PC random restarts

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Neshi, May 9, 2019.

1. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

Hey guys.
    My computer was working perfectly but then I left on a 5 week holiday. I've come back, but now my PC is acting up.

It randomly restarts, but when restarting it fails for like five times. It's like the PSU shorts out or something, but then it successfully restarts and then it will work fine for like an hour or so.

I can't figure out what's wrong... What do you think?

2. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

Now that I think of it, Tipstaff and the others suggested a shorting switch (reset or power switch) for a user who was having similar problems. Although I can't remember what they recommended that you should try to do.

3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Definitely sounds like something electrical. Was it plugged in during your absence? Maybe some static buildup or whatever needs to be discharged. Otherwise, most likely it's something with the PSU, less likely mobo and unlikely something else.

4. Neshi

Thanks ivan!
    Right! I thought so to. It was plugged in, but the plug was turned off.
    On any case, how would a discharge work?

5. IvanV

Hmm, if the plug was turned off, I'm not sure what could have happened to it. I'm afraid we're in the try and see territory here... I'd unplug it and give the on and reset switches a couple of tries, maybe unplug the PSU from both the mains and the motherboard and then try to "jumpstart" it (there are two pins that need to be shorted for that). Although the PC is probably grounded and that shouldn't be an issue. Also, I'd check if anything had come loose (unlikely if the PC was just sitting there, but still) and do a BIOS reset in case the current settings somehow got corrupted. If none of that helps, I'd look into borrowing a PSU to see if changing it helps.

Hopefully someone with more experience in troubleshooting PCs will drop by and have more specific ideas, I mostly just sort out my own PCs when I have to and, knock on wood, they mostly behave well.

6. Neshi

I'm very close to just take it to the shop and get them to sort it out... As you said, it was just sitting there, unplugged, hasn't been moved or used, so I'm unsure what could have happened to it.

7. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Having similar? issue with a desktop PC for some time now. I don't have time to deal with it yet so I Can't provide any answer. But if you find my thread you can check what I have tried so far to get ideas.

8. IvanV

If it was unplugged... maybe it is just BIOS (as I type this, I hear a good friend of mine saying "Dude, I love you so much because you're such an optimist!" :D). IDK, the BIOS battery almost always keeps everything in order, but I had a PC that acted exactly like that (newly assembled, it would fail to boot x times, but when it managed to boot it would work just fine for a while) and it was sorted by a BIOS reset.

Trusteft likes this.
  9. Neshi

Thanks to both of you. I will try a bios reset and will read your thread trusteft

Trusteft likes this.
  10. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Reset by going in the bios and resetting it from there, or removing the battery?

11. IvanV

Removing the battery and shorting the jumper (if that is still a thing).

Trusteft likes this.
  12. Neshi

nowadays it seems motherboard manufacturers have gotten better at this sort of thing. There is a jumper on the motherboard, and it covers 2 out of a 3 pin connection.
    After disconnecting everything and after removing the CMOS battery, I put the jumper on the other 2 pins, so basically instead of the left 2 pins, I've moved it to the right 2 pins (the middle pin overlaps in this case).
    Then I held the startup button for 15 seconds to discharge any leftover charge that might remain in the PSU, and waited 15 minutes as per ASROCK instructions.

I put the jumper in its original position, put the CMOS battery back and reconnected everything.

I have successfully watched episode 1 of Game of Thrones without any hitch. So I think it's all good now.

Thanks everybody for your help!

13. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

Be sure to check out the Game of Thrones thread once you're caught up. :)

And here's hoping everything is fixed now.