Ok, looking to give games another chance, time for a new rig

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Calliers, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i still find cyber accoustics amazing for their price.... and it's surprising how many customers will come in looking for some insanely expensive headset and i show them the cyber accoustics and they curl their lip up and frown because it doesn't look very fancy at all, no rgb or whatever... but when they take it home it just works and sounds great and fits comfy.

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Plantronics GameCom 388

3. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

Had a look at the Cyber Acoustics headsets on Newegg and I think I'd rather get something with more caliber, not saying they ain't good, just that I want to spend more on something a little better.

I had a Plantronics headset in the past, it lasted about 9 months before dying on me.

Edit: yeah it was the Plantronics GameCom 380 which I had.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  4. Trusteft

I am not suggesting the 380 or any other model. Just the 388. Just to be clear.

5. Calliers

It's not for sale on Newegg anymore.

6. Calliers

So decided on getting this one, the Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Gaming Headset - Silver (HX-HSCL-SR/NA), off of Amazon:

[​IMG]

7. Trusteft

I hope it works for you. Enjoy.

Calliers likes this.
  8. Calliers

Thank you. :)

I just finished optimizing my RAM performance in BIOS, it's now running at the tested 3200Mhz where it was running at 2133Mhz before.

Benched the system and there doesn't seem to be any bottlenecks now. :D

Trusteft likes this.
  9. Calliers

Get this, this -entire- time my monitor has been set to 60Hz refresh rate. LOL! I was wondering why GTA V seemed strange despite me having set the refresh rate in the game settings to 144Hz. Now that I've OC'ed my monitor to 165Hz things should be good from here on out.

Although when I was on the phone with Judas a while ago he did state that most games, GTA V included, are not really well optimized. GTA V is one of those games that doesn't swing towards Nvidia or Radeon, usually those games have an AMD or Radeon splash screen in Radeons case and a Nvidia splash screen in the other.

Unless my monitor was switching automatically which I don't think it was once it came into Windows because the Nvidia control panel said things were at 60Hz. As for Battlefield V, I read so many places and watched a few Youtube vids that said you take a 50 fps hit when you enable Ray Tracing, but I've also enabled DLSS which is supposed to give the game a 40% boost at least so we'll see how she pans out. At lower resolutions the Geforce RTX 2080 doesn't perform as well as the RTX 2080Ti in any case, in fact the GTX 1080Ti performs similarly to the RTX 2080 out of the box without all the Ray Tracing and DLSS bells and whistles added. Although I'm not sure about DLSS on that one, you might have to have it on to have the RTX 2080 merely keep roughly at the same FPS as the GTX 1080Ti, and seeing as it was added in a patch I'm not sure if the video I saw was before or after DLSS was added.

10. Judas

all the recent in depth look at DLSS... is that it's complete trash and actually even nvidia doesn't suggest using it at anything but high resolutions on a rtx 2080/2080ti and even then, it's minimal. Most of the images of direct comparisons show dlss is just trashing the image quality.

it's better to leave RTX on in those titles that support it however.

11. Calliers

Well, I'll give DLSS a try in BF V at least, just to give it the benefit of the doubt.

12. Judas

last night dropped those amd specific g.skill flarex into my B350 based board from asrock which is on a year old bios yet. Booted straight away, xmp already enabled, dual channel functional... decided to push it to 3400mhz and it booted and passed a 9 hour memtest without a hitch. Been 1 hour in windows without issues.

Calliers likes this.
  13. Calliers

Nice. I'm still happy I ended up with the Patriot memory for its RGB factor.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  14. Calliers

This blue LED 200mm fan I got is boring, I'm getting a RGB 200mm LED fan to replace it. :D

Edit: wowowowowwowowow, just found out I don't even need a top exhaust fan for this case, everyone is saying it messes up the air pressure, order canceled.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  15. Calliers

So tried to install the Intel 660p 2TB m.2 SSD the other day and it wouldn't fit the slot (apparently the slot is keyed the opposite way for PCIe 2.0 X2 m.2 drives and SATA III drives according to my motherboard manual), was going off tested speeds and reviews in how fast it was before. So, I'll probably give it to a friend and get a SATA III m.2 drive to replace it, the Western Digital Blue m.2 SATA III 2TB SSD is going for just 300, probably go for that one.

16. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

That board has 2 slots though, right? One under the shroud (above the PCIE 16x slot) which should be Ultra M.2 Gen 3, and one at the bottom of the board which is M.2 Gen 2. The Intel drive should work on the one under the shroud.

In any event, don't give it away. You could always get an adapter card, and mount it in a PCIe slot. Or an external USB 3.1 box.

17. Calliers

Yeah maybe an external USB 3.1 box, use it as a removable drive. The slot under the heat shield is already taken by my Samsung 970 Pro NVMe m.2.

Ok, I need you guys to break this tie for me, I've boiled it down to two drives, the Western Digital Blue 2 TB SATA III SSD (m.2 or 2.5", I don't know if saving my m.2 slot would be smart, probably, I still have space for a 2.5" SSD in my case) and the Samsung 860 QVO 2TB SATA III SSD. The Samsung is QLC though but at the same time it is Samsung so I don't know which to go for. The m.2 and SATA III WD Blue 2TB SSDs are the exact same price on Newegg, and the Samsung is a few bucks over 400.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Judas

i'm sorry but i'm far too confident in samsung's SSD tech to pick it out almost exclusively with little consideration for price effectiveness of the other alternatives.

Bottom slot SHOULD functionally support m.2 pci-ex 4x m.2 drives but be performance limited to 2x @ v2.0 pci-ex speeds according to the website.... but otherwise run sata III only. I really despise the documentation.

19. Calliers

So 1 for the Samsung, 0 for the the WD so far. Actually 2 for the Samsung, 1 for the WD as @Tipstaff did mention before he preferred either or so there you have it. Anyone else want to cast their vote? The Samsung QVO is 2TB and is cheap for a Samsung SSD, and it is just as fast as the WD Blue even if it is QLC.

20. Calliers

Looks like this Intel 660p NVMe PCIe 3.0 2TB works fine in the bottom slot, I must have forgotten to flip the switch on my PSU when I put the PC cover back on, I thought it was strange that it didn't even power on. Well that saves me money. @Trusteft rejoice!

And like @Judas said, tested the speeds and although they are fast, they're not quite as fast as my Samsung is doing in the top slot. Well at least it's faster than a SATA III SSD. I'll take what I can get.