PC gaming still the best?

Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, May 24, 2009.

?

PC gaming, still the best?

1. Hell yes, nothing to touch it

62 vote(s)
    79.5%
  2. Yes, but I do like my console

6 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. I split gaming time between PC and consoles

5 vote(s)
    6.4%
  4. Console more

5 vote(s)
    6.4%
  5. Never game on my PC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pigdog

pigdog New Member

I actually get rather worried about the future of PC gaming. Case in point would be COC:MW2. The offering to PC gamers was terrible. The mutiplayer support is just poor and the single player component is less than 5 hours long.

Then there's rockstar and it's disinterest in looking after the PC'ers. It looks like we might never see the DLC on PC.

Platform exclusive's are evil, imho.

2. iPlayer

iPlayer Filled with noobsauce

I feel pc games that are actually multi platform releases are being "dumbed down", or rather streamlined to better fit the console market.

3. pigdog

pigdog New Member

Yeah, I get sick of reading reviews that mark games down for being a poor porting effort and a lot of that criticism is often made due the "percieved" dumbing down of things like the UI, the inventory etc.

The DLC for GTA4 is example of a different type of Port, or this case, the complete lack of a port - the dreaded platform exclusive deal. It's one that particulary annoys me as it's not as though they wouldn't make a bucket money by selling the DLC to the PC community. Every PC'er I know would buy it!

But then there are winners like Dirt2 which judging by Zard's DX11 review from a couple of days back appears to have gotten the right amount of lovin from Codemasters.

This means both console and PC'ers are happy and so are the dev's because they're making money form the "whole" gaming community.

4. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

unfortunately I do give more time to my PS3 than my PC. That's because of a few reasons:

1. 1080p looks pretty good nowadays, to run 1920x1080 my monitor is impossible. I can't afford a bigger monitor nor does my video card want to run a game well at that res (except source engine games)
    2. Its the developers that have begun making console to PC ports. WTF
    3. Tired of retardedly expensive video cards that are bigger than my playstation, that requires a whole slew of upgrades then get replaced within a few months. I paid over $550 CDN for my 8800GTS, only to live with a defective card. In addition, attrocious customer service from companies like BFG with a lifetime warranty. These video cards need to shrink in size, this is getting ridiculous.
    4. Too many buggy releases, too much problems with incompatable hardware. If I have an issue and few do its nearly impossible to fix often due to my hardware config.
    5. A lot of my friends have always been console gamers, and now with better multiplayer features its a lot easier to jump and play (wish I had Live!).

If PC games be smoother and more efficient, and probably create some more exclusives I'd play more often. Fallout 3 is better on the PC, but not a game that appeals. However shooters will always be better on the PC, and most RPG and strategy games. Adventure, sports and racing I always have enjoyed more on console (with the exception of NFS). I still love PC games, but developers give it the short end of the stick and graphic card manufacturers need to be more efficient! And they have found a new way to charge money for map packs which they now call "DLC". In addition, they have killed off mods. Nothing like good ol instagib and rocket arena or greatest mod of all: Counter-Strike.

Sorry!

5. pigdog

pigdog New Member

I agree with on every point you made, and because of those very points, I no longer consider PC gaming to be just a pick up and play platform. It's more like I'm a hobbyist now; that PC gaming is becoming more of an enthusiast pastiime rather than being a mainstream activity.

In fact sometimes I have more fun figuring out how to get a game to work on my PC than I get from playing the game itself. lol

I believe that there's work being down to bring in standard of game design that unifies all platforms, so that much less of an effort would be needed to customise products in regard to platform delivery, which would pe great.

My understanding is that it is being pursued through the development of DX11, 12 etc, but I may well be delusional.

Does anyone else know anything about about it?

6. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

i don't know, I think PC gaming hardware doesn't innovation right now, they need to make design simpler and easier. If the hardware didn't get outdated so quick and running new games was garbage it would be a lot more cost effective. all this 40x way SLi is just ridiculous. On top of that, I don't really see much hardcore clan talk like back in the days of Q3 and CS. If anything, more of them are on Live if anything unfortunately.

7. Sihastru

Sihastru Never been clicked

Spec-wise, I don't see how any current console can even touch a middle-to-high end PC. Playing in 720p or 1080p is nice, but it's nicer in 2560x1600... Most of my console using friends, have jaw dropping moments when they try some of their titles on my PC, and most of them have 32" HD ready TVs. So it's not the 30" of my LCD monitor they are admiring, it's the resolution and the incredible detail they never see when they play on their consoles.

If it wasn't for such a high piracy incidence on the PC side, most game developers would probably port PC games to consoles more and not vice-versa like it's happening now.

Consoles have one big limitation for me, they lack a mouse, sometimes they even lack a keyboard. There are certain types of games that you just can't really play well without a mouse, or without a few extra keyboard maps.

And on a personal note, I use my PC for "real" work, and I find it easy to hit Alt-Tab, or to close an app and double click a game icon, then switching to another "station" (= console in this case).

Console games look good when you play them from a 2-3m distance from the TV, PC games look good when you are in front of the monitor. If you have a 24-30" monitor, there is a much better immersion in the game.

Take for example shooters, the weapon position seems to be originating from your mouse, that you keep in your hand, so it seems that you're actually using the weapon. On a console, the TV is farther from your position, so it is difficult to think of the weapon as if you were holding it in the hand you hold the controller in.

There are many games consoles are 100% good for, but strategy games and shooters are the PCs dominion. It's one thing to point and click and it's something else to "direct" your crosshair at.

8. DJ BIG T

DJ BIG T DH FaN BoY

pc all the way but i do have a wii hooked up to a 50" plasma which its fun to play but not as much as my pc..

9. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

you just elaborated on every argument made by PC gamers nowadays.... and its just shooters and strategy unfortunately that have some edge. but graphics aren't everything. Halo proves that, the Wii as well. The only reason shooters work on console is because the game itself is noticeably slowed down so you can aim, there is no way in hell you can pull off the moves like you can in Q3 on a 360 controller. Great, I can alt+tab out of Crysis, then when it crashes due to my forceware drivers or creative drivers having an issue its really annoying. then maybe my issue isn't widespread enough, takes even LONGER for resolution. There's always far more issues with the PC counterparts which limits me and others from jumping in and playing. Its a few games I find that have really good coding and work well. Usually its a product from blizzard, or valve. It surprises me too because PC's are usually the easiest to code for from my knowledge, but I guess trouble shooting based on diff configs is harder. 360's codebase is similar to the PC, which also makes it easier apparently. PS3 won't reach it potential because of it unnecessary complexity of 6+1 cores.

And obviously PC hardware wins, but man to get reasonable performance every year and a half, I have to spend over $350 on a card that makes the FX5800 blowdryer look ridiculous... then add in cost of games. Its just becoming more and more useless. I think the marketplace is looking for simplicity more and more... that's why tightly woven products like the iPhone and 360 are so popular, and windows mobile is a mess. You end up giving up certain things for benefits (cost is flexibilty, given up over to the benefits stability and fun).

10. buburuza76

buburuza76 HH member

of course pc gaming rocks. because i don`t have nothing else to play on.

11. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

If its a First person shooter then its a PC rig for me 9 times out of 10 but for racing and platforms etc i admit that a console has its attractions

12. demarc

demarc New Member

want to play a new game?

PC: check pc requirements, check HD space (not everybody has large drives), install, troubleshoot (sometimes or all the time? lol), tweak settings to run games properly amd smoothly, sit on a computer chair? (i sit on a couch, that's because i setup the pc in front of a couch and use a 360 controller for pc, unusual setup i know with the couch)

Console: want to play a new game? stick the disk on the drive wait a few minutes and you're ready to go, no to minimal settings to change or tweak, no console requirements to worry about, sit on a couch or lazy boy or whatever

want to play with somebody?

PC: get him to buy the game and upgrade his pc and get an inernet connection

Console: stick another controller on the cosole and drop it on his hand and you're both good to go

Cost:

PC: upgrade every year or 2 years to run newer games properly on high settings

Console: upgrade harddrive? new games run the same on the console ver even after 5 years. est console lifetime

i think coders screw pc games all the time. pc has far more and advance hardware resource compared to console hardware but you need mid to top-of-the-line hardware to run new games properly on pc all the time

graphics wise:

pc wins but it costs more to achieve that

BTW i game on pc. no reason to buy console when i already have a pc that i use for work also. also pc is multi-purpose which is a big ++++ for me

CDsDontBurn and BiGBrOwNPimpsta like this.
  13. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

this man speaks the word!

14. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

very well said! +1

my PC is too dated to even play any of the new games. 360 FTW! :p :D

15. Optix

Optix Slave To Technology

I used to be a console gamer (NES, SNES, Genesis, TG16, PS, PS2, N64, Saturn, Dreamcast) but then I got into computers and it has been PC gaming all the way ever since.

To this day I can't pinpoint what flipped the switch and made me change.

16. Zian5377

Zian5377 New Member

Console gamers will never understand the true dedication of PC Gamers, we devote our time, money, and personal safety (PC fans are dangerous) to keep our PC's running optimally to play the latest games and use the latest Apps, We don't play watered down PC ports to Xbox/PS3 we play our games at the settings we want and at the resolution we want WE ARE NOT BOUND TO 1080P!!!! Sorry about that... Anyways we show the most dedication and passion to our gaming hobby than any console fan boy can even fathom!!

Sorry if I offend any of you Console Fan Boys, just voicing my opinion no harm meant!

17. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

having once been a PC gamer myself, i actually do understand what you mean.

running "watered down PC ports" is a double sided sword. there have been a few games that have been ported from console to PC where the game for whatever reason still just "doesn't play right" on PC.

resolution limitation? 1080p is pretty high IMO. higher than the average gamer plays at, 1680x1050 on their 22in. monitor. a 24in TV/monitor that supports 1080p is playing at 1920x1080 ;).

i highly doubt that dedicated PC gamers show "more dedication than console fanboys can fathom." i know quite a few PC gamers and console gamers that are highly dedicated and have a massive collection of games, hardware, accessories, and other stuff as well.

i bet you anything, that if you were to select 100 random people at a public location, most of them would say they play on a console than PC. on a tech forum like here for example, of course PC is going to have the higher vote. tech forums are already PC biased to begin with.

18. demarc

demarc New Member

pc gamers are like linux people - they like to change settings, tweak, maximize potential of their rigs
    console gamers are like windows people (or more like mac people) - they like to just play and not worry about settings and tweaking (who would not want that?)

consoles are convenient, easy, simple
    pc's are complex, multipurpose

i wish they make games for pc's that does not need installing like on consoles but the problem is how are they going to sell hard drives?

i tell you guys PC's are one BIG conspiracy box / unit
    tell the coders to "up" the required specs so they would buy new CPU's and GPU's
    tell the coders to "un" optimize the games for PC's so they would need new hardware
    let' make it so that they need to install the games so they would run out of disk space and would buy large hard drives
    let's make the game available for download so they would consume disk space and save us money on physical disk / box cost

19. Zian5377

Zian5377 New Member

Yeah I guess I was a bit biased there, I actually have a friend who likes to compete in Console gaming tournaments here, he makes a good bit of money for winning the tournaments and does spend a lot of time practicing to make his skills "Ub3R L33T" or something like that.

I just got a little ahead of myself and then fell down the hill and couldn't stop hehe, it happens.

20. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

im no fanboy, but its definitely losing appeal....if a game runs 1920x1080p on the ps3, that same game will normally runs crappier on my PC (I know because I sometimes will struggle at 1680x1050, the max res I have). Again depends on the game. Also going back to linux arguments, there's a lot of people that won't admit on the internet (being techies), but there's always that inner geek that makes people think "I'M SO TECHNICAL, OMG I KNOW COMPUTERS BETTER THAN YOU IT MAKES ME COOLER!". Not really... just because you memorize a bunch of steps to input commands doesn't make you a better person. Then you gotta reboot into windows to play Starcraft, or then you can brag on Digg how you have a Windows emulator on top of Linux and let people know you should use it to prove how MS are whores. Windows is widely used for a reason...I get tired of geeks that keep bragging "I setup my system with this multi-boot and wasted all my savings on this crap, yet I can't afford a car or a woman, but I still have my linux commands to pwn you!!". Linux is GREAT, BUT STFU!:mad::mad: You might see these nerds in your local BestBuy making a career (no offense to BB employees). It's like Emos: trying to hate the mainstream, but have created their own mainstream subculture.

Bottom line: hardware complexity unfortunately is not the game changer here. I love a good PC port even better a console version, but its not piracy alone messing it up. shit needs to be more efficient with the hardware, computers are getting smaller and yet video gaming rigs are taking in as much power as my fridge. That's not something to brag about. Blame could go on nVidia/ATi should raping you on graphic cards costs to play a game and the excessive laziness of porting from devs (i.e. CoD and Rainbow Six Vegas). These publishers (I find mostly North American companies) put pressure on devs how to push out a sequel ASAP to maintain revenues rather than try a number of diff series of games with higher quality (i.e. Rockstar and Blizzard). End of the day, you keep trying to maximize shareholder's equity, you turn yourself into the Need For Speed franchise eventually :D .