P4 overclocking

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Billy, May 17, 2002.

1. Billy

Billy Guest

ive been hearing these overclock really high, has anyone seen any good webpages with seriously fast overclocking on a P4? what speeds, over 3 gig? id love to see some, thanks in advance

2. DarkAngel

DarkAngel New Member

Billy~

The P4 overclocks VERY nicely if you have the 'Northwood' chip (socket 478 / 512k cache (not the 256k cache)). A favorite for Overclockers is the 1.6Ghz "A" chip that is known to be able to reach 2ghz-2.4ghz air-cooled (2-2.2ghz on the stock Intel cooler). I've heard of the 3ghz (2.8ghz) mark being reached, but only with a water-cooled rig can this be done.

for some info on which boards to go with and cpu check out:
    http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/mainboards/shootouts/p616aboards/index.html
    http://www.vr-zone.com/reviews/Intel/533P4/
    http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1605&p=1
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q1/020117/index.html
    (sorry about that Tom link if you dont like him, I'm not a fan myself but he did break the 3ghz mark)

3. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

actually I saw one getting to around 3.7ghz with liquid nitrogen on some foreign hardcore overclocking site, ill have to try and get the link again unless someone else has it ;)

4. DarkAngel

DarkAngel New Member

3.7GHz

Zardon -

Yea I saw a few 3.7 - 3.8GHz O/Cs of the Northwood CPU too. But then again I think that they set up their box, boot at 3.7GHz just long enough to snap a screenshot or pic...or they bust out some PhotoShop Skills and edit WinCPU ID. (If you'd like I'd be happy to show you my 5ghz p3 ;) )

Bravo with the Forums BTW.

5. Forge

Forge New Member

2.5-2.7 is perfectly possile with good aircooling and a decent Northwood. I have two 1.8A's here that both do 2.4+. The one I'm testing right now is at 2.734 stable for four days, and I'll begin testing the other one tomorrow. Both post and run benchmarks at 2.4, though one needed it's voltage bumped from 1.5V to 1.55V to keep stable.

Unfortunately, the P4 just plain isn't efficient, so at 2.4G I'm only beating my 1.6G Athlon XP by a small margin. Fully wound up at 2.7, though, it manages to pass a friend's 1.8GHz Athlon XP by a decent (though not huge) margin.

6. DarkAngel

DarkAngel New Member

Re:

I agree with you Forge, that kind of O/C is def. possible with air cooling and the right setup. I would recommend an MSI board with some fast DDR (XMS3000 is very nice), and a P4 Northwood of your choice. I'm working on a system based on the 1.6A and an MSI board and hopefully get it up to 2-2.2GHz soon. Its not for me though (mine would be water-cooled for sure :D), the person that is getting the system is going from a Pentium 166MHz to a 2+Ghz Pentium 4 (not a bad upgrade if you ask me)!

7. vtjvt

vtjvt New Member

8. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Re:

Sheesh...I wonder if they'll notice it??? :p

9. Silentst2000

Silentst2000 Can I be cool?

I had 2.6ghz with my retail cooler and as3 with my 1.6A....kinda pointless as my memory wouldn't run 3:4 at that fsb....memory bandwidth is key with the p4.

so I run 2.4ghz at 1.5 volts with retail cooler.

Lets see an athlon get a 50% o/c with a retail cooler...much less 20% :p

10. Necrosis

Re:

Which Athlon??

Tbird, XP, or Thoroughbred???

We shall see...

11. AxE

AxE New Member

1.6a gets to about 2.4 but don't expect much more. You wont even notice a difference between 1.6 or 2.0ghz anways without the use of a benchmarking program and you know it. :cool:

12. Silentst2000

Re:

athlon classic. :rolleyes:

13. DallasStar

DallasStar Junior

I've seen a page with a P4 overclocked to 4ghz with only watercooling (no liquid nitrogen or anything).

14. Forge

Forge New Member

dallasstar - URL? I personally find that quite hard to believe.

AxE - You are absolutely right. Of course, the same thing is true of your 1700+@1900+. I guess we better all go home and set back to stock, since benchmarks are the only way we'll see that speed.

... That *is* what you meant, with that threadcrap, right? I'd hate to think you came in and said something inflammatory simply to rile people up... You're not trolling, are you?

15. Necrosis

Re:

Athlon Classic would be the Slot A Processors. No I don't know of many people overclocking those very high.

16. Necrosis

Re:

I don't think he's trolling, and it's an honest statement. You can simply overclock the P4's higher for two reasons. 1. the die size (duh). 2. They simply don't do as much on each clock cycle, to put it in Layman's terms. I imagine for that very same reason the new Athlon's coming out on June 10 won't overclock as high either. I'd rather be a few hertz slower and have hardware fpu anyway.

BTW, I am thinking about getting a P4 rig just to see what the fuss is all about.

17. Forge

Forge New Member

Well, that doesn't really change my response.

Nobody has hit 4GHz with a P4 without extreme cooling, not even Intel. Intel demo'ed a 3.5G at IDF, but they were using vapor phase change, quite a ways off from just H2O. Muropaketti.com hit something in the mid to high 3.* range, but they were using LN2, and custom clockgens, IIRC.

3GHz is quite acheivable with the right chip or heavy cooling. 4G isn't reachable by anything but the best chips, with insane cooling.

Gimme an URL to a plain H20 4G P4 and I'm all apologies, though.

18. WyreTheWolf

WyreTheWolf Wolfish Bastard

Re:

I have done that! Rith a Athlon Thunderbird SlotA. 700MHz - 1.1GHz! didn't run very cool ... but it did run.

19. Silentst2000

Re:

I know...notice the :rolleyes: ?

Why would I care how well a 2 year old proc o/c's?

Why wouldn't I be talking about amd's newest? THe xp? :uhoh:

20. Silentst2000

Re:

That's not athlon classic. :p