OC recommendations

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Takaharu, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

I'm thinking of tweaking my gaming PC and I'm after a few suggestions. I won't be spending any money on additional components, unless you count cooling.

Specs are one of two choices but either one will have a Coolermaster Mystique 631, GTX 280 OC2 and an OCZ Stealth Xstream 650W. Only one hard drive.

Choice 1
    Phenom 620
    ASUS M4A78LT-M LE
    2x Kingston 1GB DDR3 1333MHz HyperX (7-7-7-20)

Choice 2
    Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Gigabyte GA-G31MF-S2
    2x 1GB DDR2 800MHz Crucial Ballistix (4-4-4-12)

Which one should I use if I want to overclock for a nicer performance? Gaming only.
    Also, what would people recommend for a decent cooler? I'm after bang for the buck that can do the job for whichever one is chosen out of the two. Not overly bothered about sound, as long as it doesn't sound like an aircraft taking off.

2. synthesis204

synthesis204 New Member

If you can push the Q6600 past 3Ghz (3.4 would probably be best bet) I don't think you'd have any issues with any games on the market with a GTX280 (for the most part). Because the Q6600 has hyperthreading, it would be able to take advantage much more so than the Athlon 620 imo.

I would highly recommend getting 4GB of ram, though -- most of the newer games use 1-1.5gb easily, which could really choke down your system.

Also -- I'd recommend the Corsair H50.

3. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Firstly, the Q6600 does not have hyperthreading, but it is of course a quad.

By the Phenom 620, I take it you mean the Athlon 620?

Presuming that that's the case, I would say that the Intel solution is likely to offer better performance at stock. Which will perform best when overclocked depends to a large extent on how lucky you were with your piece of silicon.

Personally, I'd be tempted to cart around your main machine, although I take it from your asking for advise on this issue that that isn't a practical solution.

Other than that, what synthesis said.

4. synthesis204

synthesis204 New Member

Wow. I googled Q6600 hyperthreading, saw results from Intel.com with the word yes bolded, but didn't open the link.

In that matter then, I think they would be fairly close. The Q6600 is going to run stronger at stock, but under OC, it'll vary. I think the AMD might be a better OCer, but your mileage may vary.

5. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Hyperthreading didn't even exist on Conroe and Penryn chips. Silly you!

6. synthesis204

synthesis204 New Member

Yes, silly me.

7. Takaharu

Yeah, Athlon 620, my mistake.

The Q6600 is, apparently, slightly better at stock but I thought I'd ask in case the DDR3 played a notable factor.
    As for my main PC, it's a little heavy for me to carry to work then to a friend's house and finally back home again once a week, especially if we decide not to bother with gaming on the odd occasion, hence why I own two PCs. Expensive option but I didn't really have an alternative and it was before I bought my laptop.

If the Q6600 had Hyperthreading they wouldn't have bothered with 1156 & 1366.
    Also, the H50? I think you missed the "bang for the buck" part.
    I might get 4GB RAM at some point but for now none of the games use much RAM. Heck, even using a graphics card other than the onboard is overkill for most of the games we play.

8. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

A hefty air cooler might not fit in a matx case, and also might put a lot of pressure on the low end motherboard.

I'm afraid I can't really reccomend one, as I've had no experience with coolers worth more than £10.

9. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

what about the arctic freezer series?
    They are a cheap solution for the cooling capabilities they provide, are not heavy at all... although they might not fit in a matx case.

10. synthesis204

synthesis204 New Member

Scythe Mugen 2, imho.

11. Takaharu

Well, I finally got round to doing the switchover yesterday.

Saturday I removed my 320GB drive after I reformatting it Friday, hooked up the SATA cable to the motherboard and... forgot the spare power supply. Bugger it. I really wanted to get the main stuff out of the way (installing Windows, a few games, etc) so that I had a quick turnaround to have it up and running for the beginning of the week; Monday to install any leftover games and then their patches.
    To my relief, I had a really old power supply (235W) that, after much deliberating, I converted into a modern(ish) PSU. Long story short, which involved me attempting to use a 12V PCI-E power cable in a 24V ATX port (which is actually plugging 12V into the ground and two ground into the 12V) I jerry-rigged the PSU to plug into the motherboard, plugged the power cable of an external HDD connector into the hard drive and wired a SATA plug onto the PSU. I lived to tell the tale but didn't take any photos (the PSU is still rigged up how I left it if you really want to see.

Anyway, I got a few games installed, brought my gaming PC home on Sunday and I unplugged everything yesterday, removing the motherboard that was in there. I adjusted a few wires, screwed in the "new" motherboard and... "OH BUGGER IT ALL!"

So yeah, I'm back using the AMD processor again, fresh hard drive and I kept the 250GB in there for extra storage (game patches, documents, etc).
    Sadly, there's a 4GB kit of Kingston 1600Mhz on ebuyer that I've noticed has reduced down to £35. On the flip side, I couldn't afford it even if I wanted to... until next week. Yeah... that just doesn't inspire me with confidence. Luckily, I don't want a new processor in there, only to overclock it a tad.

12. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Did that used to be a graphics card? I hope it wasn't the 280 D:

13. synthesis204

synthesis204 New Member

I can't tell...what is that pic of/whats happening in that pic, Tak?

14. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

I think the video card won't fit past the memory or something of that nature....

15. Takaharu

The SATA ports are positioned directly behind the end of the graphics card, preventing any hope of plugging in a graphics card that's over 18cm.
    That's any of the SATA ports with the 280 by the way. The only way around it would be to use one angled SATA cable and an IDE cable, though I can't be bothered to test that theory (especially as I have no IDE drives).

16. Dybdal

Dybdal New Member

If your lucky you can unlock the extra cache in the amd. I did it once.. Unlocked an Athlon ii x4 620 to a phenom ii x4:) But sadly it wasn't stable. You might be luckier than me.

But if you can't i would go for the intel. I overclocked a q9550 to 3.6 with coolit domino alc. :) So i would recomend the h50 or h70 to fit in that small case, or else the mugen 2 :D

17. Takaharu

[​IMG]

I got a Coolermaster Hyper TX3, 2x2GB OCZ 1600Mhz (under £22 from OcUK) and a fan splitter cable (there is only one chassis fan port on the motherboard).
    The 620 is now running at a stable 3.1GHz.