Out of curiosity

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

2. drwho

drwho Active Member

As far as I know they aren't. AMD's 3950x isn't coming out till sometime in September. Maybe this is a preorder possibility..

Trusteft likes this.
  3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

The PC is ready for shipping.
    Cinebench R20 of over 11000 is certainly interesting.

4. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

It's the last gen 2990WX. It's a great CPU, although Windows used to have some issues with it so performance in the most highly threaded tasks wasn't where it should be (totally Windows's fault, everything was completely fine under Linux, it has possibly been fixed by now).

That PC is seriously overpriced. The CPU is expensive, but all together the hardware shouldn't be 3000€. Some of the specs are positively pedestrian (32GB RAM for a 32 core machine, a mere 512GB SSD - that's a $90 part on Amazon...).

Calliers and Trusteft like this.
  5. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

@IvanV @Trusteft Yeah I got mine built for under 3000 Euros, (around 4000 CAD, which is 2689 Euros) and I got all the same parts except a Ryzen 7, and the RAM, I have 16GB, but I was able to get a Samsung 1TB SSD drive with it mind, and that was like almost 5-6 months ago.

Just save yourself some money and build it yourself, or have someone else, a friend if possible (for free if you can).

Here at my favourite local PC shop I frequent if I don't go online which is rarely but when I need something I go to them for their prices which are almost as good as online (just their selection is a bit limited) will allow you to pick your parts and then they will build it for you and service it, for a fee. The catch is that you are saddled with their warranty whether you like it or not, and can not work on it yourself ever.

You should also remember that the 4000 CAD included a screen, speakers, keyboard, mouse, headphones, the whole shebang. Usually there is a hidden cost of these things not coming with the tower and you having to buy them on top of the already ridiculous price. And even if they do it greatly limits your choices as to what kind of screen you want or mouse or keyboard or whatever as the options are slim to none.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    Trusteft likes this.
  6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

It's a threadripper system as IvanV stated.. 32 core 64 thread has been around since last year.. again as IvanV said.

There are some serious caveats when using a 24 or 32 core threadripper of the 2000 series, due to their memory controller implementation, there is, in my opinion, far too often cases in which the 24 and 32 core threadrippers negatively scale, and much of that still has to do with windows too, but even on linux, there are some tasks that don't scale well, not because of the core count alone, just because quad channel being forced through only 2 of the 4 chips, means a hell of a lot of hopping around for those other 8-16 cores to be able to access that critical information to do the work.

This is why Epyc 2 (server) and Threadripper 3000 (3000 series launching this fall likely) are very exciting, they've eliminated the multiple numa/uma modes and moved all channel counts directly to a central I/O chiplet, then more efficiently made the individual 8 core chiplets that basically are on what could be maybe stated as a ring bus around the i/o die. The results of which is massively improved parallelism, no hiccups and well, basically a 12 or 16 core AM4 dual channel cpu being able to run circles around the 2920x and 2950x because of that improvement (2920x is 12 core threadripper and 2950x is 16 core threadripper that don't even suffer that much from a memory issue necessarily). Suffice it to say, there are a number of "recent" threadripper builders that have a little of buyers regrets.

Building a threadripper system is rather quite cheap and frankly quite easy. Snag yourself 4x DDR4 3200mhz-3733mhz modules of at least cas latency 16 ( 15 or 14 would be arguably better but get quite a bump in price which i personally cannot justify), then likely a decent say Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 to 1tb or greater drive if you have cash to blow you could invest in the up and coming 980 pro series capable of completely smashing SSD records (6000-7000MB/s read/writes potentially). Next upon arrival, snag a the either X590 or X599 Threadripper board from your choice of manufacturer, be it asus, asrock, gigabyte or even msi, then the expected 16-64 core thread ripper, yes 64 core is coming to consumers, actually there is rumor of 128 core possibly via a dual socket consumer board, but that's if you want to pay an obvious premium.

Trusteft likes this.