Parhelia issues

Discussion in 'General Graphics Cards Discussion' started by alewisa, Nov 21, 2002.

1. alewisa

alewisa New Member

Having problems getting a Parhelia to work with An Abit KT7-RAID mobo. Install the card, all I get are 1 long beep followed by two short beeps. No POST, black screen.

Card works fine in a gigabyte board with Duron CPU.

System
    Abit KT7-RAID
    Athlon 1gh
    384MB RAM
    400W PSU

All other cards and drives removed. system works fine with other AGP or PCI cards (and has done for 2 years)

Any ideas?

Abit are no help, Matrox advise enabling PnP OS, USB and Assign IRQ in BIOS... all already done.

2. gibbon565

gibbon565 Bouncy BOUNCY!

3. alewisa

alewisa New Member

Thanks Andy... am allegedly using the latest BIOS, but will double check. Glad to see am not only one with a problem!

[/quote]

Already there... Louie just told me to change some BIOS settings. Only one I haven't tried is increasing AGP aperture to 256mb. Will try both tonight.

4. gibbon565

gibbon565 Bouncy BOUNCY!

nice One :p Well let me know how it goes and to be honest I doubt the AGP aperture size is going to help ..hehe but it's worth a try :) Oh and as for what you set it to. Well it is best to set it to the same as the memory on the card itself, so if the Parhelia is a 128 ver. then leave it at 128 for best performance from the card.

A good Program to get if you dont have it is Sisoftware Sandra as this will detect any problems and it will also let you know the varios bios and driver versions :cool:

Good Luck!

5. alewisa

alewisa New Member

Still no joy. Even with the latest BIOS, nothing. Matrox are at least seeing if they can obtain a KT7 RAID board to test in their labs. It seems Parhelia is having issues with some boards, the matrox support forum is full of issues with Parhelia's on Abit boards. Very few problems on other boards.

Use it all the time, namely just to perf test tweaks to BIOS settings, etc. Not much good for this problem though. Latest version is quite sexy, but am thinking of reverting back to 2002pro, as 2003Pro causes some problems under certain configurations.

Brgds
    Alan

6. gibbon565

gibbon565 Bouncy BOUNCY!

I'll keep my eye's open and my ears receptive for a fix to your problem :) To be honest I got a bit of a shock when I didn't get a boot screen but supposedly some motherboards, namely of the Abit variety have a problem with the dual monitor inputs of the Matrox cards :( I hope this can be fixed through the software or atleast Matrox may beable to make Abit aware of the problem, if it is a bios issue and they might update the bios.

Andy

7. alewisa

alewisa New Member

Shocked wasn't what I was. I'm sure I had a G400Max in that particular PC when it was first built, and the G-Force came later. Have a bit of time on my hands tonight, so I'm going to try a G400Max that's spare, and see if there is a problem there - that would raise the chances that it is dual monitor cards. Works fine with an old Millenium card. (and the picture quality is still superior to the G-Force, oddly enough).

Bugger bugger bugger. Oh well, if Global Crossing makes Q4 results, I get a 15% bonus next year. Sort out the car, then put together a kick-ass system (kick ass for about all of 3 weeks, anyway!)

But I really do want to get this system working!

8. gibbon565

gibbon565 Bouncy BOUNCY!

Good luck m8, I hope you find a fix as the Parhelia is a nice card apart from the banding issues :duh:

9. alewisa

alewisa New Member

Reading something about this on the matrox forum... have you suffered from it, as I haven't. What appears to be the issue?

I'm wondering if the new 256mb version will also feature an improved core, addressing the issues with the current core, or wether they will leave as is to avoid potential large numbers of returnd cards.

10. gibbon565

gibbon565 Bouncy BOUNCY!

Try a game like Soldier of Fortune 2 and make sure FAA 16 x is on and you will see a lot of black line or the outlines of objects and polygons etc :rolleyes: If you are not suffering from it then count yourself lucky :D

11. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

Even easier to spot is to run UT in a window which overlaps a white window, like an IRC channel for example.

Keep a close eye on the white window whilst playing UT and watch the horizontal disburances :(

Don't watch for too long as it gave me a headache!

12. Dane Sabbath

Dane Sabbath ***** Viking

Matrox isn't the only one with a number of problems w/ Abit boards. I dunno why, and I happen to LIKE Abit quite a lot (no problems for me, ever). Abit boards were among the last to pound out probs w/ the 9700 too. Strange.
    I wonder what they are doing different? I know MSI has a tendency to max some settings, i.e. their P4 boards run @ 100.95 FSB or @ 133.95 FSB and AGP rates are a little hign too. Perhaps UNDERclocking some values may help you identify a problem. Good luck.

PS Hey alewisa. You really still have your Amiga 4k? Is it still working? I had a 500 for YEARS, best damn machine ever. (lol) Kick a 520ST or 1040ST for me will ya? Still have competitive feelings...

13. alewisa

alewisa New Member

Yup, still have the A4K matey. Just added a scandoubler to the Cybervision card so I can use it again (no longer have a 15.625Khz monitor). Also have a vanila A1200, an 1200/060 tower, and a heavily customised B2000 based on a G-Force030 and a host of other cards and mods. Atari? Spit!

14. alewisa

alewisa New Member

Having been away a while, maybe I ouhgt to post the conclusion.

Turns out that the Parhelia is incompatible (or should that read 'was' as they are both a bit old now!) with the KT7. Matrox Tech Support tested a P: in the board.. naja. So I had to RMA hte [perfectly fine] Parhelia, and had a new [refurbished] P: sent back. Ta-da! It worked. Can't remember the details, but there was a wire or two soldered on, that wasn't on the other P: (yes, I had two P:s at the time).

A year later, bought a P4P800 and erm, another Abit Athlon board (whatver the 'hot' Abit Athlon XP board was at the time). The stock P: was fine, the modded P: was required for the Abit. ISTR I promised someone (here or Matrox) I'd test the modded board in something, but I don't recall doing so.

Oddly enough, in Sep 2004 I bought a DK8N and a pair of Opteron 250's... Stuck the P: in... didn't work! Ah-ha, I have a modded P: :) Naja. Nothing. Zilch! No!!! I had just bought a 3rd P: tho, off ebay, one of the 8x models. Success! Turns out the DK8N had a flaw that non-8x cards would not work in the board, unless the board's AGP slot was set to 4x. Which was 'difficult' if you didn't have a PCI card to hand.

Anyway, a bit of history closed. Still have a P: or two, still rock solid. Still not exactly great for gaming, but triple-screen working is soooo nice.