Overclocking an E8200 CPU

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by AshutoshM, Aug 9, 2011.

1. AshutoshM

AshutoshM Woody Heavens

I tried overclocking my E8200 (2.66Ghz stock) on Asus p5g41t-m LX mobo and reached about 3.2Ghz with stability. But, that was on the expense of very high PCI-express frequency. I left it on auto in the BIOS setup. Default fsb (stock) is 333. After overclocking to 3.2Ghz, I checked the PCI-e frequency using some sort of software on Windows and using some formulas available on net. i came out to approx 132 which is very high and dangerous for SATA hard drives. So, my question is that how can I overclock my CPU to that level without increasing my PCI-e frequency i.e. I want to set PCI-e frequency to 100 manually. Are there any ways like increasing south bridge voltage or other voltages that would help in overclocking my CPU as when I set PCI-e frequency to 100 manually, it does not allows me to go more 343 fsb. On setting to a higher than this doesn't lets me boot.
    Thank you for any help.

2. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

don't know that particular motherboard, but it sounds as if there is some setting linking the pci freq. to the cpu freq.
    When I overclocked my E6600 this link was not there. Maybe check your options to see if there is something you missed?

Increasing voltage to the northbride does usually have as an effect to stabilize the overclock, where just core voltage wouldn't be sufficient. Don't go too high though.

3. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Depends upon the mobo - on mine the PCI is set at AUTO by default but you can manually change it to 100 in the BIOS.

4. AshutoshM

AshutoshM Woody Heavens

Yes, I can set the fsb manually to 100 but that will not allow me to go over 2.7Ghz. And if you set it to Auto then you are on the risk of going too high on PCI-e frequency as Auto doesn't specifies an exact value. It will be set automatically by the system depending on the extent of overclocking you do. I want this PCI-e frequency to be independent of my CPU frequency.

5. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Again depends upon the mobo. My PCIe frequency is not linked to the FSB so I can set it to 100 independent off the system bus. My FSB is currently running at around 333 and the PCIe speed is stock at 100 (anything else and the GFX card won't resume from sleep).

Not all motherboards are created equal. I'm not familiar with your board so don't know what options you have.

6. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

an option would be to try set pci at 100, get cpu as high as possible and up the northbridge to see if that gives you any leeway. otherwise.. 2.7 it is. Not all cpu's and/or mobo's like being overclocked.

7. AshutoshM

AshutoshM Woody Heavens

Yes, I agree that my mobo is not built for overclocking. But, what if you set PCI-e frequency manually to 100 in the BIOS and then overclock your CPU using any software in Windows? Would that work? Also, default vore voltage is 1.045 now. Upto what value should I increase it so that it works safely. Also, is core voltage a very influencing factor in overclocking.