Okay, buying a 4K monitor since prices have finally come out of the stratosphere

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Calliers, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

Ok, so need suggestions on what I should get for a 4K Monitor. I currently roll with a ASUS ROG Swift PG278QR Black 27" monitor and I haven't had any problems with it, just that I'd like to get a 4K one and enjoy 4K content asap as hey, it's Black Friday/Cyber Monday/Xmas/New Year sale season and I might as well hop on the magic carpet as it were and replace this monitor for my main one with a new 4K monitor.

Now, it is the season to treat yourself if you do not have a family, Lord and a few of you out there know I have other things to attend to money wise, but wait patiently and I will get to them in the new year. Promise.

Ok currently looking at this monitor, the Acer Predator XB1 Series XB281HK bmiprz 28" for $699.99 CAD on Amazon.ca (which is the cheapest G-Sync 4K monitor I could find, and yes it does have decent reviews):

[​IMG]

And this 4K TV, the Samsung UN43NU6900FXZC 43" 4K Ultra HD Smart TV for $367.99 CAD on Amazon.ca, now for me these are muddy waters as I don't know the first thing about getting TV screens for use as a monitor, apparently this model has low input lag but only a 60 fps refresh rate:

[​IMG]

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Do you have a powerful enough PC to handle 4K gaming?

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

with an rtx 2080... yes

I wouldn't touch that samsung...

Also when it comes to 4K displays right now... MOST of them are being liquidated in an effort to make room for fully compliant VRR models not to mention a push to 100 or 120hz models soon. Most new displays are announced the first of january, being shown off, Samsung among numerous other vendors will be, if rumours are true, numerous lineups of "g-sync compatible" (AKA freesync displays) with 60hz and higher and many are to try to tout HDR.. though i'm sure most will be sub 400nits, so it'll be garbage for the majority. Realistically if you want to experience HDR.. you really need to hit the 800+ before it's even worthwhile trying.

I ended up going with the BenQ 32" 4k display... it's not on black friday sale for numerous reasons.. but it's not bad at $500 on amazon.ca... it was either that or a 27" ultra wide 1440p display from samsung which was appealing. or a 28" 4k of the same modeling.

Samsung's 4k displays are pretty amazing, but i was rather shocked at how incredible the picture is on the BenQ and how perfectly freesync worked on it... the 28" that is, i sold that to a customer and he's blown away by it's clarity and colour accuracy. Even RT give it's a huge thumb up as long as you aren't expecting a damn thing from HDR ... because it's trash like most others in hdr department.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/benq/ew3270u

I often use rtings as a place to check out.... almost all their listings recommend the LG monitors.... but i've had NOTHING but problems with their displays almost all the time, if it's not immediate, and quite often it's not immediately, mere months down the road something rears it's head.. and when it came to freesync, they've ALWAYS shit the bed in some form, along with AOC monitors.

Acer/BenQ/Dell/Samsung are my go to displays... MSI/ASUS/LG/AOC are complete shit in the freesync department.

Using a tv as a monitor is perfectly fine, they are in fact glorified monitors these days more than they are actual "tvs".

Just don't spend anything less than $1000 on a 4k tv of the smallest variety, otherwise it's going to be garbage in comparison to any cheaper monitors. I mean shit, if it costs a roughly $400 on average for a 28" 4k monitor of fair quality, a 43" for less is going to be trash, let alone something in the sub $1000 range (talking CAD).

Right now the only displays worth getting are the Samsung Q8 series arguably i think, as they support VRR... and even 120hz @ 1440p or lower in the specific modelings. However due to nvidia's failure for overall freesync functionality over HDMI, they somehow managed to work with LG on their OLED 4k models for g-sync compatibility over hdmi using VRR... how the fuck that makes sense.... i don't know, but amd had VRR support natively first, and yet you can't seem to enable VRR on lg's oled with amd cards, yet nvidia can on the oled, but can't on the samsung... a supposed universal standard. Somethings afoot.

Trusteft and Calliers like this.
  4. Calliers

Thank you Judas, unfortunately while reading it I was going to reply and I am so tired I dozed off in my seat and just woke up again now.

I shall reply tomorrow on the course of action to be taken.

Yes specs in my profile.

5. Trusteft

Has Sony stopped making monitors?

6. Judas

Sony hasn't made a tv or monitor since basically 2015 i think... all the tvs sony sells are samsung panels slapped into a sony shell with partial samsung ICs mixed with sony's own ICs and gui. Sony's investment is in the playstation itself at this point.

7. Calliers

How about this TV, the Samsung 43" Q60R 4K Ultra HD QLED Smart TV, on Amazon for $648 CAD:

Edit: It's original price is like $850 CAD.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  8. Judas

Anything under 55" even in those models are 60hz display and suffer quite a bit from basically being cheaply designed... Edge lit... while the display looks pretty decent and input lag is fantastic... the 43 and 49inch models don't support freesync at all either.

You're dealing with truly entry level stuff that actually has a decent picture. If you were to get a larger model, you could feed 120hz AND have freesync. the larger models support 120hz @ 1080p and 1440p... then 60hz at 4k all of which will have functional freesync.

Calliers likes this.
  9. Calliers

I think I'll just go with the BenQ EW3270U 32" 4K HDR Monitor for $499.99 CAD over at Amazon.ca coz basically it is kind of like in the sweet spot both price and features wise. I can live with having a 4K screen that doesn't have all the bells and whistles, thanks a lot for helping @Judas.

Edit: But I will definitely wait till the 1st of January coz that's when all the newer monitors seem to hit Amazon.ca like you said. Could find something a hell of a lot better than what's already out.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  10. Calliers

Found an even cheaper and yet passable option, the Acer 32" ET322QK Abmiipx for only $369.00 CAD on Amazon.ca:

[​IMG]

11. Calliers

Ok @Judas I know you said that MSI monitors are bad, but can't this really be a deal? It's gotten good reviews and is only going for $514.99 on Memory Express, it may not be true 4K but it does have 100Hz on it, I know the HDR won't be a thing (not even sure if it has HDR, I think not) it has no HDR (although it wouldn't matter because I doubt it goes bright enough anyway), but that is why I'm waiting until the new year sales in January to see what will be offered then with the newer monitors, I found a site that shows some that are slated and a lot of them haven't come out yet, what do you think?

The MSI MAG341CQ 34" Ultrawide Curved monitor:

[​IMG]

12. Trusteft

I am willing to bet $5 that Calliers won't buy such a monitor for at least 6 months.

13. Calliers

[​IMG]

14. Judas

i'm not impressed...

15. Calliers

Don't worry Judas, I will get one, just waiting for January too see what new ones come out.