Overclock DDr2 Issues

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Jac, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I am trying to squeeze a little extra life outta my old Core2Duo in anticipation of Crysis. I know my CPU will run at 3.2ghz with no problems. I used to run at that speed when I only had 2GB (2x1gb)memory onboard and it was rock solid.

Core2Duo e6300 1.86 @ 3.2ghz
    G.Skill 2GB (2x1GB)
    Geil 1GB (2x512mb)

A couple oy years ago I bought an extra 1GB (2x512) and when I plugged them in I found that I couldn't run the memory at anything other than stock - this meant I had to take down the CPU to 2.8ghz. I figured the new memory wasn't able to OC.

However, tinkering today I removed a pair of modules and bumped up the speed back to 3.2ghz. Again no problem - my intention was to buy another pair of 1GB sticks of the same kind as my originals thinking I could run them all at at least 3.2ghz. I noticed however that I had removed the 2gb by mistake.

So it seems either pair will run at 3.2ghz just fine they just won't run at that speed together. Anyone have an explanation why?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Not an OC pro by any means, but I've read some systems won't OC reliably, if at all, with 4 sticks. So, that's probably what you are running into.

3. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Have you experimented with setting the RAM to lower speeds/multipliers, so that it doesn't exceed stock speeds when you start increasing the FSB?

(I realise that this question doesn't answer your question, but it is useful in working out what is causing the phenomenom you describe.)

4. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I've tried swapping the memory around in the slots (2 pairs of dual channel slots). I've tried loosening the timimgs from 4-4-4-12 to 5-5-5-18. Any of these configurations makes Windows BSOD on start-up.

I tried increasing the DDR voltage by +0.1 which made the system fail to POST.

I think that the fact that the two pairs of memory are different is what is causing the problem. I could try and find a pair of G.Skill 1GB DDR2 800s on eBay or I could buy a pair of 2GBs. If I can do that for £10-£20 (taking into account resale of my old memory) then it would be worth it, otherwise I may as well wait till I can upgrade the core of the system.

edit. the multipliers are already at 2x which is the lowest the MoBo will allow. On a FSB of 400 - 430. When the FSB is running at 400 they are running stock with the CPU at 2.8ghz.

5. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

So how would that motherboard cope with, say, an e6750 (1333mhz FSB) and DDR2-533 (a ratio of 2.5x) D:

To be honest, I don't think that it's unreasonable for memory not to have much overclocking room.

I'm not sure that buying DDR2 is worth it at this point, however. My Corsair DDR2 kit would cost twice as much today as it did nearly 3 years ago when I bought it. I don't think it's worth investing to get a few hundred MHZ out of an obselete system, especially when what you're buying (DDR2 memory) probably won't work in your next build.

6. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Yeah, if I could get hold of 4gbs worth relatively cheap, going from 2.8 to 3.2 or even higher might be worth a small outlay but looks like it would be more trouble than it's worth so I'll just stick at this speed till I can upgrade the core of my system.

7. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

Sounds like an excuse for an upgrade :)

The speeds of the two ram kits might be rated differently and therefore the headroom will differ

8. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

populating any motherboard with all slits filled you'll never get as good of a result as with only half of them..

Command rate is one of the first things that generally go... if not top frequency/timings in the other areas.

But definitely overclocking stability is also one of the first things to go out the window too.

I'd say run Memtest86+ for a good 24 hours or more and make sure the memory is faultless at stock..

But i would suggest getting a 2x2gb kit and yanking the current stuff out completely and selling it

9. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Another quick question re overclocking.

I managed to get hold of a Q6600 at a low price to prolong the life of my old old system. I'm happy with it, gives a nice boost to Crysis 2 - returning to me the performance I had with my dual core pre the 1.9 patch ;D

I have overclocked the chip to 3GHZ which is what I had my previous dual core running at. The dual core only had an x6-x7 multiplier. The quad has up to x9. Strange thing is I can run the chip at 3GHZ with an x9 multiplier but it will fail to boot at any other multiplier. This is not a massive problem but it means that my FSB is now at 333 and not 430+ like it was with the dual core.

Anyone know why this is?