New PC for BF3 help

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by germanjulian, Aug 5, 2011.

1. germanjulian

germanjulian Back in London

Hi,

been a while since I have been one here :oops: (maybe 2 years?)

I want to buy/build a new PC for BF3 as my current rig is non gaming as my little gaming is/was done on my xbox. I do game on it sometimes but I am just dissapointed at the graphics, lack of shooters and compared to my brothers PC gaming is awful (I regret going console 2 years ago)

Currently I have:
    ◦Lian Li PC-A05NB Aluminium Mini-Tower Case
    ◦Intel Core i3 550 3.20GHz
    ◦Asus P7H55D-M Evo Intel H55
    ◦Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 12800C7
    ◦Intel X25-M SSD 160GB SSD
    ◦Antec TruePower New Modular 550W PSU
    ◦Asus Xonar DX 7.1 Sound Card
    ◦Akasa AK-CCX-4001HP Nero S Cooler

I think I want to get a new sandybridge mobo, i5 3.3Ghz, 6GB of Ram and a graphics card (24” monitor) and I am sure I need a new PSU.

Can somebody recommend a good motherboard and RAM combination + graphics card for me and good PSU.

I know how to build I just don’t have time any more to review for weeks which motherboard, RAM and graphics card I should go for.

Overclockers.co.uk has some O/C bundels that look quite nice but I dont know if they are ripoff or not.

Cost is not an issue really but reasonable please... I dont need top of the line i7 or SLI graphics.

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Has it really been that long? Good to see you. :)

If you're basing your desire to upgrade on this Battlefield 3 Alpha ???? GPU, I'm not sure how much I trust those numbers and the ones for the CPU look especially suspicious. For example:
    - i3-530 (2.93GHz, 2 cores, 4 threads) losing to E8400 (3 GHz, 2 cores, 2 threads) suggests that the game can't make more than 2 threads
    - Athlon II X4 620 (2.6GHz, 2MB cache) beating the Phenom II X2 550 (3.1GHz, 6MB cache) by almost double says exactly the opposite, that the game scales perfectly with new cores (and clockspeed), but also that it doesn't care so much about cache size;
    - Athlon II X4 620 (2.6GHz, 2MB cache) losing to a Phenom II X4 940 (3GHz, 6MB cache) by more than double is something I've never seen before and seems to suggest that cache is everything, again opposite to what was already observed (also note that this X4 940 beats the mentioned X2 550 by a factor of 4, even though it's the same architecture, same amount of cache, slightly lower clock and only double the cores).

[​IMG]

SO those results are just totally weird, either fake or caused by the current alpha state of the game.

So, for now, I'd just get a new card if I were you, a Radeon 6950 (I love mine!) or 6970, or a GeForce 580 if price isn't an issue.

Also, whatever you do, I'd keep the PSU, 550W is plenty for a normal quad core CPU + single GPU. :)

3. germanjulian

germanjulian Back in London

Oh well I am getting older and more mature it seems and decided to just upgrade my i3 to an Intel i5 760 2.8GHz Socket 1156 quad core which I should be able to O/C to 3.4Ghz easy when I game and I will get myself a GTX 570 I think.

Should be plenty fast of high settings on my 24" screen. :D

4. synthesis204

synthesis204 New Member

A GTX 560 Ti should be able to run BF3 on high (in its current state). And Ivan, I can tell you those numbers aren't lying and are very accurate. BF3 seems very similar to BFBC2 in graphics requirements.

germanjulian -- I would recommend getting a GTX 560 Ti, and in a year or so see if you can get a second one and SLI -- that would give you amazing performance (surpassing even a GTX 580). Or get a regular, stock 2GB HD6950 (no special models) and you can flash it to a 6970.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  5. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Thanks, Synth. The thing looks legit in general, but the CPU numbers are the weirdest that I've ever seen.

@Germanjulian: That CPU + GPU combo looks pretty good to me. :)

6. synthesis204

synthesis204 New Member

No idea why there is such a range, but I can safely tell you a 580 with a 980X can max out the alpha.

@german: I would still recommend a 560Ti, but if you want a 570, go for it :)

7. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

I would've recommended the 570, personally. Although the 560 does well for itself, a single 570 can run Crysis 2 in the highest setting to a decently-playable level.
    A slight step-up in processing power like the i5 you're after will do you justice, rather than needing to splash out for a whole new motherboard, processor, graphics card and memory combo.

As for manufacturer's, my first recommendation would be EVGA. They're a solid make and you have the option, if you so desire, to swap your graphics card for a 580 (they deduct the full amount - minus the p+p - from the step-up) if you decide to do so within 90 days of purchase.
    Gigabyte or ASUS are also noteworthy.