New P4's W/ 533mhz FSB & DDR Motherboards

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Necrosis, May 9, 2002.

1. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

I was wondering if the DDR chipsets would support this new speed of FSB for the new P4's? Sounded like in reviews that I have read "some" of the 850 motherboards will. I am thinking about building a P4 rig to see what all the hype is about. I know the new P4's don't reach their full potential unless used with the new 1G Rambus. There is a new chipset out for this processor, but do you have to get a new board to support it? I think it would pretty lame if you did.

2. Ebola

Ebola New Member

Yeah

You need a new Mobo for the new P4s.

3. Nologic

Nologic New Member

I don't think there is any DDR out thats fast enough for the new P4's and even if there was, there are no chipsets out for them.

So unfortunately Rambus, is the only thing capable of handling them, with out losing any performance.

Still like to see Rambus go up in flame's tho, nasty low down SOB of a company that it is.

4. Hysteria

Hysteria New Member

The sis645dx and its "unofficial" support of ddr400 gives the p4 a lot of room to play with. Granted when the clock speeds reach 3+ghz it won't suffice but by the time those chips are commercially available dual channel ddr will also be available and should allow for comparible performance to pc1066. So really if you are wary of going for rambus then the sis645dx and really good memory should do you well. The problem then falls to getting the good memory, but then again that goes the same with pc1066 ;).

5. Necrosis

Re: Yeah

Figures..I'd be so pissed if was someone that just bought a P4 and motherboard.

6. Necrosis

7. Silentst2000

Silentst2000 Can I be cool?

If your motherboard can overclock to 133 fsb (which most do) then you don't need a new motherboard. :mad:

8. zcog

zcog New Member

If you read the Lost Circuits review of the new P4 chips at http://www.lostcircuits.com/cpu/p4_133/4.shtml, you'll see the following quote about an "older" SIS 645 chipset board by Asus:

"We couldn't get our hands on the P4S533 but we figured that the older P4S333 would do since it is essentially the same chipset. As it turned out, the board correctly ID'd the 533 MHz FSB Pentium4 and adjusted the FSB as well as FSB : DRAM bus ratio accordingly, e.g. 4:5 instead of 3:5 for the 166 MHz memory bus."

So it depends on you motherboard and BIOS.

zcog

9. Necrosis

Re:

Actually I found out about the SIS chipset a work or so ago. The board is pretty cheap, and an ASUS, if I was to buy a board right now I'd go with that one (P4S533).