Ok have a choice between a gaming laptop and gaming desktop

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Calliers, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

I have a choice between a new gaming laptop and a new gaming desktop. Now considering I don't really play many games, aside from League of Legends, a bit of Star Wars The Old Republic and Audiosurf, I don't see why I should get another kick ass gaming desktop. I think if I dropped slightly more than a grand on a gaming laptop I should be ok, considering if a new game came out I wanted to play it would be able to handle it even though it wouldn't be 4k and all glitz and glamour but it would be good enough aka playable.

As for the price it can vary, basically my little bro is dropping 3.5 grand on me to get a phone and a new PC when I move in with him in a couple months, so I have some time to think about it.

As for the phone I've already decided on a Sony Xperia for like 500 dollars. Anything left over is going into bullion. Gotta keep stackin'!

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

SPACE.
    Is it at a premium or not?
    Screen. Are you going to use an external or not?
    Are those 3 the only PC games you are going to play? 100% ?
    How long do you plan on keeping said system? If for over a year or two, make sure if you get a laptop to get one which is user repairable so that you can if need be clean it, replace the thermal paste, etc.
    Noise. How important it is for you? If very, make sure you get an overkill system for the games you are going to play, especially if you get a laptop. Less strain put on the system, less noise will come out of the fans.

3. Calliers

Thank you for reply.

Ok, space, no its not at a premium.

Screen, I'll be using the laptop screen. (17" probably)

Yes, those are the only three games I'll probably ever play.

Yes I plan on keeping the system for a while, I will make sure to get one I can open up and repair, dust out, etc.

Noise, I'm not bothered by loud noise, but both Star Wars KOTR and League of Legends don't require a lot of muscle so I doubt that they will make the PC run its fans at full.

I was thinking something like this:-

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154705CVF&ignorebbr=1

4. Trusteft

gpu is bad with limited vram

5. Calliers

But its more than enough for League of Legends? Right?

6. Trusteft

2GB of VRAM purchase is just plain stupid in 2018 for gaming

7. Calliers

OK, I'll go higher. What would be acceptable?

For just over 2000 I can build a really good desktop.

8. Trusteft

1060+
    4gb+
    16GB+
    512GB+

Calliers likes this.
  9. Calliers

Trusteft likes this.
  10. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

how soon do you need something....

there's an upset in the market occuring and you'll likely get something vastly more powerful and capable for even cheaper, added with full freesync 2.0 support even that meets basic HDMI 2.1 specs/requirements.

Vega 12 is launched soon which should theoretically and by rumors standards, suggest something that'll blow the doors off the rx580 and 1060 coming within striking distance of a 1070 while using less power and cranking out the vega hardware advantages that are only currently realized in the vega APUs and intel's newer NUC which uses something similar to vega 12.

Calliers likes this.
  11. Calliers

Ok, then I'll just wait. @Judas

It'll be in about three months.

12. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

we should see releases of the ryzen + cpus in around april 19th.... which should quite possibily coincide with some midrange vega announcements and potential simultaneous mobile gpu and discrete vega midrange model releases... you can bet your ass nvidia has some gpus using volta that are waiting on the back burner already ready for launch and release en mass at a moments notice..... they are milking us all for as much as they can for each release.

Calliers likes this.
  13. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

If I were buying, and the only choice was to get a laptop, then I would look at buying a decent laptop (say an i5 or i7) that has a USB-C connection, 15.6" along with big monitor (or skip the monitor, and get a nice TV), and buy an external graphics box like the AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box. Or, buy an empty box like the PowerColor DEVIL BOX, and install a card of my choosing. For one, I move the graphics processing out of the laptop chassis so that the only heat it generates is from the processor. Secondly, I can still use the laptop out and about without it being a drain on the battery. Game at home, portable unit for everything else.

Calliers and Trusteft like this.
  14. Calliers

Thought about it and in the three months I'm waiting I can come to a decision, that should be more than enough time. Thanks for the options people. :)