Ok, selling my PC, but wait...

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Calliers, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

It's not what you think, I realized I had made some mistakes which I'd like to rectify. So I'm selling the tower, and replacing everything afresh. Also selling the monitor. The guy who's buying it is more interested in the fact that it is a stable build and he is paying me nearly the full price I bought it for. Here is a list of things I'm changing, you can find a list of parts currently in my profile:-

- ASRock X470 Taichi AM4 AMD Promontory X470 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
    - HyperX Predator 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 RAM (Desktop Memory) CL16 XMP Black DIMM (288-Pin) HX432C16PB3K2/16
    - SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 1TB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe 1.3 64L V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7E1T0BW
    - BenQ XR Series EX3501R Gray 35" 4ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LED Monitor Curved
    - EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 BLACK EDITION GAMING, 08G-P4-2081-KR, 8GB GDDR6, Dual HDB Fans & RGB LED
    - CORSAIR RMx Series RM850x CP-9020180-NA 850W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Power Supply

The case I am keeping the same as before, and the same goes for the processor. Some parts will be less powerful but close to the ones they replace such as the Samsung Evo SSD, and the PSU is 80 PLUS GOLD certified as to PLATINUM, but that doesn't really matter. The main changes here are the motherboard is a lot better, the screen is 10 times better but cheaper than the one it replaces (it's also much bigger) and the video card is by a well known Nvidia card manufacturer (EVGA is like the Sapphire of Geforce).

Edit: I should mention the monitor is widescreen 4K, with HDR and a highish refresh rate (100Hz).

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I was wrong, it took you 2 months, not 3. I am sorry.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  3. Calliers

Lol, but look at what will be improving in the new one. I am really looking forward to the screen especially, although I definitely am not looking forward to going back to my laptop for the time being while I wait for the parts to come in. :D

I made an edit to the OP.

4. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I'd love to see you plan a wedding (it doesn't have to be your own). :D

I dig the ultra wide monitors for for productivity, for gaming I'm not so sure (could be great, I'm just not sure). Also, it's not a G-Sync monitor and AFAIK it's not one of the FreeSync monitors officially supported by Nvidia, although that shouldn't pose too much of a problem.

IDK, I wouldn't do it (except maybe the monitor change, because that seems like the only meaningful one), but maybe you just like building PCs. Nothing wrong with that. :)

Calliers likes this.
  5. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Man.. you are exactly like a customer of mine. Instead of selling what he wants to change, even 1 part, he buys an entirely new machine. Same with a buddy of mine. Xbox One X one week, PS4 Pro next. Sells everything to get it, then reverses it the next week.

Calliers likes this.
  6. Trusteft

Why are you going for a curved monitor? The only way I see them being a benefit in gaming is if you don't want to get an IPS panel monitor, but still want a large enough that you will place close enough to your eyes that looking at it will make the colors shift and the experience ruined.
    Obviously do what you want, just curious why a curved one.

7. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Supposedly it makes sense on an ultrawidescreen. I've got two monitors and I have the screens at a slight angle to each other so I'm somewhat buying it. Although his is not a "proper" ultra wide (i.e. 32:9), but a mere 21.5:9, it might still make sense. I guess that the idea is that, whatever part of the screen you're looking at, you'll be looking at it more or less perpendicularly and I prefer that, even on a good panel.

8. Calliers

I'm thinking of getting a RTX 2080Ti now, but I'd have to sell this one. Didn't even think of that concept. I think I should keep this PC and just sell the video card and get a RTX 2080Ti and sell my RTX 2080. But I'm not sure if this monitor is too small, it feels small now that I've had it for a while.

And @IvanV they have included support for that monitors Freesync for 10 series and 20 series Nvidia cards last I read.

No particular reason just that that monitor seems to be good value for money.

IvanV likes this.
  9. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Ever tried going from a standard 16:9 display back to a 4:3 display.... moving to a 21:9 display is much akin to moving from a 4:3 to 16:9.... the best metaphor i can provide is "feels like i can breath better". After playing on a 21:9 for about 2-3 weeks... going back to a 16:9 was very closterphobic and in a ton of games, you REALLY tend to miss the exceptional advantages of the wider field of view that fits properly within the viewport of the display, even in just the menus of games that can take advantage of it.

It's an entirely similar ballgame playing on a 32:9 display.. going from that back to 16:9 was like having one of your eyes gouged out. Moving from 32:9 to 21:9 felt just more crampped, much akin again to going from 21:9 to 16:9 or 16:9 to 4:3.

What bases outside of some arguably crappy curved displays does colour shift or a ruined experience even remotely become valid? I've seen no such issues outside of some people's skewed sitting and display positioning in which trying to draw a straight line on a curved display is a problem for them, basically a combination of a greater level of user error combined with the potential greater difficulty caused by it.

Frankly the experience with relatively larger widescreen displays, specially once you get much beyond 27".... it really does look great and feel appropriate unlike straight up flat displays.

10. Calliers

Ok, decided, I'm not selling this PC, have formed a "bond" with it and I wouldn't want to lose it. Not even going to sell my RTX 2080, will just add another whenever I get a 4K monitor when high refresh rate G-Sync panels become cheaper. What's better than one RTX 2080Ti? 2 RTX 2080s I say. :p

Trusteft likes this.
  11. Trusteft

That's not what I said. I never said curved monitors ruin anything or change anything to do with colors.
    Read what I typed.

12. Calliers

Hi Trusteft. It's me Calliers. :)

13. Trusteft

...?

14. Calliers

Just that you drove straight past me.

15. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony