phenom ii x4 940 questions

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by MisterFatal, Dec 9, 2010.

1. MisterFatal

MisterFatal New Member

As of now I'm running my phenom 940 at 3.4 Ghz with 1.375v and it seems pretty stable, But when I bump it up to 3.5ghz it crashes on prime95 (small FFT's test) within 15 minutes, even bumped up at 1.3875v it will fail.
    -I read that I should be able to get 3.5 stable with only 1.36-1.375v. I havn't tried bumping up the volts any higher, anyone else needing over 1.38v to get a stable 3.5 on this processor? BTW my temps right now are 45c load with prime95 and they were going only 51c (with the 3.5ghz@1.3875v) when it crashed.
    Cool N' quiet disabled, Spread spectrum disabled.
    AMD phenom ii x4 940BE, Xigmatek balder
    corsair 750TX PSU
    biostar 790gx A2+
    2x adata 2gb ram DDR2 800 it is on auto, but it shows the correct default timings in CPU-Z
    HD 4850

2. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

There is no thing as "should be able to" when it comes to CPU's. All are individual. While one can, the next one can't. You just have to find out what settings work for yours by trial and error.

Don't forget that everything plays together. It might be a ram setting that is to tight and causes failure at that cpu speed and so on. Overclocking isn't just cranking up speeds and voltages, it's definately a lot more to it than that.

3. MisterFatal

MisterFatal New Member

yea it could be the RAM also. The ram settings are on auto but they show up at the correct speed by default, and they are spec for only 1.8v I think(default also). You think i should get some better ram?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  4. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

I didn't say that. What I mean is that you might have to play around with the timings a bit. Also be aware that other BIOS settings for CPU and northbridge are important in making it work well.

5. MisterFatal

MisterFatal New Member

Ahh dang, I figured I could hit 3.5ghz with just the vcore and multipliers. Guess I gotta read into it more now