Nvidia does not abandon mid and high end market

Discussion in 'News Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Oct 7, 2009.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Many reading this may have heard of newshound Charlie Demerjian who was a writer on well known UK news 'gossip' site The Inquirer. For the last few years the majority of his news articles have focused exclusively on Nvidia, detailing their apparent wrongdoings and failures in a variety of areas.

Today I received a few emails from our readers asking if I knew anything about this article on his interestingly entitled site Semi Accurate.

In this diatribe Charlie writes "NVIDIA IS KILLING the GTX260, GTX275, and GTX285 with the GTX295 almost assured to follow as it (Nvidia: NVDA) abandons the high and mid range graphics card market. Due to a massive series of engineering failures, nearly all of the company's product line is financially under water, and mismanagement seems to be killing the company."

Charlie also goes on to say : "With the cancellation of the GTX285, GTX275, and GTX260, possibly the GTX295 too, Nvidia is abandoning the entire high end and mid-range graphics market. Expect a reprise in January on the low end. The company is badly mismanaged and hated by the very partners it needs to throw it a life preserver."

These are obviously rather bold claims indeed and I decided to give Nvidia a call this afternoon to get their feedback on the aforementioned claims. An Nvidia spokesperson told me "There is no truth to this. Charlie has become a sponsored site of his sole advertiser. Look at his website it looks like an AMD ad." Nvidia also assured me with a chuckle that they are not 'abandoning the mid or high end markets'.

Obviously every company can put a 'spin' on anything they feel is relevant so I decided to call a few of Nvidia's partners to get their feedback on supply and demand - a few of them said they have quite low supplies of GTX285 and GTX295. This however can not be simply interpreted as a 'worrying' issue for Nvidia users because as many of our readers will know they actually have a new range of cards out very shortly to compete against the current range of DX11 boards from AMD - therefore it makes sense for them to start putting all of their focus into the upcoming range of hardware.

In industry circles it is very apparent that Charlie is venomously 'anti Nvidia' however I think we can safely assume that Nvidia won't be abandoning the mid or high end market anytime soon. As for the fate of the current range of cards, many leading UK stores such as Overclockers and Ebuyer have reasonably healthy supplies of the current Nvidia range - actually much on a par with ATI.

Allan Campbell - Heaven Media

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

lol.... charlie charlie charlie......

3. clanman

clanman New Member

Zardon, this new range of Nvidia cards, can you detail them? do they really exist. Charlie said in that article that they won't be out till January and its only going to be low end cards? is that right?

4. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

We are under NDA so no I can't detail anything about Nvidia's upcoming range of cards. As for the "low end cards only" comments, I would take that with a pinch of salt ;)

5. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

This has nothing to do with AMD

6. macbiter

macbiter New Member

Actually it might have more to do with AMD than you think. Charlie is best mates with a guy called Chris Hook who is head of PR for AMD/ATi. There is no way you would move from the inquirer to start a new site and immediately get huge AMD funding right away. Adverts are based on hits, or in this case friendships.

Whole thing is a joke, Nvidia need to take action against these kind of articles. Thanks Zardon for taking the time to get correct information on this all.

7. Alex

Alex Driverheaven Lover

It is actually so ludicrous I fail to see how anyone could believe it, but you always have ATI fanboys who jump on things like this and make it big news. Not saying its 'just' this way as it can work equally so in reverse. I am glad to see DH focusing more on news and getting news as well, there are very few tech news sites I actually trust for valid information.

Nice job.

8. humonous

humonous New Member

Looking forward to the reviews on these, have you any time frames on them being published Z? Can't wait to see what nvidia come up with tbh was quite disappointed with the ATI cards, was expecting more of a performance boost.

9. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

Yes he should be punished for releasing fake provocative news as well as anyone with the same orientation towards any company.

10. longhorn1000

longhorn1000 New Member

Nvidia abandons mid and high end markets? wtf. I can understand this kind of sensationalist posting in girlie magazines, but on a 'grown mans' website.

I mean, lets get real - if Charlie is out to damage Nvidia, lets handle it in a way thats semi realistic. "Semi accurate" my arse. Incidentally who the hell designed his website, a former darts player? my kid sister could come up with a better design than that, looks like a home page. well a home page with AMD ads all over it :p

Clearly AMD need to sort out their PR if they pay muppets like him to write that garbage. I am a big fan of ATI but if I find out they are behind that website in some underhanded way im getting larabee, even if it sucks. The thought that even 1cent of my money is helping fund that website is sickening.

11. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

There used to be interesting stuff on The Inquirer, but I'm getting a feeling that that guy is loosing the plot.

If they're abandoning production of the current range of their cards, it's only because they want them out of the market by the time they deliver the new line-up, which may be an indication of their new series offering slightly worse "bang for buck" ratio than the old one, at least in current games, or lower profit per unit sold, and they don't want them to compete, or they are simply focusing all of their manufacturing resources on the new chips, which makes a lot of sense.

12. clanman

clanman New Member

Yeah exactly Ivan, I never thought of that, Nvidia might not want to compete with their old range on a bang per buck ratio and they want them gone. That said, is everyone seeing stock of Nvidia cards ok in their country? I have no issues getting any boards of Nvidia here, although the 285 GTX looks to be out of stock in a lot of shops. That said the 5870 actually looks to be out of stock already in most places too - I can maybe understand Nvidia not having much stock to bring in the new boards, but ATI? the cards are only out, its basically been a paper launch :(

13. LukeK

LukeK New Member

Its funny.

I remember going to charlies site once after he left the inquirer and there were 5 news stories all about how nvidia kill orphaned kids for breakfast and how their cards omit nuclear fallout and cause people who use them to spout 8 pairs of additional eyes, but I left immediately.

I see it hasn't changed, but instead of 5 news stories, its now 25, all about how much Nvidia suck. I wonder did Jen Hsun diddle his mother or something - the quotes are far too personal for anything else.

"At $1 per year, Jen-Hsun is overpaid." - really? wonder how much AMD are paying Charlie, on his scale of 'worthiness" must be a few cents per year - you would think that might be enough to afford a decent hair cut however.

14. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I am glad the "news" was fake.
    So I guess he is turning into The Onion, with less humour.
    Oh well.

15. clanman

clanman New Member

He seens to have a huge and rather fanatical ATI fanbase following him which is frightening really as he writes like an employee of the company - not really an ideal trait for a 'newsporter'. I will give him something however he can sure as hell get hits from all the big tech sites to the garbage he writes. Seen debates on this everywhere. People seem to be getting their panties in a wad when I fail to see how 90% of it is true at all.

16. catflaps

catflaps New Member

ah come on guys give Charlie a break he is funny as hell,. I used to love his news on the inquirer - it was massively entertaining. Am I the only person to see that all the anti Nvidia propoganda he details is actually helping Nvidia? There is an old saying that any PR is good PR. AMD really need to give Charlie a tranquiliser however cause he is damaging their company as his actions are SO clearly funded by AMD. Interesting to read about Chris Hook in here, wasnt he the guy who made the public statement on tweaktown about Nvidia failing? Guess its all a tangled weave of behind the scenes moves.

I will say something tho - you really can't get away with being so 'personal ' in your news posting, that is really Charlies biggest downfall and why he isn't really taken seriously by the more educated tech public, which is sad in a way because sometimes he has actually been right in the past. More people would be willing to listen if he wasn't grabbing people by the mouth and trying to ram it down their throats like some madman who just found his wife in bed with a guy wearing an Nvidia Tshirt.

17. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

I don't think that's a very safe assumption nor does it seem like it's supported by the facts. :(

I hear a lot of people bashing Charlie for his bias, but I don't see anyone repudiating his facts. Also, why is everyone so quick to believe what nVidia PR says? Do we really have to go that far back to see examples of when they've been a bit less-than-honest? (Referring to the recent Fermi mock-up. :p )

18. humonous

humonous New Member

You have facts saying Nvidia won't be releasing any mid or high range cards in the future? Care to share?

19. jandarsun8

jandarsun8 Active Member

Well, have to admit that I did think it was true at first but when it started showing up on a lot of other forums and all pointing that site, I started looking for other confirmations and found none so I'm glad to see that it's not true. I do use ATI cards but no competition is a bad thing for everyone so I'm happy to see that it's not the case.

20. Alex

Alex Driverheaven Lover

Its rather niave to assume a company will always be honest with the public - this isn't some kind of check on dating a new woman. Companies will always lie to a certain extent, it is part of the game. What I do like to see however is Nvidia actively making sure huge tech sites like Driverheaven and Hardocp get very public quotes to defend themselves. Not because I hate ATI, but because at a later date if they are found lying they really have no place to run for cover. I mean its a no lose situation for us - its great when we get sites like this trying to cut through the fud to the truth.

Charlie posted something very dramatic which Nvidia needed to make public statements against - in doing so they have taken a particular stance and over the next two months we will see how 'honest' they have been, when the hardware hits sites like this for review. If all we end up with are a few low end cards from Nvidia then they end up looking rather silly. If we end up with a 5870 beater then we realise that Charlie's head is up the corporate ass of AMD.

I don't care either way, both scenarios are entertaining.