OS X driver 1.3b0 (BETA)

Discussion in 'MAC OS X Driver' started by Eugene Gavrilov, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Eugene Gavrilov

Eugene Gavrilov kX Project Lead Programmer and Coordinator

hi :)

1.3b0 (BETA) version is out.

Changes:

* Implemented Power Management support
    * Minor fixes found in 35xx releases of the Windows driver

Features:
    * 16-bit or 24-bit playback on most 10k1/10k2 cards (depending on card model)
    * supports up to 8 speakers (configure speaker configuration in OS X 'Audio and MIDI' panel)
    * should support SPDIF and headphones outputs, if applicable
    * supports external modules (LiveDrive)
    * supports hardware-accelerated volume control and mute, but not RemoteIR or onboard volume controls

Unimplemented:
    * SPDIF+AC-3 passthrough
    * 16/24-bit recording
    * kX DSP and routing, no custom DSP effects, unless you upload them by using kxctrl
    * SoundFonts and MIDI
    * hot-plug for PCMCIA device (Audigy2 ZS notebook) - surprise removal will probably cause a lock-up or kernel panic
    * any sampling rate except 48000Hz not supported, OS X uses built-in SRC, which is quite good

Known issues:
    * E-mu E-DSP cards are now supported the same way they are under Windows version of the kX driver. In order to upload FPGA firmware after reboot, open Terminal and type 'edspctrl'. It should initialize FPGA firmware and any dock stations you have. Note that if you reboot after Windows, and you were running Creative drivers, you need to reset FPGA firmware. Type 'edspctrl -reset'. Use this command 'edspctrl -reset' if you don't hear anything after reboot or power-on.
    * 'kxctrl' does not support SoundFonts
    * 'kX Manager' application currently does nothing. Ignore it :)

Download link:

kXAudioDriver-1.3b0.dmg

Please post your bug reports here.

If you get Kernel Panics or system locks up, do the following:

* Reboot OS X
    * At darwin boot prompt [before the 'gray apple' logo] add the following commands:
    -v -debug=0x144
    * This will enable verbose start-up and will display more information during kernel panic

After you get a new kernel panic [make sure to start your OS X with the options mentioned above], write down the following information:
    * EIP address of the error (EIP: 0xXXXXXXXX)
    * Address of the kX driver: "com.kXProject.driver.kXAudioDriver(1.2b1)@0xAAAAAAAA->0xBBBBBBBB"
    * Backtrace (CPU 0) Frame. This is show in the following way:
    0xCCCCCCC : 0xDDDDDDDD (0xEEEEE 0xFFFF ....)
    until "Backtrace terminated"
    and "BSD process name corresponding to current thread"

Don't send me any screenshots of your display, unless your image is perfectly readable! :)
    ===

Thanks to CEntrance, Inc., the company I'm currently working for, it is possible to support the project and to donate by using any VISA or MasterCard card. Just follow this link and 'add to cart' kX Driver Donation item. You will be able to choose the amount of money you wish to donate and proceed to check-out.

Russian users may also wish to donate by using WebMoney or Yandex.Money systems. Detailed information is found here.

And I would like to thank people who have already donated to the project! (I have received $157 in total since the first OS X release last year).

E.

2. Oxtie

Oxtie Active Member

:) so glad to see an update... after how long? :drool:

edit: minor changes to 35xx? ahm ahm...
    edit2: ok, i did announce this thread to IMF (insanely mac forums) still no responses, could it be that they've simply given up? on checking for an update?

or maybe, they want to cheer around when mic gets activated? or maybe slowly after some days as they check for updates they will be surprised (a fair guess at the moment?)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  3. Eugene Gavrilov

Îòâåò: OS X driver 1.3b0 (BETA)

mic/recording: I'm going to work on it this august.. if everything goes fine, of course :)
    and two guys are also working on AC97 mixer and E-DSP Control applications
    anyone willing to work on kX DSP under OS X? :)

E.

4. Oxtie

Oxtie Active Member

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  5. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

activated? lol :D
    Is E. a cyborg? hehe

6. Oxtie

Oxtie Active Member

Although there are many words that look and sound like tech related but most of them existed long before. These are just words, for eg calling someone "active" means, he'z/she'z always around doing something while "E" just became active after long "hibernation" (another classic word we use in tech world, ever heard "frogs hibernate for long time under ground" etc?)

Anyways :D he added new power management support in his system (so hehe, hibernation, stand-by, activation can also relate to him being a super cool cyborg that way) lol

Edit: earlier there was like no activity from E at all... so :D
    no activity -> activity -> activated -> active?

7. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Hehe, I know what you meant... It just sounded funny (activated usually applies that it was done by someone else, and I generally only hear it used with sports figures or a soldier or something, etc), so I made a joke.

8. Oxtie

Oxtie Active Member

i know you understood already, i just loooooov typing at times :D

btw, forgot to say RUSS!!! :D

9. VooD

VooD New Member

Any chance of compiling the driver for x86_64? I'm currently making some tests with latest Snow Leopard, and I don't know why, but the kernel crashes in i386 mode, so all my kexts have to be 64 bit based.

Thanks for your great work Eugene.

10. Eugene Gavrilov

x64: no way till I get the OS
    I will probably try it closer to Snow Leopard release date

E.

11. VooD

VooD New Member

Re: Îòâåò: OS X driver 1.3b0 (BETA)

Ok, thanks for the quick answer, anyway I managed to run Snow Leo in 32 bit mode and finally the driver is working there.

But I don't know why (probably is due to the problems with the kext cache in Snow Leo and current bootloaders) I can't put kXAudioDriver.kext in \S\L\E or the boot process will halt. Lucky for me, once the system has booted I can manually load the kext and get sound working without problems :)

Regards

12. pista7

pista7 New Member

Hi,

as for the 64-bit driver, I'd just like to point out, that according to this post, the kernel is probably already finalized - maybe a good time to start checking it out? :)

Oh, and thanks a lot for the new driver, will try it tonight (and hopefully will be able to get rid of the SleepWatcher script to reload the kext on wakeup :D)

13. themax

themax New Member

Thanks for the new release, good job as usual.

Waiting for line input and dreaming for DSP :D

14. pitashen

pitashen New Member

thank you so much for making updates of this driver! I really wish i could help except i am not proficient in programing.

15. djsubject

djsubject New Member

Just wanted to add to the thanks :)

i'm not waiting for anything but i do dream of input & the dsp app, Mmmmmmm

for those of us only with paypal how can we donate? i hope to have money coming in this month & would like to buy 3 kX Driver donation's :D

:)

16. bionikl

bionikl New Member

thanks as always for working under mac os x :w00t: ....i´ll try your driver asap...hope u can find time to implement recording and dsp as well because win drivers are incredible

17. Oxtie

Oxtie Active Member

This may be an odd thing to say here, but when I tried voodooHDA driver for my laptop, its mic's highest volume could not detect my voice (if i stayed little far, 10cm or something :D ). The same issue stayed with Windows as well but, upon clicking that "Microphone +20dB boost" checkbox in Windows Volume (play control), it got fixed.

If such button or such boost exist in upcoming kx, would be great :drool: . On the second thought, its more likely to fix by just adding 125% volume levels... (can't say how the results will be hehe)

18. kX native

kX native New Member

SB0229 as it is, not generic ...

PS: missing kXmixer from windows :)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  19. finrold

finrold New Member

Thank you for your effort developing this driver, it works great with my 10k1/10k2 soundcards. I only miss 16/24bit recording. Keep your good work.

20. Pellucid

Pellucid New Member

hi Folks,

Im using emu 1820, yesterday all works fine in logic after clean install, today I cant play with synths anymore, sound is glitchy and cpu usage is very high, but i can see movies. Reset and restart doesnt help me

Reinstall driver, same glitches

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009