New hard drive in Playstation 3 but it will not format?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by HardwareHeaven, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

With my PS3 I found that it was rather easy to perform an upgrade (ie: swap out) the harddrive. On Scan UK they have a phrase to the likes of "PS3 compatible" next to a lot of the harddrives. My particular choice was a 500GB Western Digital Blue. If you don't get one that is proven to be compatible then you're taking a bit of a risk. I'm not saying this is the case to anyone here, it's just a warning.
    By all means, I didn't need a 500GB harddrive, it was just so cheap pound for pound. It was a heck of an upgrade from 60GB anyway.

The only real guideline for formatting a drive is to make it FAT32

2. dipstick

dipstick New Member

I think this only applies to newer PS3 units. With the original 60 and 20 GB models you can run the newest firmware and just swap the hd without the need to do anything at all. Any hd should work, even 7200rpm models.

3. Ninja650

Ninja650 New Member

...so just to update...i have admitted defeat and purchased a new ps3. just to let everyone know mine was the older 60gb and my friends was the older 80gb, and i now have the slimline 250gb. after consulting alot of people and further research we all came to the conclusion that the microprocessors needed to be re-flashed. virtually had to step right back to how playstation originally loads the firmware before putting the chips on the board....to buy the tools and find the software would have been expensive and time consuming.
    good luck to the rest of you guys but im gonna go play some F.E.A.R 3 now!

4. BrianW

BrianW New Member

I have bought a Seagate 500GB 7200rpm. I followed all the steps to replace the drive. I placed the update on a usb memory stick, and switched the PS3 on and received the following message - "Cannot start. The correct hard disk was not found."

I'm at a loss, as I have followed the instructions, yet nothing seems to work.

Any help would be appreciated

5. JBone-34DD-

JBone-34DD- New Member

i am new to this site. any way i am havin the same probs as all of these peeps have as well. thought it would be easy but not as easy would be the right stuff lol. first off i have an older ps3 fat with latest firmware on original hdd. i purchased a new internal 1tb samsung spinpoint # hn-m101mbb raw hdd. plugged it in raw this came up cannot start system cannot read hard disc. so through talkin with techs found out had to format in fat 32. i did have best buy geek squad do it for free, they said they did. and also said should be able to hook right up and format. but did the same thing.:confused: i would like to use a 1tb internal but anything 500gb and hight would be great! i also did purchase a wd blue scorpio as a backup in case this samsung cant work, which i heard the wd will work, then i would just send the samsung back. any help on this matter would greatly be appreciated as this ps3 thing is really complicated lol :hmm:

6. dsmooth16

dsmooth16 New Member

Thanks alot man just made this account to let you know i appreciate you helping out ppl like me who had a hard time hooking up the hdd.:D

7. dsmooth16

dsmooth16 New Member

You have to make a folder in your usb memory stick,the name has to be PS3 in CAPS then UPDATES in caps save the ps3 newest update under UPDATES and put it back in your ps3 it should work.

8. unit44justin

unit44justin New Member

If you did not get yours to work you may have to return your 7200RPM HDD and get a 5400RPM one. I had to return the 7200rpm 500Gb seagate I bought and traded it for a HD 5400rpm 500Gb I guess there is compatibility issues with some 7200rpm HDD's or you could keep trying other 7200's until one works. I have also read that 7200's do not make a significant difference because the PS3 was built for 5400's.

9. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

It should be noted that the PS3 doesn't support SATA2. More to the point, the PS3 uses a SATA1 controller (1.5Gb/s) to keep costs down. You can still use a newer hard drive on the PS3 as they are "usually" backwards compatible, however some you need to jumper in order to work in the SATA1 1.5Gb/s mode. Seagate drives, for instance, have this jumper, but WD drives don't. As for speed, 7200RPM drives, for the most part, do speed things up, but it varies by game. The more data the game runs off the hard drive the faster it loads (and installs), such as Grand Turismo 5, but that's pretty much it. It does nothing for game performance, and won't help a bit with games that load primarily off of the optical disc.

One issue that might crop up is when you try to install hard drives that support Advanced Formatting, such as the WD Scorpio Blue WD5000BPVT. The PS3 doesn't support these drives, at least not directly. There are ways to get some to work, such as using the WD format tool on their drives prior to installing it, so it is doable, but I'm not sure about Seagate. This is why I usually recommend people try to find the older drives, such as the WD Blue BEVT series, or Black BEKT series, or even Hitachi. There are some Seagates that work, but I can't, off hand, remember the models. Fact is it's getting harder to get larger hard drives that support the PS3 these days.

unit44justin, maybe you can post the make and model number of the drive you have, just for others reference?

Of note: I currently use a WD Scorpio Black 320GB WD3200BEKT in my PS3, and had no issue installing it, as well as no issues running games off of it (no stuttering/audio sync issues). I've also installed numerous drives based on the Scorpio Blue BEVT series too, and have no complaints from clients.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  10. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Some people are installing SSD or Hybrid drives in their PS3, which helps with texture popup in RAGE and lag in Skyrim. Off course that's an expensive solution for something which should be fixed by the devs, but I though it was worth noticing.

11. kippers cracks

kippers cracks New Member

Hi All,

i have purchased a seagate ST9250320AS 250gb hard drive and cannot get my ps3 to recognise it .
    have followed many links formatting to fat32 etc etc but always get the same error cannot start wrong hard disk

i have checked and noticed its sata ii - anyone help please ?
    thanks in advance

12. Tipstaff

One thing you could try is would be to limit the speed of the driver to 1.5GB/s (as I mentioned in an earlier post). To do this: tilt the drive so that you have the SATA power connector on your right, the data connector in the middle, and the jumpers are on the left. This is important as, from that perspective, you want to jumper the first and second pins from the far left edge. That will put the drive into SATA1, or 1.5GB/s mode.

Also, you shouldn't need to format that particular drive before hand. So, before trying the above first hook the hard drive back up to a PC, delete all partitions, install the drive into the PS3, and then format it in the PS3.

BTW, which PS3 is this? The older "fat" version or the newer "slim"?

13. Bookerdalooker

Bookerdalooker New Member

I was so pleased to find this post and was dying to try it out as it was a problem i had encountered and virtually given up on solving. I have a 640gb sata drive that I have now tried to format as FAT32 on my laptop but when I plug it in via USB it does not appear anywhere so I cant even begin to work out how to format it it ready to go into PS3. I have tried the link in original post for clues but it did not work, please help, ta!

14. MamaChaos

MamaChaos New Member

Re: New internal hard drive in Playstation 3 but it will not format?

so this thread was amazingly helpful and i now have a 120 g instead of a 40 and its great but now i have come to find a new issue. It is not loading or even recognizing that there is a disc in the system. you can see and hear it try to load but the disc picture icon is not popping up at all.... extreamley frustrating :mad: please help

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  15. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

By disc you mean a blu-ray game? Try inserting a DVD, does it see it? It could be a problem with the laser.

16. Tipstaff

^^

Another thing, I would assume you still have the old drive, so at the very least I would put that one back in too. This would allow you to single out whether it's a problem with the optical drive, or the hard drive.

What hard drive did you put into the PS3 exactly, btw? The exact make/model number? The reason I ask is to make sure there are no extra things, such as jumpers that you need to do/use in order to get it to "properly" work. By this I mean that the PS3's controller runs at 1.5GB, or SATA1 speeds, and there are occasions with some manufacturers drives where you need to jumper the drive to the slower speed in order for the PS3 to properly see it.

Something else to try: update the firmware again. There is a boot up trick that you can use in order to run the recovery mode which has a few options, the last one being "System Update". You can put the firmware on the FAT32 formatted USB pen drive just as before. In fact I would format that pen drive, and redownload the firmware, and copy it to the USB drive again just so that you have a fresh copy of it to work with. To get into the recovery mode here's what you do:

How to get into the Recovery menu:
    1. Make sure the PS3 is turned off, and you have the new hard drive installed into the PS3. Get your USB cable charging cable ready too for a later step. Also, make sure you only have 1 output cable connected, so have either the HDMI or composite/component/VGA cable connected to the TV as well as the USB flash drive with the firmware on it attached to the PS3 before you proceed.
    2. Press & hold the power button down on the system. It will turn on, do a couple things, then turn off. This part can take a bit as it's resetting, but the key thing is to keep holding the power button in until it powers off. Ignore any beeps it makes during this process too.
    3. Once the system has shutdown release the power button, count to 2, then quickly press & hold it in again until you hear 2 consecutive beeps. When you hear the 2 beeps (literally, beep beep) release the power button.
    4. Within a few seconds you will be prompted to plug in your controller via the USB cable, and then hit the PS button. This is important as the controller will not work wirelessly. You MUST keep it connected via wire.
    5. After hitting the PS button eventually the recovery menu will pop up. At this point you have 6 options:

Recovery mode options:
    1. Restart System (obvious)
    2. Restore Default Settings (resets to system defaults)
    3. Restore File System (checks for corrupt or missing OS files)
    4. Rebuild Database (rebuilds the PS3 OS regardless)
    5. Restore PS3 System (essentially a factory reset that will wipe everything, and do a clean reinstall of the OS)
    6. System Update

At this point pick what you want to try, however the first thing I would do is the firmware update as the others rely on it. If the optical drive still doesn't work you could then try numbers 3-5. Just remember that number 5 WILL wipe your data, and maybe options 3&4 too (can't remember for sure), so I hope you still have the original backup and/or original drive. If the optical drive does kick in just put back your old drive, do the back, swap out drives, import your backup, and you should be good to go.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  17. MamaChaos

MamaChaos New Member

no actually im about to try blu ray. it is having issues with dvd and games......... i tried re-installing my old harddrive to see if the new 250g was the issue but it is still having that issue it will not read. The loading icon in the corner pops up but not the disc option with disc auto start on or off

18. MamaChaos

MamaChaos New Member

so the drive is a hitatchi 250g stat 3.0 also it has loaded one or 2 movies with the new drive in and it loaded kill zone but not black ops or skyrim, now it doesn't want to load any games or dvds...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  19. Tipstaff

If it's not working with the old drive any more than that pretty much rules out the new drive physically being the culprit. Plus the fact that the old drive doesn't work, which has a known working OS on it, that rules that out too. All that leaves, sorry to say, is that you're possibly dealing with dead optical drive. [​IMG]

You mentioned the original drive is 40GB, so I take it that you have one of the older "fat" systems? You could try to repair it yourself. If you try doing the repair yourself be sure to research and find a source for the exact drive you need. From what I remember you can't just replace the drive as they're synced to the motherboard or some such, but you should be able to replace the lens assembly itself. However you do need to be careful. The 1rst gen "fat" systems used 1 lens while the later gen units used 2 lens, so you need to buy the replacement for YOUR system. My guess it's a 1rst gen unit as that would kinda explain why all optical discs, Blu Ray and DVD/CD are not working as it has 1 lens, and it's probably not working. If it was a later gen then 1 or the other type of disc "should" work.. that is unless it's a different problem with the optical drive.

In any case, you might have to buy a used "as is" system off eBay that has something else wrong with it, and gut the parts you need, or find a site that sells specific parts. You'll need the CECH model number on the bottom of the PS3, so have that handy for when you search. If it's CECHG01 that's a 1rst gen, and has 1 lens, and if it's CECHH01 it has 2 lens'. It's a good idea to take the unit apart to check though.. just in case.

Oh, and for reference, here's what you are replacing with each:

PS3 model # CECHG01 = KES-400A (laser only)
    PS3 model # CECHH01 = KES-410A (laser only)

(KES-450A is for the new slim PS3 btw)

What about the model number? Should say Travelstar along with maybe 5K250 (SATA1) or 5K500 (SATA2) 7K500which denotes the speed (5400 or 7200 RPM), and then a long HST number. That's key.

In any case, the Hitachi Travelstar series don't have any jumpers, so you're good to go. If you decide to just replace the PS3 you should be able to just drop that drive into the unit without worrying about compatibility.

20. MamaChaos

MamaChaos New Member

Thank you so much you totally rock my socks :) You have been so much help. i found the PS3 model # CECHH01 = KES-410A (laser only) on eBay for 20 bucks! I think that could be the problem. The drive i installed has been working great. I actually took it out and tried the old 40 drive and it still had the same issues so i'm going to replace the lens. The only other issue that i have notice with my PS3 is that it is very loud. It doesn't feel warm but the fan kicks on way quick.( which i have been told is very common for the old bulky systems.)