bit HBM2 PCI Express 3.0 x16 ATX Video Card

Grand total (incl. taxes): $2,775.89

6. Trusteft

no

7. Calliers

What's wrong with it?

8. Trusteft

9. Calliers

@Trusteft Will find out the exact programs, but like I said he'll be trading stocks so lots of graphs, not sure which programs, and some video editing.

I know he said he wants to run a bunch of chat programs like Discord and Skype as well but not sure about the others. Although didn't mention that coz basically any PC can run those.

Basically the reason I put those parts together is because his budget is 3500 dollars. He wants a high-end multi tasking workstation.

10. Judas

most likely the only viable OS will be windows 10 anyways... so that's not really all that relevant.

The system i built for my customer whom is a stock broker.. remember that 8 screen rig? yeah that was in 2008... last summer he was looking at building new and i gave him both a price on a new machine and then suggested that he could just upgrade his 2008 LGA1366 intel i7 920 rig. So moving him from windows vista x64 to windows 10, swapping out the original 320gb SATA HDDs in raid 1 for Samsung 860 pro drive, and then replacing his 3x2gb 1333mhz DDR3 memory with 3x4GB 1600mhz DDR3, and he even kept the HD3670 cards in it since the 13.4 drivers work fine in the system. Freshly loaded with windows 10 x64 home edition and up to date, the only thing he had to do was disable hardware acceleration in opera/chrome and firefox in order to playback some of the more obscure video content that would otherwise playback as green. Since then, and it's getting damn close to a year since, he's been rocking his multi monitor array perfectly with his mostly all 10 year old equipment just fine.

Granted he's not doing any serious video editing or gaming.

Calliers likes this.
  11. Calliers

@Judas What do you think of the specs above?

Good list? Should we run with it?

12. Calliers

@Trusteft So he says Think or Swim with many charts opened, Sierra Chart with 2 or 3 charts opened, TWS Trader Work Station, Scanners called Trade Ideas, iMovie in a virtual machine, Camtasia, Virtual Cut Pro, Final Cut Pro, OBS, Skype, Discord.

So yeah he'll be streaming as well, everything he's doing so he can teach other people to trade.

13. Trusteft

How the fudge is he going to run iMovie, Final Cut Pro in a virtual machine? OR even better question, WHY? That makes no sense.
    ANYWAY, if he wants to run FCP and use it to edit with that, he will be better off with an Intel CPU supporting Intel Quick Sync video. So no Xeon or AMD. But it will have to be Intel. Else he is going to suffer (performance) for no good reason.
    Also, why would he use iMovie when he has FCP?
    Why get a PC?
    Good luck with you dealing with him. Too crazy for me, I am out.

14. Calliers

Oh I asked the same, and he says he will continue to run the Mac apps on his Mac. Good spot lol. I was wondering the same.

One thing I've noticed about you Trusteft, you're very very emotional. Lol. You either swing to one extreme or the other.

15. Calliers

He wants his setup to look something like this:

Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 4.37.08 PM.png

16. Judas

i'd say the specs are... well.. possibly overkill, and yet could maybe be insufficient.... the 2700x can livestream very well, but many people also live stream using their gpu such in which case the relive functionality of the amd card may be handy... but if quality is the factor some people are likely to prefer the cpu based encoding which the again the 2700x will do well at. You can be guaranteed the VII will rock the multi display arrangement without issues, specially if you want more than 4 or 5 displays, MST hubs will work or daisy chaining if you can find displays capable of it.

I still think it would wise to hold off the 2 months for the ryzen 3000 launch around the corner, because a 12 core would be far more than sufficient likely.

17. Calliers

Sounds good, will relay this to him. Also he does want to add more than 3 screens later on that's why I put a Radeon VII in there, he wants to have around 9 or 8 screens in the end. Plus he wants to future proof his machine as much as he can.

18. Trusteft

Only online or in videos. In person I am stone cold. In my father's funeral a woman (won't go into details) I just met asked me to give her my father's car. 5 minutes before the liturgy. While my father was lying there open casket and all, less than a meter away. I turned to her and smiled without saying anything. You don't want to know what I was thinking of doing at that moment.

As for your buddy and his future computer. Sounds like he knows nothing and just wants to waste money. His money to waste, but if you are really his friend, it's your job to stop him.

19. Calliers

Lol, he just read your comment and texted me, (yeah he is checking this thread out from time to time), he says I should tell you he has lots of money to waste. :D

20. Trusteft

Then go for it. Also, care to buy me a maxed out 2019 i9 iMac?
    Actually, nah, the shipping costs are going to be a fortune :p

If he is going to need to do serious streaming, just get more than one computer so that one is dedicated to handle that. Much better investment and performance gain than having a single PC doing it all and game at the same time.

Calliers likes this.