Not exactly a religious argument or debate..

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by skylineaddict, Oct 15, 2009.

1. skylineaddict

skylineaddict Sleep Deprived Ant

Warning: Gravity is "Only a Theory" by Ellery Schempp

Read Schempp's article, then read my arguments.

Yes, gravity should be considered a theory, but that's only because current technology can't provide us with a way of measuring gravity at Planck length. So far, though, the gravity theory has held in micro and nanoscopic scales. Also, his argument about gravity waves is somewhat irrelevant. Gravity waves are meant to be a crucial piece of evidence to String Theory, and to supposedly the biggest event of them all, the Big Bang. That doesn't mean that gravity waves are only made by the Big Bang. They are made by pulsars as well (2 neutron stars doing a circular dance at ridiculous speeds). There is no pulsar close enough to allow us to measure its waves, and we can attribute that to the inverse square law. Although Schempp mentions this law in his article, he fails, also, to apply it to his argument about the moon and how we've seen the same face since the day we were born.

It's just basic physics that explains why we've looked at the same face of the moon since our birth, and the fact that the idiot that wrote that article disproves his own argument by mentioning the inverse square law makes his article more of a joke than anything. The gravity of the earth is pulling on the part of the moon closer to it stronger than it is to the part of the moon that is further away from it. That causes a slight warping, but also means that only one face of the moon will be seen by us in our lifetimes.

In high school physics, we did calculations on why the moon is attracted more to the earth than it is to the sun. What Schempp fails to see is that not only is there a huge distance gap between the earth and the moon and the earth and the sun, but the relative sizes of the moon and earth, and the moon and sun. By his reasoning, we should feel the sun pulling on us at certain times of the day, which we do, but the amount is so small, it can be disregarded. The sun is also the cause of the dual-tidal system the earth has going on, which, again, Schempp fails to mention.

Back to the gravity waves for a second. He said that we haven't detected gravity waves here on earth. Truth is, we can't detect it on earth simply because there's too much interference. There are gravity wave detectors on earth, but they can't measure, with any precision, the gravity waves because to be able to measure those waves, you need to have an almost perfect vacuum, not to mention you can't have anyone taking a single step anywhere within 100 meters of the gravity wave detector otherwise it will completely negate the date that the detector gets.

Allow me to quickly explain what a gravity wave detector is, at least according to what I've read. It is basically a laser that is fired into a detector, and the detector measures how much the laser moves (Since gravity bends light). So, his argument against gravity is that there's no proof that gravity can bend light. Bullshit. Light bends, and gets sucked into, a black hole due to gravity. Einstein lenses are another proof that light bends due to gravity.

I'll also point out that there is a three-satellite gravity wave detector being conceived, and maybe built, right now. This gravity wave detector consists of 3 satellites that are thousands of miles apart in a triangular formation. The data from this detector will be irrefutable because it is being done in a near-perfect vacuum, and there will be no other interferences like there will be on earth. This detector, though, is meant primarily to provide evidence to String Theory, although I'm not too sure as to what, specifically, it is trying to prove within String Theory.

I will give him some leeway on the gravity wave argument. Back in 2006, not much was known about them, and detectors were probably only starting to be built or only starting operation during that time. That still gives him no excuse for the anomalies in his arguments about the tides, moon, and sun.

It's kind of odd (And sad) that a high school graduate can disprove a person that went to Brown University.

P.S. One of my friends pointed out that Schempp wrote that article as a satire on Christians' views on Evolution of a theory, saying that even though it is only a theory, it is still VERY powerful and has a lot of evidence. I just wrote my arguments because I want to look somewhat smart (Negated by the fact that I'm a moron for writing it completely seriously, even though Schempp wrote his as somewhat of a joke).

Now, I just want to know, after reading the article by Schempp, what do you think about his satirical view on how Christians view evolution?

2. RE III - Frankie

RE III - Frankie Banned

Blood Pressure and relaxation come to mind. Embodied into a crafted state of play and tell.

3. Senor_Mota

Senor_Mota 悪魔の方法

I don't know how this post got passed over. It's really interesting. Thanks Skyline! :p Anyways, yeah, that article is extremely biased, presumptuous and has hardly any factual basis itself. My favorite line is "Anybody can look up at night and see the obvious gaps in gravity theory". It made me laugh really hard when I read it, so at least I got to go into the article in a good mood.

Except for like three sentences in this article, he sounds like a fundamentalist christian spouting off about how a "Creator gave us the tides" and this gem of a quote:

"For example, astronomers, who seem to have a fetish for gravity, tell us that the moon rotates on its axis but at the same time it always presents the same face to the earth. This is patently absurd."

Astronomers? Fetish? The? These are all words that are hardly associated with each other, since it doesn't really make any goddamned sense to do so. :D

Seriously, I don't think the scientific community is sitting around in private rooms and "rubbing one out" to a picture of a flux inverter and black hole making out...although, it might be hot.

This "Ellery Schempp" guy went to Brown University? Jesus. Apparently, you don't have to be truly intelligent to acquire a 4.0 grade average and get into an Ivy-League school. You just have to sound like a generalizing, ill-informed nincompoop.

4. Bo_Fox

Bo_Fox New Member

LOL.. that was one of the most absurd articles ever written by a guy with a Ph.D.!!! Did he mean this as a joke or satire? Perhaps there was one hint at the bottom that it was meant as a joke?!? I dunno!

By the way, @ skylineaddict, what did you mean by your sig: I see the three dimensions, and I feel the fourth ever so slowly taking everything from me. I can only wonder what the other dimensions are doing to me, or if I do anything to them. I have a feeling I can influence other dimensions a lot more than I can influence the ones I live in.. ? The 4th dimension is time, right? Yeah, we cannot cheat time--as it passes on, we pass away (hence time taking from us), I presume? But what about the other dimensions???

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  5. dawgXdenta

dawgXdenta New Member

2 deep for me , I lost touch of phyiscs in second year of college 6 years ago,these were the kind of discussions we used to have. It almost always lead to homework calculating some path of some said projectile in space taking interactive gravity of 2 bodies into effect

6. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I am sorry I read only the first few paragraphs, it was like reading an article written by a 10 year old. The guy is either joking, trolling or is ignorant beyond belief (get it?)

I don't know what you said skylineaddict, but if you are against him, you are pretty much dead on, even if you talk about dragons.

What a stupid stupid "article".

ok seriously, it must be a joke. This has to be humor.

7. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

better things to do with my time, this article was a bit rubbish.