NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 Graphics Card @ HH

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by craig5320, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Gastrian

Gastrian New Member

Running these in SLI? Surely the power requirements, heat generated and noise are equally "impressive".

Just noticed but on the internal temperatures section you said;

"Although the use of this cooling solution makes the front of the card hotter than the 5870 the exhaust area is noticeably cooler than on the NVIDIA card."

Should that line read as -

the exhaust area is cooler on the NVIDIA card.

or

the exhaust area is cooler on the ATI card

I'm assuming its the first option.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  2. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

Wow Stuart, that was a great review - wonderful insights available from the mentions of the underlying technologies and from how it runs games, not just that it runs games faster than a 5870, or not, by x amount.

I'm not surprised at what I'm seeing with the gaming results from the GTX 480. Nvidia is doing what they had to do - it's the most powerful single die solution, period. That's all they really needed to pull off at the start of things - for the PC gaming market. If it can do what it did for Far Cry 2, there's more power there that's not yet harnessed and possibly not even NVidia have got it down yet (practically, they gotta know theoretically...) as to how to really pull all the stops out of the architecture. ATI is still doing some of the same with their architecture too - part of what makes this competition between them so interesting.

Nvidia is in the midst of a change of focus, we all know that. They needed to be able to sell 3.2 BBBBillion (!!!) transistors on a die at once and the only practical way to do that was to make it run as a video card. It's obvious Nvidia have more in mind for the technology enabling the newest features of the card.

Heck, it seems to me that Nvidia is doing really well working those transistors within a market (PC gaming) by not only making it 20 percent faster than any other single die solution, but giving some very forward looking additional features to boot - features that will translate to superior performance and, hopefully, sales in other broader markets.

The 480 GTX is priced only about 15% higher than a 5870 here in the States, so they're comparable, and they're both too darned expensive!

3. iPlayer

iPlayer Filled with noobsauce

Good review. I'm glad you guys used 10.3a drivers unlike the other reviews I have read thus far.

I agree that Physx is definitely one of nVidia's better selling points, right along with 3d.

That reference heatsink is really nice btw. :)

4. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Correct, thanks for spotting that.

5. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

I agree that this is not a bad card. NVIDIA fans should be able to buy it without feeling bad. Others might think twice, because it's not the best on many fronts, but it's at least a decent performing card, and the price point isn't too bad. AMD could turn up the heat on the price front any time they want, though.

As for PhysX, I hope it'd stop being used and be replaced by Bullet or some other cross hardware library. I wouldn't have minded PhysX so much if NVIDIA didn't try to limit it to NVIDIA-only systems. I have both an original Ageia PhysX card and a GeForce 9600 that I could use as a secondary card, and NVIDIA no longer supports the former and tries to prevent the use of the latter as a secondary card to an ATI. I could go through the hoops of enabling PhysX on the 9600 alongside the ATI, but I don't really feel like it and I'm pissed at NVIDIA for the way they're blocking people.

6. Gastrian

Gastrian New Member

Were we reading the same review? The 480 only outperformed the 5870 by 20% or more in a handful of games, Modern Warfare 2, GTA4, HAWX and Dark Void in the air. The majority is only by less than 5fps on minimum and average framerates while the 5870 is even able to beat the 480 in a few tests.

Though I am shocked about the 15% price difference in the states, we are almost getting a 1$:1£ price conversion on the 480 while we are getting a 4$:3£ conversion on the 5870 so our price difference between the 5870 and 480 is more akin to 50% or 45% of a Sapphire Vapour-X 5870 which generally has a 2fps advantage over the stock card.

7. darkunknown88

darkunknown88 New Member

Hey Veridian3!

I want you to make another review; this time with 2x GTX480's with SLI config. AND compare it with 2x Sapphire Toxic Radeon 5870's with CrossfireX config. Then we all can actually know which card beat each other and if the GTX 480's is really worth for the enthusiast market. We still dont know the full performance capability bcos you haven't tested the 480 in SLI.............I am just eagerly waiting for this test. Hope you come out with it soon:drool:

8. darkunknown88

darkunknown88 New Member

I entirely agree with you. Gamers can still have Sapphire toxic 5870 with vapor x coooling as an option against the 480's. ATI could have come out with a much better card if they had experimented 6 months more like the nVidia. I always heard that ATI had a bit of heating problems at times but, but nVidia? Heating issues????????? unbelievable...................... We have to wait until driverheaven checks these cards in 2x config. Then we will actually know.

9. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

I would be afraid to let a SLI system with two 480''s run when not home. They are bound to break in to fire and create a black hole.

10. swimtech

Yes, I think I was, although instead of Far Cry 2 I meant to say Left 4 Dead 2 - I was really taken with the 32xAA performance in the second chart. Sorry, the 20% figure was just what I estimated in my head after reading - and that is high overall.

It could also be said that the 5870 beat the 480 in only 2 of the games - Just Cause 2 and AVP, while the rest gave a 5-15% advantage to the GTX480, with GTA4, L4D2, and HAWX showing more. I'm looking at the minimum and average rates as you are.

I'm not playing Nvidia advocate - I use ATI's cards in everything I have and have for many years - I'm just impressed with Nvidia's effort and that they got such a good overall result with DX10 and DX11 (those DX9 improvements over the 200 series are nice, but to be expected) games.

You know, now that they've got the hardware out the door, it'll be good to see how they do with driver improvements. ATI has had great improvements with their 5000 series and it wouldn't surprise me if Nvidia can do some of the same.

About the front page poll, for me, I'd get two 5770s, that setup looks to be the value/performance sweet spot. The 5870 is definitely the value/performance pick considering your price differences, but look at the dual 5770s too - the two together beat a 5870 at times...

11. Gastrian

Gastrian New Member

Sorry, was a little over-eager in my reply.

Well I've got to be honest and say this is one of the most lukewarm performance crown takings I've seen in a long while. nVidia has taken the performance crown and shows a lot of potential in the PhysX and 3D area but general performance only just edges out the previous pack leader, is nine months late to the party, is more expensive, louder and hotter. For the wait you would've expected a 5870 killer not beater. When Sapphire release the 2GB 5850 it'd be fun to see what type of performance you'd get if you overclocked it to the point where it was generating the same heat and noise as a 480.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  12. swimtech

After such a long wait, and the heat/noise factors you and others have highlighted, yeah, it doesn't "feel" like a 5870 killer. The differences in prices between the US/UK/Europe make the value issue quite confusing, for me anyway. It would take a bit of study.

For those who know better than I, I wonder what the correlation is between particular game engine features and the performance differences. That analysis could be quite the brain-racker.

13. Gastrian

Gastrian New Member

It could be a case that the current UK prices are pre-order/limited stock prices to take advantage of the first adopters and may come down in price to be like that of the US but till then the extra £100+ could be better spent on a different upgrade if you are doing a full system rebuild.

14. sammorris

sammorris New Member

I'm betting the Left 4 Dead 32x AA result down to video memory. Using a resolution like 2560x1600 with 32xAA uses an astronomical amount of video memory, I imagine the 1.5GB the GTX480 has instead of the 1GB for the HD5870 is what caused the huge performance gap, not the architecture.
    I don't consider the GTX480 'superior' to the HD5870 in any way, just as I don't consider the 216 core GTX260 superior to the HD4870, or consider the GTS250 superior to the HD4850. They only excel in games that always favour nvidia products. There are plenty of games where the reverse is true, and you notice that even in Crysis, a once nvidia-dominated title, the GTX480 does nothing an HD5870 can't until AA is applied at 2560x1600, which again leads me to believe there's memory issues at stake. A 2GB HD5870 going up against the GTX480 would answer a lot of questions.
    I personally don't even think there's $100 in it, such as the US price dictates, let alone the £130 here. The extra performance warrants perhaps an extra $50/£40 at the absolute most, then couple it with the fact that the card uses such an astronomical amount of power, potentially requiring PSU upgrades (especially for SLI users), I think its value is the same as the HD5870, $400/£320, and not a bit higher. This includes the fact that it has PhysX available. We'll ignore 3D Vision, I think it's a gimmick, something fun to play around with, but never something you'd use seriously, and PhysX produces some shiney effects but has dubious long-term lifespan, and can still be hacked in (I think). Then look at the enormous performance drops it causes. You ruin a GPU's performance by adding PhysX, just add a second card for that job.
    What I would really like to see, is the upcoming 4GB HD5970 at HD5870 clocks, go up against two GTX480s in SLI. The power usage difference between the cards will be amazing, but the performance? I actually have no idea. People seem to think SLI scales better than Crossfire, I disagree. I think SLI scales well in MORE games than Crossfire, but it doesn't necessarily do any better in the ones that do work, after all if in quite a few games I'm seeing 370% usage on my Quad crossfire system, the scaling for two GPUs must be pretty good.

Trusteft likes this.