Nvidia does not abandon mid and high end market

Discussion in 'News Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

That's because the term "Equal Opportuntities Employer" includes crack heads and fanboys.

2. flamingturds

flamingturds New Member

Charlie has been right about some things in the past, just a shame he seems to write his news like he is foaming at the mouth or throwing darts at Nvidia HQ photographs.

I fail to see how Nvidia will not produce a high end card in the future or even a mid range board, this has always been their strong area - I know they havent been making massive amounts of profit this year, but apart from Apple I dont think any big company has really due to the economy.

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

considering that the 300 series is bound to whip around the corners.....

to many details missing from both sides... only thing we can do is wait and see

4. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I have a feeling we won't see a new Nvidia card during this year.

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

really?

when did ATI first show off their 5xxx at a press meeting and the time between that and when an actual product was for sale...

There is a remote possibility that start of december could see it.

6. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

Wow !
    Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 118 (1 members and 117 guests)

7. clanman

clanman New Member

Yeah Zardon's post has been linked everywhere.

8. Alex

Alex Driverheaven Lover

I thought this might bring a chuckle to a few people today.

From his latest "article" SemiAccurate :: Nvida launches uncompetitive G210 and GT220

"We strongly urge that you do not use either Windows Vista or Windows 7 for anything with important data on it due to Microsoft malware, unexplained data theft, and silently overriding update settings."

He is like the old man next door who walks around wearing his underwear over his trousers and whispering incoherently about aliens abducting him and corrupt evil government conspiracy theories.

9. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

I think it is better not to broadcast his articles here as long as he is biased and faulty.

10. Goty

Goty New Member

Source: Fudzilla

While Charlie's article was obviously sensationalized (which is why we "love" him :p), evidently he wasn't technically wrong.

11. humonous

humonous New Member

Well you see this is the thing really. We have already discussed the lack of availability of a lot of the new ATI products. I think its more of an understanding for Nvidia with new products about to be launched and them perhaps not wanting to compete against each other and their last generation. From what I have heard there is a general shortage in the far east, and it is not just focused on Nvidia.

I guess we will see if Nvidia don't release any new mid range or high end boards before Christmas. I would think its unlikely, but if this happens then at least a part of Charlie's dramatic predictions might be right.

12. Goty

Goty New Member

I had thought the consensus about ATI's shortages were due to the large allocation of parts to OEMs such as Dell, but I guess only ATI can really say for sure.

The reason I think Charlie was at least partially right is because you (almost) never see a company EOL the previous generation products BEFORE the launch of the new generation, AFAIK. Also, the only product from NVIDIA's current generation that should compete with Fermi on performance is the GTX295, especially when you consider the fact that NVIDIA isn't expected to debut a mid- or low-end Fermi part for quite some time, so why would they EOL the only parts that would fill that space for the immediate future? (EDIT: Sorry, I didn't read the last bit of your post, I'm a bit scatter-brained today. Do we have any relatively credible rumors about anything other than high-end Fermi parts, or is it all just hearsay as of now?)

I think the logical reason for this action is that NVIDIA has realized that they simply can't compete on price/performance with ATI's new products right now (due to their relatively high cost), so they've decided to cut their losses by not ordering any more parts that may or may not sell at all, and more probably won't sell for a profit, even given the current retail limitations of ATI's new parts.

I'm not quite sure how this reconciles with my last statement in my second paragraph, but the idea does make sense on its own, I think.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  13. macbiter

macbiter New Member

Yeah its a point, but what about Nvidia and Apple?

I don't think the 285 and 295 gtx are particularly cost effective and from what I hear, the largest manufacturer Palit decided to cut their losses and slow down production to focus on the new range coming out shortly. Could be wrong, but there are quite a few availability issues with ATI right now as well so I wouldn't necessarily class Nvidia cutting production via their high level partners a sign that they are totally cancelling all production of mid to high end cards in the future. Would you?

Yeah that is actually a very good possibility, however i am sure they aren't just 'giving up'. That seems a rather far fetched proposition. perhaps ATI have the upper hand right now, but for how long? I think thats the all important question. Releasing a DX11 part right now seems somewhat of a rushed failure as software developers are lagging so far behind, the next big game to utilise DX11 is Dirt 2 which is scheduled for a January 2010 release. I see no rush right now, its not like the high end parts need another 15fps to run L4D.

Yes parts of it do, and you make some good points actually. I just have an issue with Charlie's scaremonger tactics and his prophet of doom scenarios in which nvidia seem to be just giving up forever. There are too many other factors to consider. A: he is a journalist who basically got kicked off the inquirer for spouting so much anti nvidia propoganda and has been funded to the amount of 10 thousand a month from Chris Hook (his buddy) in AMD. b: writes nothing but anti Nvidia pieces c: seems actually slightly unstable in many ways. Would you seriously in any other industry just follow someone like this blindly? I think not.

14. Goty

Goty New Member

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I'm not agreeing with his statement that NVIDIA is completely abandoning the high end, I was just pointing out that there was certainly a grain of truth to his claims. Basically, de-sensationalize most of his NVIDIA stories of late and he's been, and someone will have to shoot me for this later, semi-accurate ;)

15. macbiter

macbiter New Member

I do agree with some of your points, there is something going on a little more than just skin deep. It has always been a frustration for me though reading Charlies editorials - there is often a little bit of truth in what he writes, I just had to spend so long cutting through his 100 levels of Nvidia hate to get to the good facts. Sometimes there weren't any, and sometimes there were. I think I wasted a few months of my life trying to work out the truth in his posts over the last year.

Unfortunately I need to make it clear he is heavily funded by Hook/AMD, I know this for a fact, can't really explain how I know, but I do :)