New Windows 8 drivers released (Sept. 27th 2012)

Discussion in 'PAX Download - PCI X-Fi Series' started by medeirosdez, Sep 27, 2012.

?

Does new Win 8 driver fix the "lost settings after restart" issue for you?

1. Yes, it now saves at restart without need for first shutdown.

50.0%
  2. No, it doesn't. I have to shutdown first to save changes.

50.0%
  1. medeirosdez

medeirosdez New Member

Hello guys,

If you visit Creative's support page for your specific PCI X-Fi soundcard, you'll find out new drivers have been released today, Sept. 27th, 2012. They're named SBXF_PCDRV_WIN8_BETA_US_2_18_0015A.exe.

I'm running Windows 7 here, so I can't test. Would any of you be kind enough to test new driver on a clean install, without any PAX's mods, and post results on whether or not you can't still save Console Launcher settings?

2. medeirosdez

medeirosdez New Member

I have fresh installed Windows 8 RTM (Enterprise Evaluation), and 100% updated it through Microsoft Update (including latest 100MB+ combo update) and I assure you all guys the problem is still there!

I installed Creative's Sept. 27th drivers, vanilla, downloaded directly from Creative's support page for my X-Fi, then added software like Console Launcher and THX Console from DVD Suite (both latest versions).

Whatever changes to console launcher you make will be 100% forgotten if you reboot without shutting down first.

3. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

Did you disable hibernate mode?

4. medeirosdez

medeirosdez New Member

Yes Mr. McClelland, that was one of my first theories on a way to fix the problem. I mean, I am not a programmer of any sort, but I have a pretty strong bet that the issue of lost settings at restart is due to the changes made to the way Windows now shuts down. Disabling "hibernation" mode, anyway, did not fix the problem.

The path to the setting is this:
    Control Panel\Hardware and Sounds\Energy Settings\System Settings

You have to click "Change settings unavailable at the momment" and then uncheck the "Quick Start/Boot" option.

That doesn't fix the issue.

5. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

I guess you guys have wait to there official driver fix the issue first.