over clock checkup

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by MGaz, Aug 24, 2011.

1. MGaz

MGaz All wheel driver!

just thought i'd consult you guys on my system as it is at the moment. Just want to be sure i'm not doing any damage to my PC even tho everything seems fine atm.

Basically I'm running my Intel Core i5-750 @ 3.0Ghz with a fsb of 200mhz and a reduced multiplier of x15. I've turned off all the auto step speed [email protected] and its now running smooth compared to how it was standard, all jerky frame rates etc.

all i wanted to know was should this be safe running it like this?

Also, i was wondering if i could increase the fsb even higher and lower the multiply some more to keep it at 3.0Ghz.

opinions/advice/thoughts welcomed. thanks. :)

2. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

I would call that a safe area. It is more about your temps and stability/stress testing than anything. As long as your temps are good at full load I give it the green light. You could increase the FSB higher and lower the multiplier if you would like as long as your RAM can handle the frequency increase without too much change in voltage.

3. MGaz

MGaz All wheel driver!

if i was going to increase the base clock and lower the multiplier so that it stayed at standard 2.6ghz . would i see performance improvements? And exactly how high can i safely increase the base clock? Is the only limiting factor basically the memory? bacause i can lower the multiplier on that as well.

4. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

performance increase when increasing the base clock and lowering the multiplier.. no, no that you'd notice. The resulting clock would still be 2.6Ghz after all.

How high is safe, nobody can tell you. Each and every cpu is unique and has a different treshold. What you have to keep an eye on is the temperature. If it gets too high, it will damage the intricate elements.

Looking at your specs, I wouldn't keep your memory timings on auto, especially when overclocking. You can get better results if you set them manually.

5. MGaz

MGaz All wheel driver!

At the moment my CPU temp is 30"deg C at idle while just running the desktop. I've no idea what they are under load.

And I'm not really sure what i'm doing with the memory settings tbh. I've tried running them at there rated 1600Mhz by setting the base clock to 160mhz but I get problems like freezing when windows loads up. :(

The highest I can go is about 1500mhz clock on the memory but even that has problems under load. What am i doing wrong? why won't it run at its correct speed?

6. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

you have to set timings as well.
    Maybe they are too tight at the rated 1600mhz. Have you checked what timings are on the specs?

What I have noticed that at such high speeds, memory is quite picky about other hardware. Some setups it likes, others it doesn't. Not quite sure how it works again with FSB, memory etc.. Been running a laptop for too long..

7. procupine14

Yeah, I'm willing to bet that your motherboard is running really tight auto timings on a lower frequency.

I am actually currently doing that because my memory won't clock up to where it should be and retain stability. I will probably have to swap out this kit for another.

Ultimately, 2.6 Ghz is still 2.6 Ghz so there won't be any noticable improvements either way IMO.

8. MGaz

MGaz All wheel driver!

a quick look in the memory settings, & there is a lot of settings i don't understand. I was hoping there would be just the basic setting options for me to match with what's written on the side of the modules.

if i posted up a photo of the setting page would anybody be able to tell me what to set the various options to?

9. procupine14

Yeah I can give you some guidance. You don't necessarily have to set all of those setttings (at least I don't). You just have to set the timing stuff that is listed. While some companies will give you the entire chain of numbers(OCZ did when I asked) most won't so you just go with what you have.