OEM XtremeMusic not recognized in Win8

Discussion in 'PAX Download - PCI X-Fi Series' started by Heraisu, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Heraisu

Heraisu New Member

Running a Win8 RTM build. I have an OEM XtremeMusic which worked with the same 1.25 drivers on Win7. The drivers installed OK but the device still is not recognized as no drivers are installed for it.

I am not sure what information you need specifically, I have two unknown devices in Device Manager, I am guessing the one you need is

"Multimedia Audio Controller"
    Device IDs:
    PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0005&SUBSYS_10031102&REV_00
    PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0005&SUBSYS_10031102
    PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0005&CC_040100
    PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0005&CC_0401

Please let me know what else you would need. I am so excited to have my new system up and running with nice sound again! :D

Thank you for all you do.

2. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

You try v2.30 set?

3. Heraisu

Heraisu New Member

Yes, I did. On the driver install step I got the same error message as this person in the 2.30 thread:

Ok, well apparently I can't post images OR link URLs until I have 15 posts... I tried. It is post #12 on the 2.30 thread (you replied to it on post #14 of that thread). "Error I-001"

Sorry to make it inconvenient for you but the forum gives me no way to share an image...

4. Robert McClelland

Sounds like you need do another fresh formated :(.

5. Heraisu

Heraisu New Member

Of the OS? This IS a fresh format. The PAX drivers were one of the first things I tried (along with the other core drivers). Please explain why formatting the OS would change the fact that the device ID does not match the driver install... What needs to be removed that you say I have to reformat for? Thanks.

6. Robert McClelland

well the device ID is in the set :) You try device manger way setup? You using windows 8?

7. Heraisu

Heraisu New Member

Uhg, I typed up a long reply and the forum didn't take it because "the token has expired"... So no pictures, no links, no long posts.

As I don't care to type out the entire process again because of a bad forum, I will give the short version:

When attempting to install though device manager, I got a more useful error message, the key part of which reads:
    "The hash for the file is not present in the specified catalog file. The file is likely corrupt or the victim of tampering."

This seems to be part of W8 new "improved" driver signing security. I removed signing though for another driver already... so I will see if I can get it to work and get back to you. It does identify the device and driver though, you were right.

8. Robert McClelland

You need disable that F8 then 7 before installing new 2.30 set from today :)

9. Heraisu

Heraisu New Member

Yes, disabling driver signing worked. Windows 8 works a bit differently though. For one, even if you use bcdedit to permanently remove the settings, it only removes integrity checking, it refuses to make TESTSIGNING permanent. (Though it worked for other unsigned drivers I installed.) Secondly, F8 is gone with Win8, you have to go into the PC Options > General > and navigate the Metro menus to find an option to restart with advanced options. Then as you said, 7.

So, it seems to be working. Thank you very much for your work and the many quick replies to this!

10. Robert McClelland

Np using the July 23 set hehe? In time?

11. Heraisu

Heraisu New Member

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. What is July 23 set?

12. archaven

archaven New Member

I've used X-Fi XtremeMusic few years back and it's really having alot of hardware issues. I really recommend you to upgrade. I'm using X-Fi Elite Pro. It's obsolete too but it's really awesome compared to XtremeMusic

13. Robert McClelland