New Graphics Card Needed?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Resonate, May 22, 2012.

1. Resonate

Resonate New Member

Hello! I'm by no means any computer expert, and thought this might be the place to ask someone with some knowledge.

Basically, I use my PC for general everyday use and a fair amount of gaming. I've played WoW, LoL, Guild Wars etc all fine with no problems, however I just bought Diablo 3, but I can't play it because when I try to open it I get the error "Diablo 3 cannot run because this graphics card its missing required features" or something along those lines.

I know my graphics card is crap, but I don't know how to go about replacing it, as I bought my PC as an all in one from PC World, OS pre-installed.

I just formatted my computer to get rid of some of the crap, and made sure all my drivers were installed / up to date, as far as I can tell, so the only option I see is buying a new graphics card, (as little as possible but nothing going WAY over $100). Well these are my specs, what would you recommend that would be compatible, and is it even possible with my computer to change out the graphics cards? Thank you very much for any help!

MY COMPUTER:

Windows 7 Home Premium

Packard Bell

ixtreme M3720

Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad CPU Q8300 at 2.50GHz 2.50 GHz

4.00 GB RAM

64-bit Operating System

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Nvidia: GeForce 7100 / nForce 630i​

2. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

A 7100 graphics card? That's you're problem right there. You need a minimum of a 7800GT or X1950 Pro and your card is nowhere near that level.
    The requirements suggest a GTX 260 or AMD 4870. You wouldn't do badly to go with something like a 550Ti, depending on your budget.

3. Resonate

Resonate New Member

Thanks! That's about perfect for my price range, and it seems pretty decent. Problem is, I don't know if I can change my graphics card in my computer or how I would go about doing it? Any information would be greatly appreciated or referred to somewhere I could learn more?

Main Circuit Board:

- Board: Packard Bell MCP73PVT-PM
    - Bus Clock: 333 megahertz
    - BIOS: AMI P01-A3 07/21/2009

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

According to the documentation i could find which is VERY limited..... stupid packard bell website is TOTAL GARBAGE....

anywho..

if you open up the machine does the motherboard look like this?

[​IMG]

If yes... you may have to do some shuffling around of the SATA port connectors (move them down) due to the idiotic design of the board having them placed directly in line with where ever a gpu will go.

Recently i fired up diablo on the ATI HD 5770 1gb @ 3240x1920 (which is a high resolution) and it played fantastically..

So an alternative that should do well is something in that range.

However i can't seem to find a damn thing on your PC's power specs... so you may have to go for something like a HD7750 (which is pretty good and doesn't require all that much power and should do fantastic and is VERY cheap card to get)

5. steves6403

steves6403 Active Member

What about a 7770 this gets close to a 7850 .

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

the 7770 may REQUIRE additional power... while the 7750 remains below the maximum power output of the motherboard.. the 7770 may exceed it requiring power connector from the PSU..

if op can swing a 7770... most definitely go for it....

7. A Desire to Game

A Desire to Game HardwareHeaven Hoosier

Once again, Judas is correct.

7750 would be the safest (and just barely cheaper) bet. The 7770 is faster but unless you are plan on moving to another computer within the next two years I would say stick with the lower power, no separate power connector 7750. You don't want to blow stuff up if it can't handle it for some unforeseen reason.

Single Slot with tall cooler
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121633

Single Slot
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150612

Do you have any add-in cards in your additional PCI x1 slot (directly below orange PCI x16)? Might need to go single slot 7750 if you do.

8. A Desire to Game

A Desire to Game HardwareHeaven Hoosier