P2P

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by FuNsTeR, Jun 12, 2010.

1. FuNsTeR

FuNsTeR Caledonian and Proud

or direct downloads are demonised ... but i would say i am buying more Dvds/Bluray dvds than ever thanks to p2p or as i call it try before you buy.... yet under current laws i am in the wrong ... i use it as a tool to filter out the *rap from the good .... music wise i am downloading nothing as nothing is really taking my interest and the bulk of my software is paid for or freeware

2. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

there have been much lauded (and incidentally well respected) studies that have shown that regular 'illegal' file sharers, on average, spend twice as much on media as their holier-than-thou counterparts :)

like i've always said, you wouldn't buy a car without test driving the thing first, why in the hell should you buy an album / movie / game without having a wee shot first, make sure its worth the damn money? :confused:

3. FuNsTeR

correct Richy .. i have lost count the amount of albums i have bought over the years to find out their is only 1 or 2 decent songs and the rest are rubbish ... the same can be said about vhs and dvds that i have bought on hype ... to find out the film was a howler :mad:

i have already 3 new blu rays on pre order

4. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

Wellcome back FuNsTeR, long time no see.

I've found myself buying more and more music from iTunes, because I see it as resonably priced, I can grab just a song off an album or a couple and use it on my pc or phone.

As a kid, I'd save up a months pocket money, then buy an album, many a time it was crap and I'd wasted my money.

Perhaps 24hour licences on albums before purchase would be a good idea.... wait that'd be a good idea for the consumer, not for the record companies as people wouldn't buy the rubbish albums after listening to them.

5. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I use P2P all the time and will only get the bluray for movies that I am really interested in for the extra quality and extras. However even the BDs I get I sell on as soon as I have watched them. There is no point in owning a BD in my view.

I would be open to the idea of paying for high quality downloads for a reasonable price. I'm talking about near BD quality files for say £2 or £3. If they could get these files down to say 10gb. A service like this could also offer the movies in various resolutions to suit the users - if a subscriber had a very fast connection and a higher than HD resolution they could download a version for their system.

6. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

For me the big P2P thing is movies and I have the money and am willing to rent or buy DVD/Blu-rays (especially BD's as they contain lossless audio and superior video quality) but I can't stand the weeks or months it takes between P2P and retail releases. Some foreign films and tv series on BD take years before they are released in my region when you could download that anytime.

I've only bought one Blu-ray so far and that was immediately after I got my Ps3 (Kingdom of Heaven) but I really want to buy Bruce Springsteen's Blu-ray when it comes out next week. The question is will it be released online first? Can I wait? Damned if I know.

7. FuNsTeR

Cheers Craig ... i have been viewing the board now and again ... and i thought it was time to contribute or try to contribute :rolleyes: to the forums again ... the last album i bought was a couple of months back Danger Danger - Revolve and you are right record companies believe it is their right to rip off the music buying customers by charging full whack for 3rd rate music