new upgrade Windows 10 pro what a nightmare

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by FuNsTeR, Mar 26, 2019.

1. FuNsTeR

FuNsTeR Caledonian and Proud

started build friday evening this is me basically get online now series of crashes trying to indtall a fresh copy of windows 10 pro ..... if you use another none microsoft web browser system crashes and windows up date doesn't work and if you open internet explorer or edge chrome or any other non microsoft browser won't load and if you avoid using chrome till after the 1809 build is installed it won't work (whilst) it worked between 1809 build being downloaded and before restarting my machine ... having to use Internet Explorer to post as i don't like Edge .... since friday i've formatted my hard drive and re installed windows 10 pro about 30 times and all times both Chrome and Opera .... i get the same error message everytime ..... absolutely doing my head in

This site can’t be reached
    www.hardwareheaven.com took too long to respond.

Try:

ERR_TIMED_OUT

2. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

I don't think it has anything to do with windows installs..

I have been using 1809 since the day it were released.. HH Servers for me (And I would say it were for all of us) since last Wednesday until sometime on Sunday.. were very temperamental no matter what browser is used...

The same goes with anything I have installed on my phone..

(Moved to Windows Forum)

3. FuNsTeR

it's not just hardware heaven mate it's every webpage in non microsoft browsers .... that was just an example ... i should add the culprit may be BT this current build worked ok on my upgraded windows 10 ... the settings might have changed affecting other web browsers and BT internet ... it wouldn't be the first time they have blocked my access .. when i signed up to fibre 18 months ago they blocked my access to RT.com and i made a public complaint about it on RT's twitter that BT was blocking my access to their website and i started a public slanging match with BT ... they denied it until; one of their engineers checked my line saying my access to RT was being denied with the exact same error message above i taunted them hopefully it will be ok when i switch to Virgin Media on the 12th of April ... the carry on with RT.com is the main reason i am quiting BT

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  4. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

The copy of Windows 10, is it an original disc, or a copy (such as he copied an original to give you, or created a disc from the Windows 10 Creation Tool)?

Whenever I've encountered this it's usually because a piece of malware got onto the system, and almost every time it's because of either the USB that the Windows 10 was installed on had malware on it, or the "copy" of the Windows 10 disc had something. One of the biggest culprits are copies of Windows 10 people buy from 3rd party sellers, like on Reddit. The sellers will link to an ISO that works with their key, but have malware built into the install... either intentionally or not. I usually recommend people create their own installs on a clean system, and use the key that they were given.

That also brings me to an idea. Create a new Windows 10 Pro install of your own using a clean system, and do a new install. You can install Windows 10 without using a key, update it to the current version, and if it works with the 3rd party browsers you'll know where the culprit lies.

Edit: something else to look into. Hit the Cortana icon, and start typing "reliability". "View Reliability History" should start showing around the time you hit reli. Open it, and look for any red X's. See if anything is related to your network, internet related software, and so on.

Edit 2: another possibility.
    https://superuser.com/questions/1370326/chrome-wont-work-after-windows-10-update

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  5. FuNsTeR

it's a proper OEM from a business from my local airport it's not downloaded it's a proper microsoft 10 pro DVD with complete with genuine windows sticker

6. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

You tried installing Win 7 and then just doing an upgrade see if that makes any difference ?

7. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

How old is that OEM copy?

1: Never use an older build of windows 10 to do a clean install with... always download the latest build. Numerous modern machines will flatout crash on prior versions of windows 10 builds. Doing the upgrades to the build is very bad move.... hell even during the windows 2000 and xp days, installing service packs were riddled with high failure rates and problems, this is precisely why it was recommended to install via a slipstreamed updated version always. Same goes for vista and windows 7 and it generally wise to go with 8.1 for windows 8.
    2: both ryzen and even many of the kabylake systems will BSOD or work erratically with anything older than 1803.

I can certain state that it's not a windows 10 issue though... a billion people would be screaming about these issues if it was actually a windows 10 problem.

8. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

^^
    To what Judas mentioned, Edit #2 in my post is related to upgrades from pre-1803 to 1809.

I still think creating a new installer from the Windows 10 Creation Tool is your best bet right now. That would start your base install of Windows 10 Pro @ ver. 1809 right from the get go.

FuNsTeR likes this.
  9. FuNsTeR

i've done that i had to install acronis to back up my C Drive image in case i have the same problems ... somehow feel BT internet could be the problem ... they have been in the past

10. Judas

acronis.... oh gaud no...

11. FuNsTeR

you were spot on Tipstaff ... it's working fine now ... you're a star

what's wrong with acronis like and what would you suggest i use .... i used to swear by Drive Image Pro until Norton bought them over

Tipstaff likes this.
  12. Judas

Disk imaging for a lot of people has gone much of the way side... specially since i've seen far too many of them do really strange things and become overall, rather incompatible with basically on the NT6.x based windows versions.... if not outright incompatible... just problematic. Sure it may do the job, but it has had pretty poor results while running let alone being installed on some machines.

With modern machines, it's far simplier to simply do proper clean installs instead of imaging a drive and then "copying" it back.. and it's actually counter productive outside of very short term circumstances, since technically it makes little to no sense at all to image a drive back to something that ends up being older than the current version, you'd be further ahead with getting the latest version slapped on a disk or flash drive for windows and doing a proper clean install, then just copying over the files you require if that needs to be done. There are far too much royal buggering going on with imaging. Plus today machines as so fast, specially with doing installs... i can have windows 10 installed and up to date in less than 15 minutes having done a diskpart clean or even secure erase prior to installation, and if you've got a secondary or additional drives, you can simply disconnect them temporarily to do a clean install and then reattach to resume normal operation, the only thing one would need to do is reinstall many of the game launchers which can redetect prior games, or install some of the programs which take next to no time to do at all anymore.

FuNsTeR likes this.